User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by EvidenceOfRedemption View Post

Something that should be interesting to see too is how this will effect travel to neighboring states and Canada. Will you be more likely to be pulled over in Oregon and Idaho, or get your vehicle searched entering into Canada, for instance.
    This never been much of a noticable issue on the dutch borders. Schiphol airport though, different story.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by EvidenceOfRedemption View Post
    I expect there will be a large "spike" in use at first, which will decline to a high to moderate level that will last a couple years, followed by a drop below the current levels.
    I think that's what happened in the Netherlands....I even remember some official being quoted as saying, 'we have succeeded in making marijuana boring.' I think one of the best pop culture jokes about the dynamic (which probably went over the heads of most of the audience) was in the movie 'Hostel', where an American tourist looked up from his pipe, looked around, and exclaimed, 'Hey, aren't there any Dutch people in Amsterdam!?'

I hear, however, that foreign tourists are no longer allowed in 'coffee' shops'....they must have really made a nuisance out of themselves, for the Dutch authorities to risk such a lucrative tourism advantage.

Edit: @Fluffywolf I should have read the rest of the thread before posting, sorry....so it was outside pressure more than out-of-control tourists?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Edit: @Fluffywolf I should have read the rest of the thread before posting, sorry....so it was outside pressure more than out-of-control tourists?
    In fairness, the complete picture is that it became a subject of discussion because of outside pressure after which the government here ruled that the intention and use of legal marihuana is not intended for foreigners, but for dutch citizens. Thus the laws were made stricter, indirectly appeasing neighbouring countries.

But yeah, if there was no outside pressure, I doubt it would've become a topic of discussion. So that is part to blame, but you know how politics work, it's never truely is simple as it may seem.

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

According to whitehouse.gov, it’s also against federal law to prescribe marijuana for medical conditions- yet this has been going on for a while in certain states, hasn’t it? Without the suppliers of it facing legal consequences? So why would it be an issue for retailers now? (Or did they actually have problems at first?)
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Z Buck McFate View Post
    According to whitehouse.gov, it’s also against federal law to prescribe marijuana for medical conditions- yet this has been going on for a while in certain states, hasn’t it? Without the suppliers of it facing legal consequences? So why would it be an issue for retailers now? (Or did they actually have problems at first?)
    Like the feds would waste their time to catch offenders they know will be released in court anyway.

Law > Federal law.

(I made this post at the risk of sounding silly, as I am truely not all that aware of the workings of the law in the US. But from my observations, this statement seems true enough.)

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Obama hasn't been any less aggressive with medical marijuana arrests than Bush. I hope that changes in his second term, but I'm not holding my breath.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

The best we can hope for is that these two states are breaking some kind of dam.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

in california the federal government has raided and shut down a lot of medical marijuana dispensaries, even though they're legal in the state.

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    (I made this post at the risk of sounding silly, as I am truely not all that aware of the workings of the law in the US. But from my observations, this statement seems true enough.)
    Yeah, I live here and it's my impression as well- that something has to happen in colossal proportions to get federal law enforcement attention. But I can't say I've ever really paid enough attention to be entirely confident it's the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Obama hasn't been any less aggressive with medical marijuana arrests than Bush. I hope that changes in his second term, but I'm not holding my breath.

Ah, so there have been problems for suppliers of medical marijuana? I seriously never paid that much attention. I was just seriously surprised the other day to hear it'd been legalized for recreational use in two states, and have only been looking up information for the past couple days. [edit:] Ah, thanks chana.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

Senior Member EvidenceOfRedemption's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP

Well then that's going to cause the exact opposite effect that the law intended (to tax and regulate it) since the drug will be legal but only available from dealers. I hope the federal government realizes this and allows it to be sold like alcohol.