User Tag List

First 1234 Last

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    True, but Romney is a Mormon. A mormon! I can't imagine anglo-saxon protestants being more in favour of mormonism than catholicism. The doctrinal differences between Catholicism and protestantism are negligible compared to those between protestantism and mormonism. If religion is a key voting consideration for the average republican I'd think electing a catholic would be an easy sell after putting a mormon on the ticket.
    Their general values and outlook on life are really more similar.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

True, but Romney is a Mormon. A mormon! I can't imagine anglo-saxon protestants being more in favour of mormonism than catholicism. The doctrinal differences between Catholicism and protestantism are negligible compared to those between protestantism and mormonism. If religion is a key voting consideration for the average republican I'd think electing a catholic would be an easy sell after putting a mormon on the ticket.
    I think it's possible a lot of American Protestants don't really know enough about our own doctrine, let alone LDS doctrine, for it to be a big deal. Mormons are predominantly white and fiscally and morally conservative -- they are not 'other' on the outside. As long as Billy Graham (or the corpse of Billy Graham) and FOX are telling us Mormons are okay now, most of us are going to do as we're told.

Hispanics are brown. They are more likely to be poor. Some of them don't speak English. They look like 'other.' That makes them scary.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

WALMART

I can't wait for a global race of brown folk.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Their general values and outlook on life are really more similar.
    I'll have to take your word on that, because mormonism has only a tiny presence in Australia. So I only know their doctrines rather than their values or outlook on life. It must be a case of the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I think it's possible a lot of American Protestants don't really know enough about our own doctrine, let alone LDS doctrine, for it to be a big deal. Mormons are predominantly white and fiscally and morally conservative -- they are not 'other' on the outside. As long as Billy Graham (or the corpse of Billy Graham) and FOX are telling us Mormons are okay now, most of us are going to do as we're told.

Hispanics are brown. They are more likely to be poor. Some of them don't speak English. They look like 'other.' That makes them scary.
    Billy Graham is saying they're ok? Really? That astounds me.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    No, it's going to take more than just a change on illegal immigration to get Hispanics to support Republicans on a large scale.
    Right now, if done properly, I think it would be enough to move Hispanics near GWB numbers, which is more than enough for a stable winning coalition favoring Republicans. In 2050, I expect that, one way or another, the political attitudes of a a hispanic/anglo melting pot will merge, tending toward whichever ideological predisposition is locally and/or religiously prevalent, so contemporary cultural divides on, say, Health Care, won't be an issue.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    No, it's going to take more than just a change on illegal immigration to get Hispanics to support Republicans on a large scale.
    Right now*, if done properly, I think it would be enough to move Hispanics near GWB numbers (basically a mirror reflection of the current white vote), which is more than enough for a stable winning coalition favoring Republicans. In 2050, I expect that, one way or another, the political attitudes of a hispanic/anglo melting pot will merge, tending toward whichever ideological predisposition is locally and/or religiously prevalent, so contemporary cultural divides on, say, Health Care, won't be an issue.

*By which I mean 2013-2016, of course.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Billy Graham is saying they're ok? Really? That astounds me.
    I believe that's the latest official word. I think poor old Billy is probably only with us in body at this point and his son, Franklin, is the one saying this stuff, but I don't really have any proof besides the fact that it was completely out of character.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Right now*, if done properly, I think it would be enough to move Hispanics near GWB numbers (basically a mirror reflection of the current white vote), which is more than enough for a stable winning coalition favoring Republicans. In 2050, I expect that, one way or another, the political attitudes of a hispanic/anglo melting pot will merge, tending toward whichever ideological predisposition is locally and/or religiously prevalent, so contemporary cultural divides on, say, Health Care, won't be an issue.

*By which I mean 2013-2016, of course.
    If you want to go with an analogy like a melting pot or mixing something else, like paint, it still could be a problem for Republicans. Maybe it could be diluted a bit, but I think it's fair to say that a growing Hispanic population, particularly the growth that comes from immigration, will alter the political composition. Adding a tube of red paint to a bucket of blue paint isn't going to make the whole bucket red, but it's not going to leave it blue, either. It's going to mix into something a little purple.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I believe that's the latest official word. I think poor old Billy is probably only with us in body at this point and his son, Franklin, is the one saying this stuff, but I don't really have any proof besides the fact that it was completely out of character.
    Well there's a long history of splinter Christian groups becoming mainstream. Anabaptists for instance were drowned by fellow Christians because they believed in adult baptism, which is now quite a common practice. That's a far cry from the doctrinal differences with mormonism though. I can only imagine that Billy has lost his marbles and Franklin is on the take, whether it be for money or popularity or political influence. Or maybe they think that opposing abortion and gay rights by supporting someone of a completely different religion is the lesser of two evils.

Are they actually saying mormonism is ok, or are they just supporting Romney without reference to his religion?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    If you want to go with an analogy like a melting pot or mixing something else, like paint, it still could be a problem for Republicans. Maybe it could be diluted a bit, but I think it's fair to say that a growing Hispanic population, particularly the growth that comes from immigration, will alter the political composition. Adding a tube of red paint to a bucket of blue paint isn't going to make the whole bucket red, but it's not going to leave it blue, either. It's going to mix into something a little purple.
    The political composition is always altered over time, as different ethnic/cultural groups change and merge together; I don't think it will be a problem for Republicans in 2050 (in light of the marriage gap it may even be a reverse problem for the Democrats sometime around 2030, as Hispanics may be more likely to inter-marry with Republicans/conservatives in general, not just regionally).