First 7891011 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    Worst than crazy, it's bad hermeneutics.
    Lol. That too.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    You don't know that he has shallow emotions or a lack of empathy.

And applying a list like that to someone you don't know isn't close to a credible diagnosis.

Frankly, a good number of those traits could probably be applied to Obama, who some have labeled a narcissist using the same methodology.
    It wouldn't surprise me to learn that Obama is a narcissist.

Having spent a fair amount of time around sociopaths, I've become pretty good at picking them out. My father is one.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I guess if we don't want Jesus to return AKA the nasty events in the Book of Revelation to occur, the easy answer is to not let the Israelis have their own country?

Sigh. So crazy.
    You should read up on the Red Heifer. I'm amazed that, in the 21st century, people who have been raised in modern civilizations still believe in animal sacrifice.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    You should read up on the Red Heifer. I'm amazed that, in the 21st century, people who have been raised in modern civilizations still believe in animal sacrifice.
    Haven't you ever seen Rome?

Sacrificing a cow like that must give you a psychological edge.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    My parents belong to this group.
    Update on this after our last brief exchange:

My mom just made her weekly call, we started briefly discussing voting for President, and she comes out with, "This country needs to return to the Lord. We were founded on Christian values." And then she mentions how this country has become like Sodom and Gamorrah.

Mind you, my mother is very soft-spoken, non-aggressive, and typically avoids controversy. So it's actually kind of positive she would say something like this around me, in the sense she must trust me... or at least feels my soul is in jeopardy. Many thoughts ran through my head (such as pointing out some of the founding fathers were at best deists and perhaps even some were agnostic/atheists by the current standards at the time), but I already knew it would be a waste of my time, so I just said that voting for a President wouldn't fix the country, the individuals in the country needed to each change their attitudes, and then she just said, "I'm just praying the Lord has win whoever is supposed to win."

But it's pretty funny. I'm sure she is voting for Romney, and I know it's because Obama supports gay-marriage and isn't part of the evangelical pro-life movement. Those two issues are far bigger sins to her than anything Romney has done with his money (or to get his money).

It's a wonder our country can move forward, with such a disagreement on basic premises of what is good and bad.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Actually @Lateralus I did know that concerning Israel, but that is only one perspective. I was with the Southern Baptists, and my sister's father in law is a Southern Baptist minister. I was in that group too, but then I went away to graduate school and met people who actually lived in Lebanon. They experienced Israeli shelling first hand. It woke me up to the idea that what I had been fed was not true.

Yet, I just spoke to my parents, and shockingly they...anti-immigration, Fox news watching, "PTSD soldiers are yellow pussies"...etc...parents are voting for Obama. After all the arguments we've had, my father wanted to tell me...shockingly...that he'd come across because "Romney scares us", they said.

I never would have believed that!

Quote Originally Posted by BAJ View Post
    Actually @Lateralus I did know that concerning Israel, but that is only one perspective. I was with the Southern Baptists, and my sister's father in law is a Southern Baptist minister. I was in that group too, but then I went away to graduate school and met people who actually lived in Lebanon. They experienced Israeli shelling first hand. It woke me up to the idea that what I had been fed was not true.
    I come from a sb background, too.

Yeah, meeting Palestinian Christians who had been bombed by the Israelis when I was 18 had a strong impact on me, although I was already rethinking much of my theology by that point.

Yet, I just spoke to my parents, and shockingly they...anti-immigration, Fox news watching, "PTSD soldiers are yellow pussies"
    Wtf???
    How does somebody who supposedly supports the troops say that???
    Have they just never been around any vets of foreign wars?
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Wtf???
    I dunno.

It seems pretty obvious that PTSD is very real; all you need to do is watch one of the excellent war movies out there to get a sense of why.

Or imagine what it would be like to NEED to be hypersensitive to any noise, person, or subtle change in your environment to avoid being maimed or killed within the space of a moment or two; and then having to come back to a culture full of noise, motion, and other similar cues and having to constantly fight to keep from freaking out.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Wtf???

I totally agree with you. Actually, I paraphrased him, but he literally believes exactly like General Patton. I'm not kidding. And it's my father, not my Mom. My father loves the Patton movie, including where Patton slaps the soldier.

Also, let me be clear, I've had numerous hospitalizations for depression. I believe PTSD is real. Also, I believe soldiers need better help to enter civilian life and transfer their skills to the civilian work force. We have too many homeless vets.

What I'm saying is that my father supports the new immigration law (in Alabama), he's basically racist, hates Mexicans, is religious, and I've had so many arguments with them. He believes the entitlement classes are ruining America.

If he can change, then there may be hope for the world.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by BAJ View Post
    I totally agree with you. Actually, I paraphrased him, but he literally believes exactly like General Patton. I'm not kidding. And it's my father, not my Mom. My father loves the Patton movie, including where Patton slaps the soldier.

Also, let me be clear, I've had numerous hospitalizations for depression. I believe PTSD is real. Also, I believe soldiers need better help to enter civilian life and transfer their skills to the civilian work force. We have too many homeless vets.

What I'm saying is that my father supports the new immigration law (in Alabama), he's basically racist, hates Mexicans, is religious, and I've had so many arguments with them. He believes the entitlement classes are ruining America.

If he can change, then there may be hope for the world.
    People like him don't even need to change. Republicans are dying off at a greater rate than they are breeding. The writing is on the wall for the Republican party. Unless it turns around and becomes less extreme (not going to happen), it will be irrelevant, nationally, in around 20 years.