First 9101112132161 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    I'm not saying that some of those voices can't be damaging (especially Rush), but there's actually a legitimate point to what Rove is saying there, and there are plenty of prominent leftist idiot media figures, so I don't quite see how this would be the distinguishing problem.
    It's "a" problem, not the "distinguishing" problem.

Let's not over-analyze it, let's just take it for what it is.

You also seem to fail to see Rush's actual intent here: if he gave a crap about negative spin in a campaign, he'd stop being one of its major proponents. He's only criticizing it here because he lost the election and a lot of money from supporters. That makes him two-faced. You can be guaranteed next week that, if it's convenient to his position, he'll be indulging himself again; in fact, as I said, his comments here are an attempt in itself to ridiculously spin the loss and compare Obama to some kind of actual criminal vs just his opponent in political smear tactics.

The topic of spin itself is an interesting one, and it's hard to police the middle gray areas; the extreme spins can be agreed upon, but often what is "spin" to one party is "truth" to the other.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    They allowed the likes of Rush Limbaugh and his ilk to direct the discourse to a disproportionally stronger degree than was helpful.

"they"

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    It's "a" problem, not the "distinguishing" problem.
    Sometimes it is a problem, but, in this case, it really isn't.

He was clearly being cute with words, but he was describing a strategy that was indeed utilized, and could well be argued that worked.

Of course, as you say in your last sentence, you probably believe the bullshit that Obama was feeding you, so, to you, that spin was actually "the truth".

Let's not over-analyze it, let's just take it for what it is.
    What it is is largely partisan hackery.

"I don't like what this guy says so I'm gunna say it's the problem.

Of course, there are tons of other people from the left who are just as full of shit, if not more, but I won't complain about them."

You also seem to fail to see Rush's Rove's actual intent here...
    No, I don't actually.

And I really don't need your help to shine that light for me.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

"they"
    ??
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

??
    Who is this "they" you think controls Rush Limbaugh in such a way that your statement actually makes a valuable point?

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Who is this "they" you think controls Rush Limbaugh in such a way that your statement actually makes a valuable point?
    God, [insult removed :footballreferee:]

Obviously I mean the men in a smoky room who gather once a week to decide what direction they want Mr. Fatass to take in order to quell the glorious figurehead of the leftist revolution.

No [God it's hard to resist calling you a name], I meant the Romney campaign and everyone associated with it, especially their communications people. They could have attempted to distance themselves from the fat man (though I guess he did made Romney look like a bastion of reason by comparison anyway, but I don't think that's the message most people take away from Limbaugh's style of "support"), but instead it seemed like they met him with either (1) silent tolerance (like, "okay fatass, we get what you're doing but it's something of a double-edged sword for our campaign), or (2) tacit approval (like, "hehe, good thing he's around to tell it like it is and rile up the base! Because it would be political suicide for Romney to say half the shit he does in the way that he does, but we still want to hear it!")

Or are you so literal that you're hung up on the word "allow?" Because no, I didn't mean that someone ("they") should have told the fat puppet to shut his mouth, but they could have controlled to what degree the picture he paints of what it means to be a conservative affected Romney. That's what I meant by "branding." No one wants to buy into the image that people like Rush create. That identity is not appealing, and I'd wager that's a large factor in why Romney lost.

Obama didn't win this election. Advertising won this election.
    Last edited by garbage; 11-10-2012 at 03:46 PM.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Of course, as you say in your last sentence, you probably believe the bullshit that Obama was feeding you, so, to you, that spin was actually "the truth".
    Lame.

What it is is largely partisan hackery.

"I don't like what this guy says so I'm gunna say it's the problem.

Of course, there are tons of other people from the left who are just as full of shit, if not more, but I won't complain about them."
    Lamer.

This thread was actually about the image problem of the Republican party, and my comments should be read in that light -- letting buttheads like Limbaugh and Rove smear others without repudiation from within their own party just makes the entire party look bad. Take it for what it's worth.

No, I don't actually.

And I really don't need your help to shine that light for me.
    Well, there, now the truth comes out. I'll leave you and your butt-hurtness to your own devices.

They could have attempted to distance themselves from the fat man (though I guess he did made Romney look like a bastion of reason by comparison anyway, but I don't think that's the message most people take away from Limbaugh's style of "support"), but instead it seemed like they met him with either (1) silent tolerance (like, "okay fatass, we get what you're doing but it's something of a double-edged sword for our campaign), or (2) tacit approval (like, "hehe, good thing he's around to tell it like it is and rile up the base! Because it would be political suicide for Romney to say half the shit he does in the way that he does, but we still want to hear it!")
    Glad to see someone understood what I was getting at.

Or are you so literal that you're hung up on the word "allow?" Because no, I didn't mean that someone ("they") should have told the fat puppet to shut his mouth, but they could have controlled to what degree the picture he paints of what it means to be a conservative affected Romney. That's what I meant by "branding." No one want to buy into the image that people like Rush create. That identity is not appealing, and I'd wager that's a large factor in why Romney lost.

Obama didn't win this election. Advertising won this election.
    Yup. Obama got off to an early start while Romney was still financially and personally recovering from the brutal primary, and then the messaging -- some of it inadvertently negative by associations with the lowbrow of his own party, including Rush -- ended up damaging him further and more than his party anticipated. That kind of crap sticks to you.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

It's really hard to deny the influence of Rush Limbaugh when he is invited to speak at CPAC. I wish some Republicans had the balls to put Rush in his place.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

...but they could have controlled to what degree the picture [Rush] paints of what it means to be a conservative affected Romney.
    This is why I laughed at your comment.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Well, there, now the truth comes out. I'll leave you and your butt-hurtness to your own devices.
    If you're referring to the election, I'm actually not that sore about it.

I'm just sick of reading dumbass political opinions passed off as having significant truth to them.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

This is why I laughed at your comment.
    ??