User Tag List

First 31394041424351 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    I'm not saying the culture should be preserved per se. I am saying it should not be lost due to socio-economic factors beyond the control of the individual. It leads to less behavioral variation and lower survival ratios (imo) for the species.
    I think you're conflating race, ways of speaking and culture in a false way. It shoves minority people and politicians into these very narrow boxes of what it means to be Latino or to be black or to be anything else

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    I think you're conflating race, ways of speaking and culture in a false way. It shoves minority people and politicians into these very narrow boxes of what it means to be Latino or to be black or to be anything else
    I think you don't appreciate stereotypes which is understandable, I do not either, but what do you think facebook and other marketers do with your demographic information? They build profiles of what you're statistically likely to do or not do based on factors like these. My desire is to preserve variations in being. Well, the ones that allow for co-existence.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    You guys have been lied to... or so I hear. skip to 5:00 if you'd like.
    I thought this was great. And I especially appreciated how he said about Romney "the ones who put the cement shoes on his feet are now blaming him for sinking." The same thing happened to McCain. Before he was nominated, I really admired him and might have voted for him. He always struck me as one of the most honest and uncorrupted people in politics. If I thought that once elected HE would be the leader, it would have been the first election where I would have considered voting for a Republican. But he was fitted for those cement shoes when he was nominated. The party, IMO, is bringing down people who could be very good centrist leaders but who have no choice but to play the tune on the sheet given to them by the RNC.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Someone other than Rubio would be a better choice to appeal to hispanics. I would suggest someone of Mexican heritage.
    There we go.

You are hopelessly off the mark.

When we win we do it with ideas (see Reagan era republicans). When you win you generally do it when the conversation revolves around helping out the ligttle man. We focus on making the govt run better, while you guys focus on expanding the welfare state. Sometime your ideas are needed and sometimes ours are.

It doesn't matter what our candidates look like when our ideas on the economy are preferable.

The way we are heading economically is going to mathematically require spending restraint. That reigning in spending is a bigger part of our fiscal problem than is raising revenues.

We dont need to try to "out populism" the dems (become dem light) we need to return to properly conservative policy ideas we will win for that reason alone.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    The same thing happened to McCain. Before he was nominated, I really admired him and might have voted for him. He always struck me as one of the most honest and uncorrupted people in politics. If I thought that once elected HE would be the leader, it would have been the first election where I would have considered voting for a Republican. But he was fitted for those cement shoes when he was nominated.
    I share your perspective on McCain. I so much wanted him to have the nomination back in 2000, but he was outmaneuvered by Bush and the Bob Jones / Carolinas slog and was sent spiraling out of the race. By the time he had his chance in 2008, not only had the country changed a bit, but his own party (IMO) destroyed him because of the hoops it made him jump through. The whole Sarah Palin debacle was just an additional whammy; the McCain I had known and respected never really showed up in the 2008 presidential election.

Bring me someone who is less corrupt and more honest, and i'm willing to vote for them regardless of party.

I don't much like Romney as a person, but I feel sympathy for him; and I do think the party betrayed him, during and after the election. Leader responses to Romney actually get tucked away in my head for later reference; those that turned on Romney lose some respect from me, but any Republicans who actually took ownership of the loss and are trying to work positively to change their strategies gain some respect. That's part of what leadership is.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Oh my gay if function studies are tedious pieces of crap then don't even get me started with politics.

It's such a complicated system incapable for common sense analysis.

Leave it up to ENTJs and INTJs to discover the secrets within and manipulate the political machines in their favor.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    blah blah tirade republican talking points blah blah
    You just don't understand that a sea change has occurred in which people no longer view those ideas as being in their best interest. Politics has always been about playing on multiple levels that's why you guys are losing right now.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I share your perspective on McCain. I so much wanted him to have the nomination back in 2000, but he was outmaneuvered by Bush and the Bob Jones / Carolinas slog and was sent spiraling out of the race. By the time he had his chance in 2008, not only had the country changed a bit, but his own party (IMO) destroyed him because of the hoops it made him jump through. The whole Sarah Palin debacle was just an additional whammy; the McCain I had known and respected never really showed up in the 2008 presidential election.

Bring me someone who is less corrupt and more honest, and i'm willing to vote for them regardless of party.
    I couldn't agree more. Back in 2000, McCain was my #1 choice of the serious contenders. I really, really appreciated his stance on campaign finance reform, in particular. My order of preference was McCain > Bradley > Gore >>>>>>>>> GW Bush (yes, I hated him and his policies long before his "election" in 2000). Now, I'm a pretty liberal fellow, but I'm not a democrat (my first vote for president was for... Ross Perot). Having said that, I've never voted for a Republican for major office, but I would have been happy to vote for McCain in 2000. The fact that the Republican party (and voters) chose Bush over McCain, particularly in light of the way Bush ran his primary campaign, I found repugnant.

