Thread: How I voted....

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post

On the issue of same sex marriage, I voted no. Here's the thing with this, I'm not too sure that same sex couples should have the exact same privileges of heterosexual couples. For example, I'm not too sure two guys/girls should be allowed to adopt a child as if it doesn't affect his/her development. So, I see at least a few kinks still to be worked out. Though, if certain caveats came with their marriage, then, let them get married. Besides, if a church/organization is willing to marry you, then you're married. You don't even half to be confirmed by anyone to be married, you can just "be married" and that's that. But, the implications in some areas are at least not well thought out.
    Are you aware that the above is pretty much the definition of Bigotry?
    Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    St. Stephen took rocks and St. Sebastian took arrows. You only have to take some jerks on an internet forum. Nut up.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7 sx/so

Obama!

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by ReadingRainbows View Post
    Are you aware that the above is pretty much the definition of Bigotry?
    I guess I was hoping the law would concern itself more with relationships that are intended for the propagation of the species. Those relationships will always be of more significance to humanity, more than those that are confirmed dead ends. I know it sounds harsh, but that's just reality. And I want the law to reflect that reality...

Not that the "dead end" relationships don't have their place...I just want to prioritize one more, as I think one is more important.

But, the truth is, whether or not the law reflects that point doesn't really change its truth value.

In other words, whether or not the law says the two types of relationships are equal, they aren't.

Hopefully, it doesn't matter. And that's the likely scenario.

idk, maybe I am bigoted for seeing an inherent difference and stratifying because of it.

But that's why when people are like "but the law affords advantages towards hetero marriages" I'm not like "That's horrible"...I'm not sure it is. At the very least, it's debatable.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    But the end of the day is the perfect time to light up a joint. Would you rather we used it in the morning?
    Don't see why you'd wait till nightfall...
    Wake n Bake is fun as well...

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I guess I was hoping the law would concern itself more with relationships that are intended for the propagation of the species. Those relationships will always be of more significance to humanity, more than those that are confirmed dead ends. I know it sounds harsh, but that's just reality. And I want the law to reflect that reality...

Not that the "dead end" relationships don't have their place...I just want to prioritize one more, as I think one is more important.
    You don't need marriage to continue the species.

And what about couples who don't want any children? Or cannot have any?

As far as the marijuana...I finally have a reason to be glad I moved to Washington!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I hope that all makes sense.
    You bet it does.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
    You don't need marriage to continue the species.
    If homosexuality insists itself upon the term marriage, then those looking for the type of relationship described as "leading to a continuing of two people's gene sequences" (if you want to get technical) will just cease to be called "marriage" (or just marriage, under the scope of the law)...because that's what I was trying to protect with the way I voted. The semantic debate is just that, who cares...the sanctity of that relationship, though, (especially within the context of the law, and thus potentially, resource allocation, and other contexts in which the law affects things) is important to me.

Like I said, though, unless it actually starts to affect things, it won't matter.

But, also I'm not too sure that it ends up affecting things.

I guess a more general question is, why even care what the law says about moral issues? Like I said, do what you want. I don't know why people ask us for our opinion on an issue that is inherently moral and then criticize us for having an opinion that isn't steeped in fact. Since when is any morality steeped in fact? Stop asking questions that can't be answered in terms of "objectionable fact" or stop getting pissed off when we answer the questions in terms our personal moralities. How else are we supposed to answer the questions?

Religion? Societal ethical/moral considerations? Tradition? Current contexts? Future potential contexts? Science? Logical analysis? Game theory? Computer simulation?

Personally, I don't think being homosexual is "right" simply because the ends in my life require a woman (kids, sex with a girl on the regular, a certain mindset etc). I do think my ends are right, otherwise they wouldn't be my ends...

That doesn't mean you're not free to have your wrong ends...

But just because I think my ends are right, that doesn't mean that they are in fact right...I'll just act as if they are.

How can I not? My actions are a direct response to what I think. Sometimes the relationship is so fast I don't even perceive thinking...like, fight or flight responses.

If you have a problem with it, stop me then.

If you don't, don't.

In the meantime, it's open season.

No rules apply except general common sense.

And if I don't have enough common sense to keep myself out of trouble until my ends are met, then I didn't deserve them in the first place.

If I'm willing to die for my actions, then I'm free to live for them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    I think this is a bit dramatic and you could just as easily argue this about any politician. Politicians lie and make use of powerful speeches to get ahead. This is nothing new. I voted for the candidate whose ideals/goals/stances made the most sense to me.
    Stock market Tanked with Obama re-elected, showing people fear Obama will keep making bad business/economic decisions
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-1...ma-bounce.html

Inflation is up - printing money only works for so long. I don't believe the numbers from the government.
    *Oops, I posted the wrong link and all the government articles and calculators create some aggregate crap that may not represent how prices are changing. But the cost of gas and energy rising is having a huge negative overall effect, regardless.

And our debt to GPD ratio is higher than 101.5%, meaning no matter how you redistribute wealth, we will all suffer a lower quality of life and it will only get worse if the debt isn't dealt with.
    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/total-...soars-1015-gdp

This election was a chance to put the economy back on track, instead of giving excuses that no one can fix it because it's that bad. I'm still shocked that the majority of the country either is unaware of the important issues or believes that it pales in comparison to "the government supplying birth control rather than the private sector", "gay marriage", "Socialized health care when we have a doctor shortage (expect month long waits for care) and our financial situation keeps getting worse (how will we afford it?)" and "having a President that makes them feel warm and fuzzy". It's sad to see people care about electing a President for small issues rather than a President that will take the economic issues more seriously.

And Raptor might be sensationalizing a bit, given just the facts, but the situation is not good and if Obama doesn't take it seriously and do something, his picture of Obama will become a real legitimized nightmare.
    Last edited by Little_Sticks; 11-08-2012 at 03:48 PM. Reason: typo

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    @xisnotx why does your libertarian "do as you will" approach not apply to Sam-sex couples or drug users?
    If you ask me if it's a good idea to smoke weed, I'd say no. But, hopefully you have enough sense to not rely on me to make your decisions for you.
    Same argument with homosexuality.

One is enabling, and I'm not going to lead you to a decision you should make for yourself.
    The other is just common sense. If you want to do something, do it. Just be prepared to live with the consequences, up to and including death.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

If you ask me if it's a good idea to smoke weed, I'd say no. But, hopefully you have enough sense to not rely on me to make your decisions for you.
    Same argument with homosexuality.

One is enabling, and I'm not going to lead you to a decision you should make for yourself.
    The other is just common sense. If you want to do something, do it. Just be prepared to live with the consequences, up to and including death.

But if you vote to make things illegal you aren't giving people the opportunity to make decisions for themselves. You are mandating that they do what you think is right.

I'm confused about what you are referring to as enabling and what as common sense.