User Tag List

First 29373839404149 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    I don't think anything will ultimately come of this, but it is a surprising shift in tune from Demint.

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/11/28...r-open-to.html
    An even bigger shift.

Sen. Jim DeMint, the tea party stalwart of South Carolina, will resign from the Senate in January to head the Heritage Foundation
    http://dailycaller.com/2012/12/06/de...ge-foundation/

Long term this is good for the conservative movement. In the short term we'll have to see who replaces him. I'm pulling for state senator Tom Davis.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Sinn Fein arent running out of steam :P

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Yeah, the thing about Rubio is he looks fairly white for a hispanic so in many ways he can "pass" if he "acts white." The average hispanic person is darker in complexion and cannot and so they get treated differently. This is why notable random examples within the Republican party are often not representative of the average hispanic. Even though it is more difficult for african-americans to do this you do see people like Alan Keyes who take on the speech/thought patterns of more affluent whites in order to signal "I'm just like you" in the business community. It's this weird cultural meme where people born into a place where their race is around 10% of total population and the other 90% is something else and in a position of power over them take on the characteristics of the majority. However, often they come from affluent backgrounds themselves others within the minority who do not have those similarities/perceive themselves in the same way don't have as many opportunities to "make the jump" from one cultural meme set to another nor should they have to.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    speech/thought patterns of more affluent whites
    What are these 'thought patterns' of more affluent whites, and in what way are those thought patterns distinct from cultural/behavoral characteristics which led to affluence in the first place? Alan Keynes never seemed to me to behave any more like a typical affluent white person than Jerry Falwell, and neither is likely to fit the 'stuff white people like' profile, which (while obviously exaggerated for comedic effect) is the first thing that comes to mind when I think of 'thought patterns' and affluent whites. Or do you mean the embrace of upwardly mobile, middle-class values? And if so, why would that be a bad thing that minorities 'shouldn't have to do', or for that matter, something inherently different from hispanic culture? Basically, I'm asking what, aside from a lighter complexion (the effect of which I have to wonder about in light of the fact that most hispanics identify as white), would make Rubio come across as inauthentically hispanic?

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

^
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    INTP

^um, ok, so apparently you're saying that the lack of a pronounced 'ethnic' accent on the part of Rubio (and Keyes) is something that would come across as inauthentic to voters of their same ethnicity? It doesn't seem that different from the homogenizing effect of mass media on all regionally/culturally distinct accents (such as Southern accents, which are generally a significant handicap as far as national job opportunities are concerned, especially if said jobs involve the need to communicate with diverse groups of people across the nation). I still don't see what that has to do with the 'thought patterns' of affluent whites, though.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    Yeah, the thing about Rubio is he looks fairly white for a hispanic so in many ways he can "pass" if he "acts white." The average hispanic person is darker in complexion and cannot and so they get treated differently. This is why notable random examples within the Republican party are often not representative of the average hispanic. Even though it is more difficult for african-americans to do this you do see people like Alan Keyes who take on the speech/thought patterns of more affluent whites in order to signal "I'm just like you" in the business community. It's this weird cultural meme where people born into a place where their race is around 10% of total population and the other 90% is something else and in a position of power over them take on the characteristics of the majority. However, often they come from affluent backgrounds themselves others within the minority who do not have those similarities/perceive themselves in the same way don't have as many opportunities to "make the jump" from one cultural meme set to another nor should they have to.

I agree with @lowtech redneck

Why is it assumed that they've adopted a "white" persona rather than just being part the culture where they grew up. It's wrongly connecting certain behaviors to certain races. Sort of the same thing when people were commenting on how "articulate" Obama was.

Why wouldn't we expect affluent black to be more similar to their affluent peers than poor blacks?

I wouldn't call Rubio or Keyes inauthentic for not trying "act more like minorities".

I don't think minorities are put of by people who don't embody stereotypes about them.

I guess it's also a question of whether you expect people to represent you just because your the same race. For example, bobby jindal, Is a convert to Christianity and has a very southern accent. He may not represent the average Indian-American, but why should he. I'd he is behaving on accordance with how his experience of life, why should he have to be "more Indian".

MBTI
    INTP

Marco Rubio is not like most Hispanic Americans. He's Miami Cuban; his parents emigrated in 1956. Most Miami Cubans are upper or middle class people who fled the revolution. Culturally, he is authentically "white", and Republican to the core.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by C.J.Woolf View Post
    Marco Rubio is not like most Hispanic Americans. He's Miami Cuban; his parents emigrated in 1956. Most Miami Cubans are upper or middle class people who fled the revolution. Culturally, he is authentically "white", and Republican to the core.
    So?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    So?
    I was commenting on the "acting white" thang.