User Tag List

First 234561454 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    You guys will pine for the days of our extremism once we've reformed the party.
    Are you saying that because ya'll will start winning again once the party's gotten its shit together? Or because it will have become an ultra-conservative Frankenparty causing all who gaze upon it to long for death after knowing the true horrors of the abyss?
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Wind-Up Rex View Post
    Are you saying that because ya'll will start winning again once the party's gotten its shit together? Or because it will have become an ultra-conservative Frankenparty causing all who gaze upon it to long for death after knowing the true horrors of the abyss?
    We will be dominant.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

We will be dominant.
    Oh? What's your take on the way forward for the party, then?
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

MBTI
    INTP

We will be dominant.
    How? Are you counting on the sleeping giant you woke with your angry-white-man rhetoric going back to sleep?

MBTI
    xxTP

People like to exaggerate a lot.

If Obama doesn't fix the economy by 2016, the Dems will have some brutal primaries and discredit themselves as much as the GOP did in these primaries, with a number of leftists running and forcing the centre-ground candidates to speak "to the left" to win the nomination. And the Republicans will then get in by default in 2016.

All this about demographic changes is exaggerated. A lot of Hispanics are Catholic and socially conservative, and the white blue-collar workers of Ohio were decisive. If the economic situation is still bad in 4 years then the republicans win over Ohio and Florida by just taking a larger minority of Hispanic Florida and blue-collar Ohio votes.

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

You guys will pine for the days of our extremism once we've reformed the party.
    im amazed by number, of their own target demograph, republicans lost. it reallly was not a small number.

MBTI
    xxTP

Quote Originally Posted by gasoline View Post
    im amazed by number, of their own target demograph, republicans lost. it reallly was not a small amount.
    This applies to the Democrats as well then.

Absolute voter numbers were lower, while the Repubs increased their percentage and the Dems decreased theirs. Republicans strengthened in their core demographic compared to 2008.

Everyone reading this will think I am a Republican. To be honest I'm a foreigner, and in terms of foreign policy, I prefer Obama as he will not give a blank cheque to Israel. So if I have any stake in this, it is with Obama.

However, I prefer the discourse of the Romney supporters here than the Obama supporters, hence my sympathy with them, despite the fact I do not buy into the whole Tea Party economic agenda.

Society

this is the situation: communal suburbia flat lined with the rise of gas prices and increasing debts leading to bad credit ratings and mortgages, urbanization and living density is on the rise, more people are growing up and live in close proximity and become acquaintance, peers, friends, and partners with people of a different race, sexuality & religion, more people become pluralistic in their world view, and the old fear of the strange and unfamiliar, becomes alienating and strange in itself as those extents of differences become familiar. the fear becomes an offense against members of their personal tribes within their own lives, if not straight up against themselves. as a result, framing republicans as white xenophobes becomes a remarkably effective meme (regardless if its by the hand of others or - perhaps all too common - by the hand of louder republicans). for most, now white guy's village is now the new creepy and unfamiliar, people need to look at the party and see their own familiar hometown, not everyone, but enough for it to be politically meaningful, because in the end of the day our ability to identify with our leaders is a huge part of democratic culture.

to change that framing and address their alienation towards the younger generations, they would actually need to change the composition of their Representative, not merely a few tokens the rest could rise on, or shout "blacks? some of my best friends are blacks, but actually have people members of other races as the Representatives people stand behind, that means a lot of current Representatives giving up their sits, not a stretch of media representation or even the content of their words, but the actual people sitting in it. that is, extremely unlikely to happen, because very few people are going to give up their sits for the greater good of their party's PR.

but i bet they will go back into power, without addressing the alienation of the current young. why? because with longevity and lower child birth, the population graphs pyramid has being toning its edges into a streamlined tower, and younger age groups are no longer the voting majority. so what happens to the democrat who get older? they aren't going to suddenly change who they stand with, will they? i mean, we are young and progressive, we won't ever become conservative...
    except that's utter bullshit. we might not become conservative about the current issues, but their will be new issues, their will be stuff that younger people then us support and live by and accept, and we get alienated about, more often then not, triggering you to stand for a value you didn't even know you had. we are getting set in our modern ways, and soon those ways will be the older ways, and there's going to be a point in your life where you look at the new trends, and something about the brave new world is going to offend the crap out of sensibilities.

how? mind me a moment of indulgent Ne:
    whatever it is, you'll be playing society from a new position, because now they are shitting all over YOUR tradition and values.

as long as democrats represent the socially progressive aspects of society, people will want someone to call when they've grown to appose these aspects.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Che Parla View Post
    If the economic situation is still bad in 4 years then the republicans win over Ohio and Florida by just taking a larger minority of Hispanic Florida and blue-collar Ohio votes.
    That would require a case of collective amnesia over what the last Republican administration did with the economy. But then American voters are prone to that.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Wind-Up Rex View Post
    Oh? What's your take on the way forward for the party, then?
    Rubio, Jeb, Christie, Huntsman, Portman, Sandoval, Martinez etc.....

Whats surprising is that we didn't do worse than we did, given how badly the hard right is fucking things up for the rest of us.