User Tag List

First 1422232425263474 Last

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

So we are talking as if these problems with the GOP are easily fixable, perhaps, and the GOP is just going to polish things over, and it will be nice.

Perhaps we are looking at deeply rooted mental differences. Perhaps these differences are so deep that they may result in different species of humans one day.

Of course, I know it's a spectrum...Not all conservatives are ignorant or racist or whatever...but have you seen this?

248991_462470557152355_1471894004_n.jpg

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    When many (most) who receive government benefits, have no substantive stake in paying for those benefits, they (and those they elect) have no incentive to ever worry about how effectively that money is spent, and more to the point, no incentive to ever vote for anything but more benefits.

I'm of the opinion, that those who receive most of the benefits should have a stake in paying for them. A stake that, while maybe smaller than those in higher tax brackets, is still large enough make them consider their actions before voting for more largesse.
    The cost for corporate welfare is twice the cost of social welfare. What you say applies effectively to this fact.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Here's another one showing the myth of Republican fiscal conservatism:

2994934040_030a9f8ffb_o.jpg

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

We could want to know why this changed.
    1976_Electoral_College_Map.jpg

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I'm not talking about a few radical extreme members, these images have been about major pervasive, widespread issues with the Republican party.

Here's another piece of the puzzle:

396358_4856468769128_600775260_n.jpg

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    First of all, most people who receive government benefits have been or will people who are not receiving them and have to pay some amount for them. It's not a permanent state of existence, so it doesn't seem accurate to divide whole people like that.

Secondly, if these people want good benefits and the ability to continue paying for them, then they presumably do have some concern about how well the money is spent.

Thirdly, my take on this is that if there's no problem with them continuing to vote for that, then there's no reason for them to stop voting that way. If there is a problem with them continuing to vote for that, then you have a case with which to persuade them not to.

I don't think people go to the voting booth looking for gifts. I don't think they calculate voting in that manner.

This stuff all sounds to me like another rehashing of the makers and takes view of society. If that continues to be the Republican perspective, then the future of the Republican part is to be discussed in history class.
    And your thoughts sound like a bag full of cats.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    And your thoughts sound like a bag full of cats.
    This response falls so short of the bar I set for it.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Since we've pulled it towards spending, more red states are in the red with spending than blue states. So it's very ironic...even amazing...that they are hot beds of Tea Party fiscal conservatism. When talk of weening people from the teat of the Federal government, and sharing the burden, and states doing their part, consider the facts. It's like the famous photo of the tea party woman hold a sign say, "keep your government hands off of my medicare".

When Romney talked about entitlements and the 47% who will vote for the president, his criteria was that they paid no income tax. It's very ironic that a big group defined by Romney included "the greatest generation", and retirees who are drawing social security...a group who...I'd think be a typically Republican demographic.

So this link illustrates how many of the reddest states are in the red.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...ng-charts-maps

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by BAJ View Post
    Here's another one showing the myth of Republican fiscal conservatism:

2994934040_030a9f8ffb_o.jpg
    That's F***ING BULLS***! California has a ratio of only 78%? Bullshit. Our government spends more than any other state (especially on welfare), also with the highest taxes, and our budget shortfall is a CONSTANT issues, and our counties are tipping on bankruptcy. Don't believe everything you see on the internet.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    That's F***ING BULLS***! California has a ratio of only 78%? Bullshit. Our government spends more than any other state (especially on welfare), also with the highest taxes, and our budget shortfall is a CONSTANT issues, and our counties are tipping on bankruptcy. Don't believe everything you see on the internet.
    This is yet another case of a Republican denying reality because it conflicts with his "gut". So sad.

That chart is referring to federal taxes and benefits, not state. California pays more to the federal government than it gets back. Maybe if California wasn't subsidizing the lifestyle of the entire south eastern US, they wouldn't have so many budget problems at the state level.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."