User Tag List

View Poll Results: Non-Americans, who would you vote for?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Romney

    1 3.23%
  • Obama

    30 96.77%
First 51314151617 Last

Results 141 to 150 of 165

  1. #141
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    Mm... Living across the pond, I've got to say that it seems as though many (if not most) Europeans think that virtually ALL Americans are like the most flag-waving, gun-totin, right-wing fundamentalist types.
    Yet Obama got reelected, a few states passed laws allowing same-sex marriage by popular vote, and two states legalized marijuana. The hey-day of the fundies is over.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  2. #142
    Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,939

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Yet Obama got reelected, a few states passed laws allowing same-sex marriage by popular vote, and two states legalized marijuana. The hey-day of the fundies is over.
    As much as I love making generalisations, as much as the next person (they're just so easy to make...) I honestly think that anyone trying to generalise about the US is going to trip themselves up. It's just too big and too diverse.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx


    I DOORSLAMMING

  3. #143
    The High Priestess Amargith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi
    Posts
    14,657

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    Mm... Living across the pond, I've got to say that it seems as though many (if not most) Europeans think that virtually ALL Americans are like the most flag-waving, gun-totin, right-wing fundamentalist types.
    Much like all Muslims are considered fanatical terrorists?

    Those who scream loudest leave unfortunately the strongest impression. And ruin it for the rest.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★





    "Harm none, do as ye will”

  4. #144
    4x9 cascadeco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    4 so/sp
    Posts
    6,931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    Mm... Living across the pond, I've got to say that it seems as though many (if not most) Europeans think that virtually ALL Americans are like the most flag-waving, gun-totin, right-wing fundamentalist types.
    I suppose media can be blamed for a lot of that (and it's especially more powerful now that we're in the age of insta-communication and ), and the fact that it'll be the extremes that WILL be publicized more / that want to make their voice heard, or that the media happens to find a)interesting or b)aligns with their own agenda, with the bulk of the masses not wanting to publicize because they actually DON'T want to be in-your-face about things for a myriad of reasons. [It's also the extreme liberals who get publicized]

    Anywho, there's obv. a significant number of americans who are quite opposite the stereotype; it's just the stereotype is extreme, thus honed in on more. (And the stereotype may be becoming more common...time will tell)
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

    My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

  5. #145
    Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,939

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    I suppose media can be blamed for a lot of that (and it's especially more powerful now that we're in the age of insta-communication and ), and the fact that it'll be the extremes that WILL be publicized more / that want to make their voice heard, or that the media happens to find a)interesting or b)aligns with their own agenda, with the bulk of the masses not wanting to publicize because they actually DON'T want to be in-your-face about things for a myriad of reasons. [It's also the extreme liberals who get publicized]

    Anywho, there's obv. a significant number of americans who are quite opposite the stereotype; it's just the stereotype is extreme, thus honed in on more. (And the stereotype may be becoming more common...time will tell)
    Yes. I think @Amargith's point (like yours) is good. Whoever becomes the most notorious/loudest/most obnoxious etc becomes a useful scapegoat for the whole, even if "the whole" isn't that easily summarized.

    Perhaps a lot of Americans have some sort of blanket stereotype of Europeans, too? Not sure...
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx


    I DOORSLAMMING

  6. #146
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    I don't know... I tend to think that Americans are generally much more in-your-face about it, but Canadians do quite a bit of "our country is the greatest," too. But I guess it's closer to implied as far as being more like "well, our country is the best place to live. We hardly even have to point that out, do we?" Although people do still point it out.
    Yeah, but as they're not the only ones to do so, it's less obnoxious/delusionary.

