User Tag List

First 30383940414250 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by C.J.Woolf View Post
    Marco Rubio is not like most Hispanic Americans. He's Miami Cuban; his parents emigrated in 1956. Most Miami Cubans are upper or middle class people who fled the revolution. Culturally, he is authentically "white", and Republican to the core.
    He's also authentically hispanic, and I see no reason he wouldn't appeal to the type of alienated hispanic voters who previously voted for Bush....which, in the long-term, will likely become 'most hispanic Americans', at least as far as economic circumstances are concerned.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    I agree with @lowtech redneck

Why is it assumed that they've adopted a "white" persona rather than just being part the culture where they grew up. It's wrongly connecting certain behaviors to certain races. Sort of the same thing when people were commenting on how "articulate" Obama was.

Why wouldn't we expect affluent black to be more similar to their affluent peers than poor blacks?

I wouldn't call Rubio or Keyes inauthentic for not trying "act more like minorities".

I don't think minorities are put of by people who don't embody stereotypes about them.

I guess it's also a question of whether you expect people to represent you just because your the same race. For example, bobby jindal, Is a convert to Christianity and has a very southern accent. He may not represent the average Indian-American, but why should he. I'd he is behaving on accordance with how his experience of life, why should he have to be "more Indian".
    Because I've seen rich people of every race who act differently based on the various pressures they've experienced in their life. The rich ones who never had to adopt a different culture to achieve success seem happier to me.

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    ^um, ok, so apparently you're saying that the lack of a pronounced 'ethnic' accent on the part of Rubio (and Keyes) is something that would come across as inauthentic to voters of their same ethnicity? It doesn't seem that different from the homogenizing effect of mass media on all regionally/culturally distinct accents (such as Southern accents, which are generally a significant handicap as far as national job opportunities are concerned, especially if said jobs involve the need to communicate with diverse groups of people across the nation). I still don't see what that has to do with the 'thought patterns' of affluent whites, though.
    No, it's not about ethnicizing candidates to be made more palatable it is about being accepted. It's about not having to act differently than you would around family in order to be accepted. Also, it is about knowing that the people you care about would be accepted amongst your friends. Among my friends I've spoken about how hanging out around affluent whites from Orange County (a heavily republican area in California) can feel uncomfortable because of a sense of discomfort in the interaction. It's not a white people thing in other words, but becomes associated more with the Republican party. How people treat one another affects how accepted they feel and thus whether or not they identify with the person and how likely they are to vote in a way that favors one set of interests over another.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    Because I've seen rich people of every race who act differently based on the various pressures they've experienced in their life. The rich ones who never had to adopt a different culture to achieve success seem happier to me.
    So what's your point about all of this?

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    So what's your point about all of this?
    They're different discussions. They're not connected in my head, but I was responding to the questions asked of me. If you're referring to my earlier post, then my point was that the "token" minorities in the Republican party are often not relatable figures to minorities just as Mitt Romney was not relatable to many whites. The difference being that hispanics have no reason to "hold their nose" for a party they have no intrinsic loyalty to.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Why are you assuming they've adopted a different culture rather than actually having a different culture. Culture is not inherently tied to race. Your assuming these people are different when not in public. I'm suggestin it's simply an affluent personality rather than a affluent And white personality

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Why are you assuming they've adopted a different culture rather than actually having a different culture. Culture is not inherently tied to race. Your assuming these people are different when not in public. I'm suggestin it's simply an affluent personality rather than a affluent And white personality
    I'm saying their group has become enculturated and lost variation. This is actually a big problem in different fields such as linguistics where languages are being lost at an exponential rate globally that contain unique concepts that do not exist in other languages. Imo, it's a loss to humanity on par with the loss of genetic variation globally due to deforestation. A loss to the "thought forests" if you will as globalization replicates the same thinking styles the world over.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I meant whats your point regarding the future of the Republican party.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Someone other than Rubio would be a better choice to appeal to hispanics. I would suggest someone of Mexican heritage.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

I'm saying their group has become enculturated and lost variation. This is actually a big problem in different fields such as linguistics where languages are being lost at an exponential rate globally that contain unique concepts that do not exist in other languages. Imo, it's a loss to humanity on par with the loss of genetic variation globally due to deforestation. A loss to the "thought forests" if you will as globalization replicates the same thinking styles the world over.
    It's not a loss if it never existed in that individual. I just think it's placing the burden of a stereotype on all people of retain races. They shouldn't be expected to embody cultural traditions they aren't a part of. A rich black guy from Connecticut can't be expected to have the same culture as say a Gullah. I also think it's a little segregating that people would feel compelled to have some kind of racial culture rather than say a regional culture. I don't think people should have to be something their not for the sake of preserving a culture they aren't apart of. Cultural traditions are good but race isn't the same as culture.

Think of those affluent white people. Your assuming that they are being authentic but in your libe of reasonig all of them really should be preserving European traditions. I think it's the perpetuation of the idea of minorities as "the other" or homogenous groups with a single experience

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

It's not a loss if it never existed in that individual. I just think it's placing the burden of a stereotype on all people of retain races. They shouldn't be expected to embody cultural traditions they aren't a part of. A rich black guy from Connecticut can't be expected to have the same culture as say a Gullah. I also think it's a little segregating that people would feel compelled to have some kind of racial culture rather than say a regional culture. I don't think people should have to be something their not for the sake of preserving a culture they aren't apart of. Cultural traditions are good but race isn't the same as culture.

Think of those affluent white people. Your assuming that they are being authentic but in your libe of reasonig all of them really should be preserving European traditions. I think it's the perpetuation of the idea of minorities as "the other" or homogenous groups with a single experience
    I'm not saying the culture should be preserved per se. I am saying it should not be lost due to socio-economic factors beyond the control of the individual. It leads to less behavioral variation and lower survival ratios (imo) for the species.