Of course, McCain seems to have jumped off of the deep end (or been thrown off) sometime between 2000 and 2008. I could never have considered him in 2008, and unless he changes a lot (unlikely), I could not consider him in the future.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

You just don't understand that a sea change has occurred in which people no longer view those ideas as being in their best interest. Politics has always been about playing on multiple levels that's why you guys are losing right now.
    What ideas are you talking about? Do you even know?

Do you understand the difference between restrained conservative policy and the neo-con corporate statism that has arisen on the right?

Do you understand the tight rope that every representative must walk between largesse and austerity?

Do you understand the problem of "double dipping" within benefit qualifications, or the finesse needed to take a firm stance in Near East negotiations while trying to act in the best interests of regional stability?

Can you reconcile the delegate vs. representative problem?

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

From Bloomberg:

Can Jindal, Rubio and Ryan Save The Republican Party?

“We cannot just be a party that protects the rich,” said Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal of his fellow Republicans. “The rich can protect themselves.”

Only a few weeks after an electoral drubbing, three leading Republicans have settled on very similar accounts of what went wrong for their party. Jindal, Senator Marco Rubio of Florida and Representative Paul Ryan of Wisconsin are all talking about middle-class economic concerns. All three men seem to have realized that failing to address these concerns was the party’s biggest mistake, and rectifying that mistake is now its biggest challenge.

Republicans have been vigorously debating the meaning of last month’s election. Some argue that it wasn’t a catastrophe requiring major change, just a setback. For them, the party’s most urgent task is to refine its techniques for getting out the vote. Others say that the party needs to support comprehensive immigration reform to appeal to Hispanics. Still others counsel the party to be less conservative on moral issues. Some also say the party went astray by nominating a wealthy moderate, Mitt Romney, for president.
    Economic Message

Jindal, Rubio and Ryan, three of the top potential Republican candidates for president in 2016, have not explicitly rejected any of these theories. They may believe some of them, at least a bit. Rubio, for example, has been trying to change the party’s approach to immigration. But their statements since the election have concentrated on strengthening the party’s economic message -- which is the true root of its electoral problems.

Rubio and Ryan devoted their speeches at the Jack Kemp Foundation’s annual dinner last week to the topics of upward mobility and the American dream. Ryan, while praising Romney, distanced himself from his former running mate’s “47 percent” gaffe by saying, “We must speak to the aspirations and anxieties of every American.”

Republicans are good at representing the concerns of entrepreneurs, he said, but fall short in explaining how they would strengthen families and communities and help people lift themselves out of poverty.

Rubio spoke more specifically about middle-class anxieties. He called for revamping federal aid policies to make it easier for people to get an education without taking “the traditional four-year college route.”

He also touted his bipartisan legislation on college aid: “Before they take out a student loan, let’s make sure students and their parents know how long it will take them to complete their education, what their likelihood of completion is, how much they can expect to make after graduation, and how much their monthly payment on the loan is going to be.”
    ‘Aspirational Party’

Jindal has been making the same basic case in interviews. He complained after the election that too many voters associate Republicans with big business. He told me recently that “we were the party that opposed the president instead of providing constructive alternatives.” Although he dislikes the health-care law President Barack Obama is putting in place, he also said, “Americans are rightly worried about rising health-care costs.”

Even the language the three men are using these days is similar. “We need to show folks that we are an aspirational party,” Jindal said. “We need to be the party that represents the upward mobility,” a party that believes “every single American has the same American dream, and we want to help them.”

Liberal commentators have pointed out that this rhetoric hasn’t been matched by much in the way of innovative new policies. None of these men has proposed that Republicans push for a larger child tax credit with the same passion they bring to lowering taxes on capital, for example. But they are heading in the right direction.

Another complaint from some of the liberal reviewers -- that these Republicans still hold a range of views that are fairly typical of their party -- is beside the point. As Jindal put it, there’s no need for a second Democratic Party. He’s interested in “coming up with smart policy solutions, connecting that to the aspirations of all voters, and going out there.”

Going out where? Jindal, the next chairman of the Republican Governors Association, may have provided a clue when he said, “Republican governors are going to provide the examples of leadership.” Watch your backs, Messrs. Rubio and Ryan.

For now, though, any rivalry among this group is between the lines, and what they have in common is striking. Judging from some of its rising stars, the Republican Party is learning the right lessons from the election, and learning them pretty rapidly at that.

(Ramesh Ponnuru is a Bloomberg View columnist and a senior editor at National Review. The opinions expressed are his own.)