    The EIU's Global Liveability Report
    City Country Rating
    1 Melbourne Australia 97.5
    2 Vienna Austria 97.4
    3
    Vancouver Canada 97.3
    4 Toronto Canada 97.2
    5 Calgary Canada 96.6
    5 Adelaide Australia 96.6
    7 Sydney Australia 96.1
    8 Helsinki Finland 96.0
    9 Perth Australia 95.9
    10 Auckland New Zealand 95.7

    Oz still wins though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  7. #147
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    I suppose media can be blamed for a lot of that (and it's especially more powerful now that we're in the age of insta-communication and ), and the fact that it'll be the extremes that WILL be publicized more / that want to make their voice heard, or that the media happens to find a)interesting or b)aligns with their own agenda, with the bulk of the masses not wanting to publicize because they actually DON'T want to be in-your-face about things for a myriad of reasons. [It's also the extreme liberals who get publicized]

    Anywho, there's obv. a significant number of americans who are quite opposite the stereotype; it's just the stereotype is extreme, thus honed in on more. (And the stereotype may be becoming more common...time will tell)
    Yeah, one problem is that the people who scream the loudest and are most aggressive end up immediately getting the jump on those who want to be more reasoned and don't like to invade other people's spaces. In this case, it was a matter of, "Okay, this is enough."

    Every since the 80's, in the Presidential fights, aside from Clinton (who actually won... twice), the Dem candidates have typically been talkers who don't know how to fight. So they got pwned, and badly. Notice that Obama took a lower tactic himself at least in the face-to-faces until Romney got aggressive; in the past, Dems made the mistake of not hitting back, and instead in the latter two debates Obama (and Biden) came out swinging. There were a lot of complaints on the live channels from the Republicans who thought that it was unpresidential to respond aggressively against their candidate, and that Biden was a mean ol' buzzard to Paul Ryan, but the reality is that this has been something the Republicans were typically better at in past elections and they would dominate. Mondale, Dukakis, Kerry, all these guys just didn't know how to swing at their opponents; and they had their butts handed to them.

    (I'll give a nod to Republican Dole in 1996, who really didn't want to stoop to a hardcore fight in the way Clinton could manage; but who was actually more popular when he allowed his sardonic/cutting side to come out on the talk shows after he lost, and people were like, "Why didn't he do this before?")
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  8. #148
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,338

    Default

    Obama because America is way behind with the rest of the world socially.

  9. #149
    Boring old fossil Night's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None
    Posts
    4,754

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    I suppose media can be blamed for a lot of that (and it's especially more powerful now that we're in the age of insta-communication and ), and the fact that it'll be the extremes that WILL be publicized more / that want to make their voice heard, or that the media happens to find a)interesting or b)aligns with their own agenda, with the bulk of the masses not wanting to publicize because they actually DON'T want to be in-your-face about things for a myriad of reasons. [It's also the extreme liberals who get publicized]

    Anywho, there's obv. a significant number of americans who are quite opposite the stereotype; it's just the stereotype is extreme, thus honed in on more. (And the stereotype may be becoming more common...time will tell)
    What you describes sounds like selective journalism in favor of the sensational at the expense of clarity. Using stereotype to fight stereotype is a fast way towards the construction of a Strawman social identity containing some elements of cultural personality, but unfairly elevating their peripheral prominence and importance to a position of majority representation. Put another way, it's a neverending cycle of intentional sampling errors poisoning one's data pool, resulting in a largely inaccurate representation of what you're reporting.

  10. #150
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Ooooh. Did you really just compare us God-lovin', family-oriented, morally valued, apple pie Christuns to those crazy violent backwards Muslim camel jockeys (ha ha) who are gonna burn for their iniquities?
    I'm just trying to understand why the trend seems to be towards more crazy rather than less (which I think we'd all be in favour of). And can only assume one group's paranoia feeds the other's - in a kind of paranoia arms race. But then I'm remembering McCarthy et al... Maybe it's not all that new, it's just less self-confident/coherent?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Similar Threads

  1. Who are you voting for?
    By The Wailing Specter in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 09-02-2016, 09:47 PM
  2. Who would you vote for?
    By themightyfetus in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 03-15-2016, 09:58 AM
  3. Why would you vote for Hillary Clinton in the primaries?
    By Magic Poriferan in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-13-2016, 01:41 AM
  4. If I candidate for a president of United States would you vote for me?
    By hacbad macbar in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-01-2014, 07:06 AM
  5. Who would you vote for: Hitler or Frankenstein?
    By UniqueMixture in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-22-2013, 01:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO