First 3456 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    A Hispanic Catholic is a very different creature from an Anglo-Saxon Protestant. Everything outside of abortion and gay marriage is basically a clash of values. So that would have to be overcome only after Republicans drop the hostile anti-immigration stuff.
    So, let´s list those big differences?
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    xxTP

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    The real North Americans -- i.e. Native Americans, i.e. Indians -- have been minorities in their own country for a long time. (Thought someone should bring that up at some point in this thread, if they haven't already.) If you're white, American, and think you're more American than any other US citizen, then you're either delusional or you don't know your history.
    The US has had a stable English-speaking culture and been independent for 3 centuries now. That culture that developed as 'North American' has a right to be protected just like Mexican culture does. They shouldn't allow themselves to become a minority in their own country IMO

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    They're not favoring Mormonism as a religion, they're favoring the social and political culture surrounding it. Perhaps an anecdote from my childhood might illustrate; I was a middle-scooler living in Huntsville Alabama one year, and my family attended a Southern Baptist church. While in Sunday School (I guess they call it 'bible study' for children that age) one day, the youth pastors spent an hour explaining how Mormonism was a sham religion created (literally) as a result of demonic influence in order to trick good people into damning themselves (salvation through faith alone, ya know). The thing is, these same youth pastors specifically and repeatedly emphasized throughout the session that followers of Mormonism were 'morally beautiful people', who it was perfectly okay to befriend (but not date, as that implies later marriage and children who might be raised Mormon), whether they were amenable to conversion or not (though we were also encouraged to attempt the former).

Evangelicals are, generally speaking, not going to simply reject a Mormon candidate who appears to reflect their earthly moral values in favor of a candidate that they believe opposes them, even if that second candidate's religious faith is (for salvation purposes) much closer to their own.
    ^^ That's been my experience as well.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

I actually thought whites were minority until fairly recently.

MBTI
    xxTP

They're not favoring Mormonism as a religion, they're favoring the social and political culture surrounding it. Perhaps an anecdote from my childhood might illustrate; I was a middle-scooler living in Huntsville Alabama one year, and my family attended a Southern Baptist church. While in Sunday School (I guess they call it 'bible study' for children that age) one day, the youth pastors spent an hour explaining how Mormonism was a sham religion created (literally) as a result of demonic influence in order to trick good people into damning themselves (salvation through faith alone, ya know). The thing is, these same youth pastors specifically and repeatedly emphasized throughout the session that followers of Mormonism were 'morally beautiful people', who it was perfectly okay to befriend (but not date, as that implies later marriage and children who might be raised Mormon), whether they were amenable to conversion or not (though we were also encouraged to attempt the former).

Evangelicals are, generally speaking, not going to simply reject a Mormon candidate who appears to reflect their earthly moral values in favor of a candidate that they believe opposes them, even if that second candidate's religious faith is (for salvation purposes) much closer to their own.

As for the 'American Taliban', that's a term used by many people (mostly within the American left) who equate the religious right in America with Islamists (they often even claim to favor the latter over the former). A few people on this very thread* have done much the same thing, and an acceptance of such characterizations might lead someone to not understand why American evangelicals would favor a Mormon who they believe shares their earthly values and beliefs over a Catholic who they believe does not.

*Edit: I apologize, I was thinking that I was replying within the 'who would non-Americans vote for' thread.
    I get the "love the sinner, hate the sin" logic, but it still seems strange to vote for as President of the nation - we are not talking about befriending here - someone who is an advocate of a what one believes is a demonic cult. surely this can only help said demonic cult to gain acceptance.

Regardless, the way it was reported around the world is that Romney was loathed by may Republicans throughout the campaign not just for Mormonism but also for his elitist demeanor, and now they are simply voting for him because he is "not Obama".

Which is not to say it's wrong to vote for a "lesser evil", but it would seem that Romney is far from accepted by his own "base", and possibly as unpopular among them even now, as Bush was by the end of his mandate, which is pretty worrying for him should he come to power.

Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Che Parla View Post
    The US has had a stable English-speaking culture and been independent for 3 centuries now. That culture that developed as 'North American' has a right to be protected just like Mexican culture does. They shouldn't allow themselves to become a minority in their own country IMO
    Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Che Parla View Post
    My view is that Hispanic is a meaningless term. I was born in South America and I am 6ft1 with blond hair blue eyes, not exactly the same race as a Bolivian Indian.

