User Tag List

First 26343536373846 Last

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I read the article and here are my critiques:

If Rubio is actually punting, that's even worse. Then he's spineless.

I want ALL religion out of politics, not just conservative religion.

The fact that many people can't explain how radiometric dating works does not mean that believing the Earth is 4.5 billion years old is the same as believing the Earth is 6000 years old. This is a false equivalence, something that religious apologists almost always resort to.

I do agree that this nation has a serious science illiteracy problem. I used to be one of those people who was passive about scientific ignorance, taking the position that people can believe anything they want and it doesn't matter. Then I studied what happened to Islamic civilization. I no longer take our scientific and technological progress for granted.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    It isn't as though this debt is going to come due and suddenly people will be starving on the streets. The largest debt holder is, by far, the US Federal Reserve.
    The fact that the US is the largest holder of it's own debt doesn't really change anything here.

The show ends the instant international creditors are no longer willing to loan to us.

Which will happen if the interest payments on our debt continue to take up an ever increasing portion of our yearly budget.

MBTI
    FREE

You're missing the point. Deficits aren't the end-all. If the monies are being spent on restoring jobs, investing in technology, etc., then they will ultimately do more good for the economy than bad. Part of me imagines you waiting with google at the ready, so that you can go gather talking points from various websites, rather than craft an articulate response yourself. I'd like to know your reasons in your own words for being so opposed to short term deficit spending in the midst of a recession/jobless recovery. Further, that article isn't relevant because it assumes that going back to Clinton era rates means we must equivalently go back to Clinton era spending if we wish to achieve the prosperity of that time. We are not in the same situation as we were back in 1992. The economic situation at the end of Bush II is drastically worse than when Bush I left office (although I'm not suggesting that either man was at fault, or not).

Ultimately, we will need to reduce spending at some point, but at this juncture we need to get our economy back on track first.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    FREE

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    The show ends the instant international creditors are no longer willing to loan to us.

Which will happen if the interest payments on our debt continue to take up an ever increasing portion of our yearly budget.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

You're missing the point. Deficits aren't the end-all. If the monies are being spent on restoring jobs, investing in technology, etc., then they will ultimately do more good for the economy than bad. Part of me imagines you waiting with google at the ready, so that you can go gather talking points from various websites, rather than craft an articulate response yourself. I'd like to know your reasons in your own words for being so opposed to short term deficit spending in the midst of a recession/jobless recovery. Further, that article isn't relevant because it assumes that going back to Clinton era rates means we must equivalently go back to Clinton era spending if we wish to achieve the prosperity of that time. We are not in the same situation as we were back in 1992. The economic situation at the end of Bush II is drastically worse than when Bush I left office (although I'm not suggesting that either man was at fault, or not).

Ultimately, we will need to reduce spending at some point, but at this juncture we need to get our economy back on track first.
    In no place on this site have I ever argued that the cuts need to happen immediately.

They would need to slowly instituted over probably a decade. And I'm with you that getting the economy back to where it needs to be the primary focus.

As to the rest, I'm about to head out, but I'll get back to it when I get back.

But first, where can you show that government spending Over the last 4 years, either through stimulus, or social programs has created a economic circumstance where the private sector is comfortable substantially investing in new hires.

Sure one can create a larger federal machine, but are those added jobs within state departments and in the Fed producing a product as valuable to the economy as the taxpayer $ spent on their salaries?

Sure if there was some huge infrastructure project, that would be a different situation, but there hasn't be one.

All we've seen is an increasing portion of gov't revenue going to social programs, and the creation of new agencies which each require an entire bureaucracy.

How is all this increased funding creating a more productive economy that will increase labor participation, and move people from social programs to jobs?

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Lets talk in 20 years and see who was right.

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I want ALL religion out of politics, not just conservative religion.
    Looks like a four-eyed vienna weenie. No kiddin.

MBTI
    FREE

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    Looks like a four-eyed vienna weenie. No kiddin.

What does that mean?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A window to the soul

What does that mean?
    Lateralus has a new avatar. (: The post was a follow-up to a rep I sent him. Without the rep, the post sounds mean, I know.

MBTI
    FREE

I didn't know what it sounded like...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]