User Tag List

View Poll Results: Non-Americans, who would you vote for?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Romney

1 3.23%
  • Obama

30 96.77%
First 2345614 Last

Got the point. Seems like both choices suck a great deal then.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Agreed. But that's the way it is. People are so caught up in their small shit that they don't notice the train until it runs them over.
    What is it that makes the US so mind-fuckingly insular though? I mean, what other nation on earth can compete with them in the "I'm alright Jack!" stakes? North Korea, maybe?

Someone was discussing this the other day and said Oz is so much cooler than the US because it was founded by our convicts as opposed to the Puritans we kicked out. There might be something to that.

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    I have American friends. I want them to have a decent health system.
    Stupid fuckers don't want it though! Which makes it undemocratic.

Quote Originally Posted by Eruca View Post
    Well, for one thing, Romney lies. Lots. I mean, every politician lies, but from what I can see Romney takes the biscuit. If he manages to win this election it sets up one hell of a precedent. I dont want to live in a world where the most powerful country is run by the biggest liar, the man with the least integrity.
    Meh. That's politics. More alarming is the fact that ~50% of Americans think its reasonable to elect to the highest post in the land, a man who wears special pants to show his allegiance to God. I mean, pretty soon they'll be electing mythical super heroes to office.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    What is it that makes the US so mind-fuckingly insular though?
    Well, we have a pretty big country, in terms of geography and population. Not as big as India or China, but big enough -- and on one side we have Canada and the other Mexico, which are not really big/influential enough to challenge our cultural mentality. We're kind of isolated from the rest of the world in that sense. It was a huge deal here in conservative culture with the influx of Asian/Eastern ideas in the 70's.... I can tell you the religious world was in an uproar about all the evils of that. Despite being a melting pot, in some ways we've become very xenophobic I think, even before 9/11 happened. If we were in the middle of Europe where there seems to be much more inflow of ideas, so that everyone is used to different countries and different viewpoints, maybe that would have helped us be more at ease and open.

Also, for a long time, we didn't HAVE to care. We were the superpower, not just militarily but economically. We had a lot of buying power. We're very commercial. We get money so that we can acquire, and we focus a lot of our energy on having access to the right types of goods to make us feel better about ourselves, or entertain ourselves. I suppose that sound cynical, but I think our cultural mentality is very egocentric. I mentioned last year after I spent a month in Thailand that I "felt the temperature drop about ten degrees" so to speak when I got back here; Thailand is a community/service culture in many ways and felt safer and warmer to me, whereas as soon as I landed back here in the States, even if I love many things about my country, I immediately felt on my own, surrounded by a bunch of individuals all looking out for their own interests. It's not that people don't necessarily care at all about others, it's simply that we tend to have blinders on and are most worried about our own little spheres and issues. Few average Americans gave a shit about the Middle East until the Trade Centers came down. We were living in a protective buffer for many many years from the kind of strife some live with daily.

I think that has been radically changing, and part of the reason for our internal strife in the last twenty years is that some of us have started to realize it and want to change our approach / think more globally, while others still have a different view and are living in the past. I think when Bush got elected in 2004 again, there was a huge web push by some Americans to "apologize" to the rest of the world -- people would write out their apologies and photograph themselves with them, to post on a particular site highlighting them.

Someone was discussing this the other day and said Oz is so much cooler than the US because it was founded by our convicts as opposed to the Puritans we kicked out. There might be something to that.
    I don't disagree with that. It's a huge difference in mentality and contributes to where things are today. despite all the talk about Western immorality here, we're still very Puritanical in our underpinnings, and it's not all rationally drawn, it seems to be residual and ingrained.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

The most important factor in a democracy is an informed citizenry. The USA's civic literacy scores are dismal.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    The most important factor in a democracy is an informed citizenry. The USA's civic literacy scores are dismal.
    Maybe he should have tackled education before healthcare?
    But honestly, how literate do you need to be? Isn't universal access to healthcare that doesn't cripple the poor financially for the rest of their lives, like, the definition of a no-brainer?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Well, we have a pretty big country, in terms of geography and population. Not as big as India or China, but big enough -- and on one side we have Canada and the other Mexico, which are not really big/influential enough to challenge our cultural mentality. We're kind of isolated from the rest of the world in that sense.
    I don't think this is a question of geographic isolation - just look at a place like New Zealand - doesn't get more isolated than that. Yet they are culturally very open and progressive.

Also, for a long time, we didn't HAVE to care. We were the superpower, not just militarily but economically.
    Ok. But look at other superpowers. Look at the British Empire or an even better example - the Roman Empire. All about assimilation, integration, picking up the best ideas from all over and refining them into something greater than the sum of its parts..

I think maybe some of it is the Puritan heritage, and some of it is that frontier, land grab, take no prisoners mentality. It's really a kind of wagon-circling fearfulness. I think maybe that's at the heart of the (to us, absurd) patriotism and reluctance to countenance any criticism of Uncle Sam. It's like you guys feel like maybe you don't legitimately belong there, or anywhere, so you overcompensate with all the bluster and "God bless the greatest nation on earth" bs. Maybe.

F CK all I need is U ilikeitlikethat's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so

This just says it all;

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

That idiotic chanting scares the shit out of me. Definition of a mindless mob.

Edit. Check out Romney's face. He looks like he just took a dump in his sacred pants...
    And enjoyed it.

MBTI
    INFP

I know, it's some weird Stockholm Syndrome going on there. Maybe they enjoy the thrill that comes from never knowing where their next illness-related bankruptcy is coming from. Keeps things fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    I know, it's some weird Stockholm Syndrome going on there. Maybe they enjoy the thrill that comes from never knowing where their next illness-related bankruptcy is coming from. Keeps things fresh.
    Government is inherently evil, so even its helping hand must be cut off.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Maybe he should have tackled education before healthcare?
    But honestly, how literate do you need to be? Isn't universal access to healthcare that doesn't cripple the poor financially for the rest of their lives, like, the definition of a no-brainer?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Government is inherently evil, so even its helping hand must be cut off.
    Nicodemus covers a pretty good chunk of the opposition, but there are also alleged practical reasons. Much of America has been convinced that national health care will somehow be more expensive. They've also been convinced that they will have to deal with long delays in getting treatment, sometimes critical treatment, that the overall standard of treatment will be poorer, and that they will be both denied access to certain kinds of medical care and that they will might even actually have certain medical procedures forced upon them.

You know and I know that this is pure bullshit, not even derived from fact. Fact never even played a part. Pure bullshit. But America has a lot of people in the media pushing that misinformation and Americans are generally too illiterate to understand how it's all misinformation.

One other thing to add is that some of the fight goes over what's covered. If birth control, abortion, anything having to do with sex change operations, any kind of therapy that affirms being gay, or something possibly linked to embryonic stem cell usage is supported by a national health care system, there are many Americans who will oppose it for facilitating something immoral.
    Last edited by Kasper; 11-03-2012 at 08:37 PM. Reason: fix broken quote
    Go to sleep, iguana.