Still though, I think it's a shame because mexicans already have their own country, it isn't democratic for the North Americans to become a minority in their own country as well. They need to start breeding and policing their borders. Maybe also offer money to some immigrants to return to their country?

Please nobody think I'm being racist as you can see I grew up in the Uk from a foreign background. But I just think it's sad to lose the variety of different countries! we already have mexic and Pakistan, so their people need to develop those countries, not o make colonies out of the UK and Europe...
    You speak as though USA is and has always had a unified "culture". This is a nation of immigrants. Started with British and Northern European immigrants (and forced African immigrants, i.e. slaves), then Mediterranean and Eastern European and some Asian, and more recently have been immigrants from India, Middle East, Latin American, other Asian and many African countries. As each group of immigrants arrives, they take on some characteristics of USA culture, and USA takes on characteristics of those cultures. The country changes and it changes people. And the changes are not always pleasant as they occur.

Having a different skin color does make it more complicated. "Whites" in USA have many similarities, because of skin color, and because most white families have been here at least a couple generations. I guess it is easier to assimilate when you look more or less similar to other white people.

But it is not as simple as "North American" = white = single, stable culture.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Hispanics are the largest minority in America, they will become larger in the future, they are not even remotely as politically monolithic as black Americans (the second largest minority), and Asians are far less numerous and much more culturally diverse; hispanics are therefore the most salient minority group to discuss regarding the changing politics of a more diverse America, especially regarding the future of the Republican party. I don't see what you seem to find objectionable about it.
    The number of Asian-americans is increasing more rapidly than African-americans so that may not be true in the future.

I know you do not understand... this is why the republican party won't get votes from Hispanics imo

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    You speak as though USA is and has always had a unified "culture". This is a nation of immigrants. Started with British and Northern European immigrants (and forced African immigrants, i.e. slaves), then Mediterranean and Eastern European and some Asian, and more recently have been immigrants from India, Middle East, Latin American, other Asian and many African countries. As each group of immigrants arrives, they take on some characteristics of USA culture, and USA takes on characteristics of those cultures. The country changes and it changes people. And the changes are not always pleasant as they occur.

Having a different skin color does make it more complicated. "Whites" in USA have many similarities, because of skin color, and because most white families have been here at least a couple generations. I guess it is easier to assimilate when you look more or less similar to other white people.

But it is not as simple as "North American" = white = single, stable culture.
    Don't forget the regional cultures of America. I think the east coast, west coast, midwest, and the south are different universes.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

F CK all I need is U ilikeitlikethat's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so

So?

I'm white, I'm British, and; I'm a minority.

In fact, I even made a thread about it, here:
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ad.php?t=58386

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    I know you do not understand... this is why the republican party won't get votes from Hispanics imo
    So enlighten me.

There is less room for educated guesses regarding the composition of the Asian electorate in the distant future, and the religious diversity of Asian immigrants makes predicting future inter-marriage patterns more difficult as well. In the meantime, Asian immigrants are highly unlikely to overtake the black population in the short-to-medium term, and even if they did their relatively recent arrival as a large population 'group' (outside of Hawaii and parts of the west coast) combined with their cultural diversity would make future voting habits much more difficult to speculate about.

If you wish to branch out the conversation to include other minority groups, then put forth some of your own ideas on the matter.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

So enlighten me.

There is less room for educated guesses regarding the composition of the Asian electorate in the distant future, and the religious diversity of Asian immigrants makes predicting future inter-marriage patterns more difficult as well. In the meantime, Asian immigrants are highly unlikely to overtake the black population in the short-to-medium term, and even if they did their relatively recent arrival as a large population 'group' (outside of Hawaii and parts of the west coast) combined with their cultural diversity would make future voting habits much more difficult to speculate about.

If you wish to branch out the conversation to include other minority groups, then put forth some of your own ideas on the matter.
    When I created this thread I had in mind a more far ranging discussion than "How do Hispanics affect the Republican party?" By making this only about how how it affects YOU (ie groups that you identify with whites/republicans) the implication is "oh those other minorities don't matter so why should I give a damn?" I am not trying to put words in your mouth. I know you don't literally THINK this, but in my experience it has often been indicative of in-group out-group bias. As us/them thinking persists then it is very very difficult to find solutions, ways of thinking/being, and common goals that allow us to move forward as a human race. That is why I started this thread. In other words as long as Hispanics and other minorities are "something out there that I must defend against or change in order to preserve my own way of being/culture" rather than PEOPLE (that you care about on their own terms!) they will not vote for the republican party. Would you want to support someone who treated you that way?
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.