User Tag List

View Poll Results: Non-Americans, who would you vote for?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Romney

1 3.23%
  • Obama

30 96.77%
First 56789 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    If you had to choose, would you vote for Romney or Obama? No reason required, but feel free to expound.
    When you look too close, you do not see clearly.
    A minimum distance is required. It is called optics.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Well, most of the things Romney says strike me as bat.shit crazy, or fake, or idiotic. So, that´s an easy choice. It´s still hard for me to understand why the republican party always chooses these stereotypical semi-mormon ex-dumb-jocks as candidates.

(I would generally consider myself as libertarian, btw)
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    *shrug* I'm not a flower person anyway. Pax Americana has been good for me. I'd probably have moral qualms about sending Americans off to die for my peace so I'm quite happy not having a choice in the matter.

I don't think others should vote in American elections either. Influence is not the reason why, for me, tyranny of majority is. Americans vote for American interests.
    American interest is not global interest. Global interest is American interest.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    whoa, 17x0.

*inb4 party pooper*
    No rush.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    A bit of truth, perhaps. It's highly inflated in our political discourse. I myself would prefer the British model over the USA's current health system but consider it my least favorite approach to NHS. I think much of the criticism leveled at NHS has virtually no basis at all if we talk about a system more like Japan and Germany's, or Canada's and Taiwan's.

EDIT: I should clarify, since it probably looks like I just contradicted myself. I think that if we talk specifically about a model like the British one, there is perhaps a bit of truth to the negative claims about NHS. It is however pure bullshit to say those negative things are going to happen with NHS, because there are ways of doing NHS that I don't think really have those problems.
    Since when was truth a political priority ? I think you'd manage to create a model far superior to ours, for no other reason than that you're basically starting from scratch and have the experience of so many other failures and successes to draw on. There's a lot of legacy shit that clogs up the arteries of our NHS.

I know this is a trite comparison, but think of the Muslim Arab nations. For someone who actually believes in these religious truths, the separation of church and state seems as silly as the separation of the laws of physics and state. It is an all encompassing fact of life that you can not and must not attempt to cut out of your decisions, particularly not the most important ones like the rule of the government.
    This isn't a question of belief though. Our politicians are frequently religious. The tradition of daily prayers is upheld in both Houses (though they were recently banned for a local council). Tony Blair is a devout Catholic, but he felt the need to hide that, like a dirty secret, until he left office. http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...2/uk.religion1

I couldn't tell you what denomination the current PM is, it's just understood that it's not cool to drag that into the political arena (in an obvious way). If our politicians ended every speech with "God bless Britain", we'd probably have them committed.
    Thank you, Oliver Cromwell / Alastair Campbell.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    I don't think I personally experience too many direct effects from America's political decisions
    The global recession hasn't yet reached your shores ?

I don't entirely blame America for being insular. It's such a huge country with a large population that it's easy to end up like that. If you look at the Chinese and Indians, they are also extremely insular, especially in terms of culture.
    There are good historical reasons for that. And both countries have experienced massive shifts in recent years.
    Perhaps the best comparison to America in this respect is Canada (in terms of size, history and geography) and Canada doesn't seem as insular/insane as the US.

However, I do think America takes it too far. An American friend of mine tells me how frustrated she is at how little is in the news and newspapers about world events - she says even the NYTimes is terrible in this regard. As someone who has lived overseas on and off for years, she's really uncomfortable about how cut off she is from the rest of the world. And I do think the media and education system play a strong role in America's isolation. If you're actively discouraged from opening yourself up to the rest of the world and perhaps even denied knowledge of it, it's not surprising people would end up like that. There's only so much you can expect the average citizen to resist what they've been raised with and become accustomed to.
    "Actively discouraged" makes it sound like a conspiracy. "Not actively encouraged" might be a better description, perhaps... I dunno. This seems to be an organic process, an oversight, rather than something more sinister, like say, Chinese State censorship. But perhaps that's what we're supposed to think? I mean how does one create a sense of unity betwen 51 disparate states other than by emphasising separateness from the rest of the world? The Republican Party rhetoric of recent years has certainly played on the idea that America is besieged by enemies and used that to compromise liberties at home and abroad.

I don't think this is the same. Geographic isolation doesn't mean much today. But to be fair, from what I gather, we haven't felt isolated for 50+ years - the world feels closer to us than it really is. And, we're so small and insignificant on the world's stage, that we actually look outwardly much more than most nations. We're forced to feel more like citizens of the world. I believe we actually have the 2nd highest percentage of population living overseas (it may be as much as 1/5th!).

Anyway, we have to involve ourselves in the world or else our news would be only 10 minutes long - that or they'd be forced to start covering cats being rescued from trees.
    That was kind of my point. Geographic isolation doesn't mean anything today. Not in developed nations. As for too much focus on mundane local news, I worked in Kansas City, MO for 3 mths (I couldn't take more than that, felt like I was going crazy, that I had literally landed in Stepford) and when I switched on cable news in the evening, or tuned into local radio in the morning, it was baffling. Where is the fucking news? why dont they tell me THE NEWS?! what is this shit about a pig fair?? I was dumb-founded by the ignorance of the average man on the street. That and the racial segregation. Just a very different, very backward world. I encountered more enlightened thinking in a Ugandan village than in Kansas. No lie. But they are hungry for it, in every sense.

I guess we don't realise how well-off we are. But actually, Al-Jazeera is better than any American news channel. So is the Chinese news channel I sometimes watch. And the Russian one. What's that about?

I do really hope they do make those steps and find their feet again - or they may be in danger of being left behind.
    I think that's already happened. Travelling to the US, especially Hicksville, but even the likes of New York, is like travelling back in time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INFP

So the world votes Obama, by a landslide. I thought it'd be comprehensive, but not that comprehensive.

Good luck, America.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

I think its fair to say that republicans dont exactly have the best track record, internationally speaking, and that wrt Obama we have the added bonus of having seen him at work the last four years, making him clearly the safer bet.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Who was that man with the wellington on his head throwing glitter on people and turning them gay?

I liked him.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

After careful consideration now, I've choosen Romney in the poll, cause I think he could need an advocate
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    After careful consideration now, I've choosen Romney in the poll, cause I think he could need an advocate
    At least you'll be well paid.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft