User Tag List

123 Last

WALMART

Default Twenty-Two Days and Counting: Mitt Romney's Media Blackout

http://www.politicususa.com/22-days-...iticus+USA+%29

Is this normal for presidential candidates? This is my first election as a 'mature' adult, and this seems odd.

Any input/correlating experience welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    http://www.politicususa.com/22-days-...iticus+USA+%29

Is this normal for presidential candidates? This is my first election as a 'mature' adult, and this seems odd.

Any input/correlating experience welcome.
    This is not normal. The reasons:

1. Mitt Romney lies. A lot. He's kind of clever in that he's discovered the media won't call out candidates on lies and has decided to roll the dice on this matter with great success.

2. Mitt Romney knows that if he were to articulate his positions (not convictions, as he seemingly has none), he would lose a lot of the Romney voters who currently do not realize that he has contempt for them and little regard for their intelligence. He's managed to pull even in the polls, and his best move is to be quiet and wait for election day.

I regret that this is necessary, but just for the record, I'm a centrist who has voted in the past for George H.W. Bush, Bob Dole, and George W. Bush (the first time). But there's no fucking way I'm voting for this guy.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post

1. Mitt Romney lies. A lot. He's kind of clever in that he's discovered the media won't call out candidates on lies and has decided to roll the dice on this matter with great success.

2. Mitt Romney knows that if he were to articulate his positions (not convictions, as he seemingly has none), he would lose a lot of the Romney voters who currently do not realize that he has contempt for them and little regard for their intelligence. He's managed to pull even in the polls, and his best move is to be quiet and wait for election day.

I regret that this is necessary, but just for the record, I'm a centrist who has voted in the past for George H.W. Bush, Bob Dole, and George W. Bush (the first time). But there's no fucking way I'm voting for this guy.

That was my figuring, he finds it best to stay quiet. Every time he opens his mouth at this point he likely alienates various demographics, or some ulterior motive along the lines of.

It is unfortunate indeed. Oh well. Thank you for a worthy first post.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

You have pretty much the same view and voting record on this (though I was too young to vote for Bush I in 1992) as I do. There has never been a presidential candidate I have despised as much as I despise Romney. Even when McCain chose Palin, I didn't despise him, I just laughed at the stupidity. Romney is evil by my definition of evil.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Interestingly, I was a Republican growing up and voted Republican until 2000 -- basically because of the hard long swing to the extreme right. Bush's appointment was offensive, it was the first time where I really saw the "grooming" process in effect in the national political system and how a candidate with few ideas of his own could be positioned and manipulated into office; I guess I was just too young / not interested enough to care before then.

I don't necessarily see Romney as evil, although I can see why you do. I just see him as being a horrible, horrible presidential candidate who seems very inept and vague on everything -- he's kind of the tissue-paper/invisible man candidate, he has no real plan for anything as far as I can tell. It doesn't surprise me that with his October advances in the polls, his handlers likely just told him to STFU and won't let him do anything to mess up what chance he has; I can only imagine his standing would suffer, the more he talks at this point, because it becomes clear that there is no substance to his claims and ideas.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Your post echoes my own thoughts. I started out voting republican at a young age, but due to the extreme nature of the party, I moved to the center. As a matter of fact, my brother called me a centrist this morning when we were talking about Romney, G.W, and Schwarzenegger. (Romney left office with an approximate 34% approval rating, G.W. Bush 28%, and Arnold 26%. Not exactly a glowing testimonial for those cowboys.) Like yourself, I voted for George H.W. Bush, Bob Dole, and G. W. Bush. The vote I am most disgusted with was G.W. I'd like a refund on my vote. The repubbie train was careening wildly out of control as the years pushed on with G.W. at the helm. When I look at the body of the party today, I see flesh hanging off the bone from years of malnourished thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Your post echoes my own thoughts. I started out voting republican at a young age, but due to the extreme nature of the party, I moved to the center.
    I did too. I was even a member of my college's Young Republicans. I guess you could have called me a Goldwater Republican. But that guy would practically be a Democrat today. You say you "moved to the center". I prefer to say that I haven't moved away from the right. They moved away from me.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

your resident asshole

It reminds me of whenever people get in trouble with the law and always say "no comment."

But seriously though, for a man who wants to become president, this is a terrible attitude. I understand why he is doing it, but I don't understand how people can stand by, think this is okay, and still vote for Romney.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

If he's made himself inaccessible now, that certainly says a lot about what he might consider doing during his presidency.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Interestingly, I was a Republican growing up and voted Republican until 2000 -- basically because of the hard long swing to the extreme right. Bush's appointment was offensive, it was the first time where I really saw the "grooming" process in effect in the national political system and how a candidate with few ideas of his own could be positioned and manipulated into office; I guess I was just too young / not interested enough to care before then.

I don't necessarily see Romney as evil, although I can see why you do. I just see him as being a horrible, horrible presidential candidate who seems very inept and vague on everything -- he's kind of the tissue-paper/invisible man candidate, he has no real plan for anything as far as I can tell. It doesn't surprise me that with his October advances in the polls, his handlers likely just told him to STFU and won't let him do anything to mess up what chance he has; I can only imagine his standing would suffer, the more he talks at this point, because it becomes clear that there is no substance to his claims and ideas.
    I'm pretty sure I have a broader definition of evil than most people. Most people see evil as something you have to actively pursue, but I see recklessness and a lack of concern for collateral damage from your actions as traits that are evil as well.

If he's made himself inaccessible now, that certainly says a lot about what he might consider doing during his presidency.
    Romney sees himself as better than everyone else, as someone who deserves to rule with no accountability. He would love to be a feudal lord. He could be worse than Nixon in this respect.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."