User Tag List

First 891011122060 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    Yeah, if it's Rubio. Most I think many Hispanics view Cubans who left during the revolution as not traitors or uncle toms, but with a bit of unease especially if they spout the sort of rhetoric he does.
    You mentioned something about this before.....why would many other hispanics look down on Cubans for being political refugees?

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    What about his rhetoric exactly do you think is inherently off-putting to Latinos?
    Many of the things are cultural and hard to explain. What I was referring to are ideas that play to white republicans, but that do not with Hispanics in general. The "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" type mentality appeals to many white conservatives for example while I think most Mexicans in particular view that as a bunch of crap.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    You mentioned something about this before.....why would many other hispanics look down on Cubans for being political refugees?
    Cubans are hated by most Latinos for the same reason Argentinians are hated by most South Americans: they think they're superior to the others.

Many of the things are cultural and hard to explain.
    I'm from Southern California, lived in Spain, am fluent in Spanish, my best friend since I was four is half-Mexican, half-Cuban, his mom, who is like my second mother, used to cross the border with her family regularly, and I've spent my entire life being extremely close to both sides of his Hispanic family, my idol when I was a kid, who later became my coach and confidante, was here from Mexico with his family illegally, and my mom taught for decades at a heavily Latino school, which I attended from kindergarten through second grade -- so, I'm very familiar with the culture.

Please, entertain me.

What I was referring to are ideas that play to white republicans, but that do not with Hispanics in general. The "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" type mentality appeals to many white conservatives for example while I think most Mexicans in particular view that as a bunch of crap.
    If you were a Republican, you'd be accused of calling Mexicans lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by C.J.Woolf View Post
    That would require a case of collective amnesia over what the last Republican administration did with the economy. But then American voters are prone to that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I question whether Americans will be willing to elect another Bush in living memory of the previous one. I mean, this is after an election where exit polls showed a majority of Americans blame the current economics problems on G.W.
    God. Why is it always Bush's fault? Could the country go bankrupt in the next four years and people would still blame Bush? Oh man, no one takes responsibility for anything anymore. It's always someone else's fault.

MBTI
    xxTP

End of the day it is hard to see a route out of this. On the hand, the Tea Party do have a crazy economic agenda.

On the other hand, what is the good if the Republicans become the "democrats-lite", and buy into the same project to "modernize" society i.e. destroy the traditional fmaily unit, the western, white, christian culture which is the identity of the coutnry, and declare war on the one minority which it is still ok to hate: the white, Christian, heterosexual male. This is the project of the neo-gramscian left everywhere in the Western World.

If they do all that, but with a few less government spending and regulations, where is the reason to support them? they would become just like the British Tory Party, a cowardly cable of degenerate, effeminate millionaires. "Man cannot live on bread alone" as they say.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Argentinians are hated by most South Americans:
    I think this is an overstatement.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    God. Why is it always Bush's fault? Could the country go bankrupt in the next four years and people would still blame Bush? Oh man, no one takes responsibility for anything anymore. It's always someone else's fault.
    It's not just Bush, it's the economic policy of the Republican Party, which has not changed at all despite its spectacular failure in Bush's terms. If another Republican president or Senate is elected, they will do the same things all over again. They promised to!

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Che Parla View Post
    End of the day it is hard to see a route out of this. On the hand, the Tea Party do have a crazy economic agenda.
    At this point, I think everyone so has their own idea of what the Tea Party means, it's almost a meaningless term.

Based on my version: I don't know what's so crazy about trying to fix the long-tern fiscal problems of the country.

On the other hand, what is the good if the Republicans become the "democrats-lite", and buy into the same project to "modernize" society i.e. destroy the traditional fmaily unit, the western, white, christian culture which is the identity of the coutnry, and declare war on the one minority which it is still ok to hate: the white, Christian, heterosexual male.
    I don't think that's at all what I was prescribing.

This is the project of the neo-gramscian left everywhere in the Western World.
    I have no idea what a "neo-gramscian" is.

they would become just like the British Tory Party, a cowardly cable of degenerate, effeminate millionaires.
    Interesting you say this, because after the election, I actually made that comparison myself.

If the Republicans don't change, they will become like the Tories.

A once-powerful party with no chance of ever gaining power again.

That is, until David Cameron represented a similar sort of change.

I think this is an overstatement.
    Perhaps.

But not too much.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I think aside from all the positive stuff (cultivating new leaders, making in-roads), the Party needs to actively slam down really inane commentary such as the following instead of rewarding such people with exposure and vehicles by which to spread their ideas:

http://news.yahoo.com/karl-rove-why-...215625694.html

Conservative political strategist Karl Rove has used a provocative phrase to explain how Mitt Romney lost the presidential election Tuesday, saying President Obama won reelection “by suppressing the vote.”

Really? Few others make that assertion about the Obama victory.

And normally, the words voter suppression refer to efforts by the politically powerful to make it harder for people – especially people who might oppose the politically powerful at the polls – to cast ballots. The online reference Wikipedia defines it as tactics that "can range from minor ‘dirty tricks’ that make voting inconvenient, up to blatantly illegal activities that physically intimidate prospective voters to prevent them from casting ballots.”

Mr. Rove, a force behind big-money ad campaigns aligned with Republican candidates, appeared to redefine the term.
    Appearing on Fox News Thursday, Rove implied that Obama’s suppression strategy was to make Romney unlikeable, so that the Republican’s potential supporters wouldn’t show up to vote for him.

“He succeeded by suppressing the vote, by saying to people, 'you may not like who I am, and I know you can’t bring yourself to vote for me, but I’m going to paint this other guy as simply a rich guy who only cares about himself,' ” Rove said.
    Rove is just describing typical politics in this country... and a style that the Republican party is actually very good at it AKA spinning/controlling the dialogue -- which is what his little speech here is actually also attempting to do by redefining words in order to attach a different meaning to his opponents' actions. I remember feeling pretty put off when Rush Limbaugh was also given a lot of leeway by Republican leadership to call Fluke a whore on a national public level over the issue of birth control. I think some people eventually did criticize him for it, but Rush is still around, doing his thing.

A slapdown of people who are embarrassing to the party would seem to one way to redefine what the party is about.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

I'm not saying that some of those voices can't be damaging (especially Rush), but there's actually a legitimate point to what Rove is saying there, and there are plenty of prominent leftist idiot media figures, so I don't quite see how this would be the distinguishing problem.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Exactly @Jennifer. They allowed the likes of Rush Limbaugh and his ilk to direct the discourse. Aesthetic factors like that are very important, and it seems like the GOP is just supremely bad at branding.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness