User Tag List

First 29373839404149 Last

Results 381 to 390 of 798

  1. #381
    LL P. Stewie Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,813

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    I don't think anything will ultimately come of this, but it is a surprising shift in tune from Demint.



    http://www.kansascity.com/2012/11/28...r-open-to.html
    An even bigger shift.

    Sen. Jim DeMint, the tea party stalwart of South Carolina, will resign from the Senate in January to head the Heritage Foundation
    http://dailycaller.com/2012/12/06/de...ge-foundation/

    Long term this is good for the conservative movement. In the short term we'll have to see who replaces him. I'm pulling for state senator Tom Davis.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

  2. #382
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,675

    Default

    Sinn Fein arent running out of steam :P

  3. #383
    Senior Member UniqueMixture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp
    Posts
    3,036

    Default

    Yeah, the thing about Rubio is he looks fairly white for a hispanic so in many ways he can "pass" if he "acts white." The average hispanic person is darker in complexion and cannot and so they get treated differently. This is why notable random examples within the Republican party are often not representative of the average hispanic. Even though it is more difficult for african-americans to do this you do see people like Alan Keyes who take on the speech/thought patterns of more affluent whites in order to signal "I'm just like you" in the business community. It's this weird cultural meme where people born into a place where their race is around 10% of total population and the other 90% is something else and in a position of power over them take on the characteristics of the majority. However, often they come from affluent backgrounds themselves others within the minority who do not have those similarities/perceive themselves in the same way don't have as many opportunities to "make the jump" from one cultural meme set to another nor should they have to.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

  4. #384
    Senior Member lowtech redneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    speech/thought patterns of more affluent whites
    What are these 'thought patterns' of more affluent whites, and in what way are those thought patterns distinct from cultural/behavoral characteristics which led to affluence in the first place? Alan Keynes never seemed to me to behave any more like a typical affluent white person than Jerry Falwell, and neither is likely to fit the 'stuff white people like' profile, which (while obviously exaggerated for comedic effect) is the first thing that comes to mind when I think of 'thought patterns' and affluent whites. Or do you mean the embrace of upwardly mobile, middle-class values? And if so, why would that be a bad thing that minorities 'shouldn't have to do', or for that matter, something inherently different from hispanic culture? Basically, I'm asking what, aside from a lighter complexion (the effect of which I have to wonder about in light of the fact that most hispanics identify as white), would make Rubio come across as inauthentically hispanic?

  5. #385
    Senior Member UniqueMixture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp
    Posts
    3,036

    Default

    ^
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

  6. #386
    Senior Member lowtech redneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,705

    Default

    ^um, ok, so apparently you're saying that the lack of a pronounced 'ethnic' accent on the part of Rubio (and Keyes) is something that would come across as inauthentic to voters of their same ethnicity? It doesn't seem that different from the homogenizing effect of mass media on all regionally/culturally distinct accents (such as Southern accents, which are generally a significant handicap as far as national job opportunities are concerned, especially if said jobs involve the need to communicate with diverse groups of people across the nation). I still don't see what that has to do with the 'thought patterns' of affluent whites, though.

  7. #387
    Senior Member Pseudo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx
    Posts
    2,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    Yeah, the thing about Rubio is he looks fairly white for a hispanic so in many ways he can "pass" if he "acts white." The average hispanic person is darker in complexion and cannot and so they get treated differently. This is why notable random examples within the Republican party are often not representative of the average hispanic. Even though it is more difficult for african-americans to do this you do see people like Alan Keyes who take on the speech/thought patterns of more affluent whites in order to signal "I'm just like you" in the business community. It's this weird cultural meme where people born into a place where their race is around 10% of total population and the other 90% is something else and in a position of power over them take on the characteristics of the majority. However, often they come from affluent backgrounds themselves others within the minority who do not have those similarities/perceive themselves in the same way don't have as many opportunities to "make the jump" from one cultural meme set to another nor should they have to.

    I agree with @lowtech redneck

    Why is it assumed that they've adopted a "white" persona rather than just being part the culture where they grew up. It's wrongly connecting certain behaviors to certain races. Sort of the same thing when people were commenting on how "articulate" Obama was.

    Why wouldn't we expect affluent black to be more similar to their affluent peers than poor blacks?

    I wouldn't call Rubio or Keyes inauthentic for not trying "act more like minorities".

    I don't think minorities are put of by people who don't embody stereotypes about them.

    I guess it's also a question of whether you expect people to represent you just because your the same race. For example, bobby jindal, Is a convert to Christianity and has a very southern accent. He may not represent the average Indian-American, but why should he. I'd he is behaving on accordance with how his experience of life, why should he have to be "more Indian".

  8. #388
    respect the brick C.J.Woolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    424

    Default

    Marco Rubio is not like most Hispanic Americans. He's Miami Cuban; his parents emigrated in 1956. Most Miami Cubans are upper or middle class people who fled the revolution. Culturally, he is authentically "white", and Republican to the core.

  9. #389
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    14,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by C.J.Woolf View Post
    Marco Rubio is not like most Hispanic Americans. He's Miami Cuban; his parents emigrated in 1956. Most Miami Cubans are upper or middle class people who fled the revolution. Culturally, he is authentically "white", and Republican to the core.
    So?

  10. #390
    respect the brick C.J.Woolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    424

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    So?
    I was commenting on the "acting white" thang.

Similar Threads

  1. Former Republican staffer's extremely scathing critique of the Republican party.
    By Magic Poriferan in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-23-2011, 07:29 PM
  2. The Future of Microprocessors
    By ygolo in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-15-2011, 04:23 AM
  3. Unity within the upper echelons of the Republican Party begins to crack.
    By DiscoBiscuit in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 10-26-2009, 12:18 PM
  4. The Death of the Republican Party, Stardate Unknown
    By Wind Up Rex in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 08-08-2009, 01:58 PM
  5. Your Predictions About the Future of Psychotherapy
    By ThatsWhatHeSaid in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-06-2008, 07:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO