User Tag List

View Poll Results: Non-Americans, who would you vote for?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Romney

1 3.23%
  • Obama

30 96.77%
First 7891011 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I have no doubt our devout Christians would insinuate or just explicitly declare that those men are charlatans and not people of real faith. For the devout religion is all encompassing, and religion is the most important thing to live up to, and a person who picks and chooses when to push religious values must be someone who doesn't believe religion is all encompassing, meaning he or she has failed to do the most important thing by living up to the religion.
    That and there are numerous instances in the bible where God smote the entire nation on account of a naughty king. Which means that if the leaders are disobedient to God then even the devout are punished for it.

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

Quote Originally Posted by ilikeitlikethat View Post
    Mitt Romney's a joke.

He came to London during the 2012 Olympic games, annouced that the UK is small and builds small cars that no one wants to buy then fucked off to Poland for a week...
    Well, technically he did not say that but rather wrote that a few years ago in his book; No Apology: The Case for American Greatness. In which he wrote the following

''England [sic] is just a small island. Its roads and houses are small. With few exceptions, it doesn't make things that people in the rest of the world want to buy. And if it hadn't been separated from the continent by water, it almost certainly would have been lost to Hitler's ambitions. Yet only two lifetimes ago, Britain ruled the largest and wealthiest empire in the history of humankind. Britain controlled a quarter of the earth's land and a quarter of the earth's population.''

For what it is worth, Romney is not anti-British but rather a bit politically unsophisticated. The same can not be said for for Obama as he really does have some kind of complex with Britain. Seriously, Obama's Presidency is littered with insults towards Britain; from days after taking office when he sent the bust of Winston Churchill back, siding with Argentina over the Falkland Islands, his laughable DVD gift to Gordon Brown, and Obama administration’s relentless campaign against BP after the Deepwater Horizon oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    I'm surprised that something like this hasn't been posted yet:

Romney, Pakistan supports you. Not, like, all the way, but maybe about 60%-ish out of those who actually care?
    I'm kinda surprised at the results in Malaysia, but then I'm probably more socially liberal than most over here. More amusing is that 60% doesn't care at all to answer... unless they support Johnson or Stein
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Romney, Pakistan supports you. Not, like, all the way, but maybe about 60%-ish out of those who actually care?
    Where's Speed? I imagine he might be one of those Francais who would support Romney over Obama.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Speaking of uninformed electorates, I found this exchange from the 538 blog. Not saying that many voters are like this, but you have to wonder...

538.jpg
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

So..... do the ones near the bottom vote third party a lot?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Canadian who recently lived in America here too, chiming in.

Mitt Romney represents nearly every negative trait and/or stereotype that America gets a bad rap for in the world. I won't list them, he just fits the bill so trust me on that. It's no wonder that the world's preference is President Obama.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    I find America's politics to be pretty alien, because it's so right leaning and concerned about issues that have been dead and buried here for 40 years. NZ is a left-leaning nation and our governing centre-right party is probably closer to the Democrats (and I'm way more of a lefty than that).
    Agreed. I see Canada similarly. Our right here looks practically centre-left in comparison.

I have nothing against moderate Republicans, but man, the extreme fraction is really bringing the US down IMO. Moderates I can disagree with, but the hardcore conservatives are just insane. How can there be any meaningful discourse or progress made with such people.
    Agreed. I think this polarity hurts the US so much. It's endemic to a 2 party system.

-----

An American friend of mine tells me how frustrated she is at how little is in the news and newspapers about world events - she says even the NYTimes is terrible in this regard. As someone who has lived overseas on and off for years, she's really uncomfortable about how cut off she is from the rest of the world.
    +

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    ...when I switched on cable news in the evening, or tuned into local radio in the morning, it was baffling. Where is the fucking news? why dont they tell me THE NEWS?! what is this shit about a pig fair?? I was dumb-founded by the ignorance of the average man on the street. That and the racial segregation. Just a very different, very backward world. I encountered more enlightened thinking in a Ugandan village than in Kansas.
    This shocked me too when we lived in the US. I turned on the local news shortly after our relocation and the top news stories were a man cutting his lawn in the snow and a boy who got his tongue stuck on a pole. No joke. You just hear nothing about the rest of the world, heck, you don't even really hear what's happening locally. It's like bubble gum instead of steak.

-----

At any rate, I would vote for Obama.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    This shocked me too when we lived in the US. I turned on the local news shortly after our relocation and the top news stories were a man cutting his lawn in the snow and a boy who got his tongue stuck on a pole. No joke. You just hear nothing about the rest of the world, heck, you don't even really hear what's happening locally. It's like bubble gum instead of steak.
    Corporate media, ratings (money) are all that matters.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    The global recession hasn't yet reached your shores ?

Yes, this affects me, but America can't be entirely blamed for that, anyway.

I didn't mean things like that, I mean more of the day to day decision-making and issues: gay marriage, health care and gun control etc. I meant that while I have strong opinions on these matters, what America does with regards to them isn't going to have a huge influence on my country and my life.

"Actively discouraged" makes it sound like a conspiracy. "Not actively encouraged" might be a better description, perhaps... I dunno. This seems to be an organic process, an oversight, rather than something more sinister, like say, Chinese State censorship. But perhaps that's what we're supposed to think? I mean how does one create a sense of unity betwen 51 disparate states other than by emphasising separateness from the rest of the world? The Republican Party rhetoric of recent years has certainly played on the idea that America is besieged by enemies and used that to compromise liberties at home and abroad.
    Maybe it was overstating it, but I would say that claiming, "America is the greatest country in the world" and other such thinking, is an active discouragement of openness to foreign ideas and approaches to things (when it is coupled with America's other xenophobia issues - this statement seems to be less about patriotism and more about, "we're better than everyone else", or even, "thank god I don't live in your stupid country").

But then, I haven't really travelled or lived in the US and am only receiving second and third hand information - so I don't wish to push that point too hard

I think that's already happened. Travelling to the US, especially Hicksville, but even the likes of New York, is like travelling back in time.
    Even New York? I hear plenty about the problems of Middle America and how backward it is from my coastal American friends, but as not much about backwardness on the coasts.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Corporate media, ratings (money) are all that matters.
    As it happens, Henry Milner's research on civic literacy found that one of the things is most strongly correlated with was the role of public broadcasting.
    Go to sleep, iguana.