User Tag List

View Poll Results: Non-Americans, who would you vote for?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Romney

1 3.23%
  • Obama

30 96.77%
First 21011121314 Last

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Good luck with that grand bargain.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    ^ Just as a reference: saying that in Belgium is guaranteed to get you chuckles and outright mocking as well as sarcastic comments.

It is kind of like a child going: 'I'm awesome!' and actually *mean* it quite seriously. In essence, it gets you padded on the head or mocked.

Now, granted, Belgium *would* look ridiculous if it said that to the world with a serious face. But even when nations like the US, China and Russia say it, it makes us roll our eyes and laugh. Coz, seriously, what are you, 5?

That and the 'God bless America'-line gets us every time, no offense.

Then again, knowing only two lines of our national anthem is actually something I (and many others in my country) am proud of. We have a cultural heritage of despising every government and every notion of rulers and country in every way, since we were occupied by pretty much everyone in Europe and were only founded to act as a buffer between the big fat egos of France, Germany and the UK. National sports include mocking the government and evading taxes. Patriotism is only found wrt ones city of birth, usually pertaining football matches.
    This, pretty much (unless there is a soccer game on).
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

In fairness, Germany and Belgium have both done their fair share of petulant chest-beating in the past.
    Leopold II - what a charmer that dude was.

We can only hope America will eventually grow up to be a civilised nation like the rest of us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    In fairness, Germany and Belgium have both done their fair share of petulant chest-beating in the past.
    Leopold II - what a charmer that dude was.

We can only hope America will eventually grow up to be a civilised nation like the rest of us.

Let's be clear here, the time that Leopold was on his high horse, he and Belgium were 2 VERY different things. The man may have had his delusions of grandeur, but the Belgians at the time did what they did best: whatever dude, you go play in the woods and we will continue business as usual. As I said..government=/= the people, even if we elect the morons (which we have to, as we have voting duty instead of voting rights, and get fined for not voting). Belgians take pride in ridiculing and mocking their King and government
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

It's his acceptance speech; he can say whatever he wants.

My anticipation is that folks abroad associate the underlying arrogance (and arrogant it is; "greatest" suggests overwhelming superiority in things that matter on an international stage - things like nationalistic reputation; openly and ethically networking with other nations without undue leverage; pay our bills on time; responsibly take care of our people without endangering the environment in the process, etc. Frankly, while we do some of these things well, it wouldn't be hard to create a short list of other nations who could give us a run for our money on all/some of the aforementioned..) of that remark hearkens back to the Dubya era and, for those with a deeper recollection, our Cold War staring match with the Soviet Union.

But to get offended by it seems kind of silly. It's rhetoric designed to capture and intensify the excitement of the moment. Leave it at that.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

^ I dunno about the person who got offended, but I think in general, the only annoyance it causes is the fact that we get it already; you do not have to keep repeating it at every turn, and it would be nice to change the tune already at times.

I think as an INTJ you probably understand perfectly what this kind of friction this kind of repetition can cause
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

^ I dunno about the person who got offended, but I think in general, the only annoyance it causes is the fact that we get it already; you do not have to keep repeating it at every turn, and it would be nice to change the tune already at times.
    Even if not annoying, it's certainly alien(ating). And not alienating people is usually a sensible move, politically speaking.

(or so I've heard)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

I think as an INTJ you probably understand perfectly what this kind of friction this kind of repetition can cause
    Yeah, no I'm on board with understanding the nauseating repetition of it all. Nobody likes a loudmouth - especially when the loudmouth doesn't always give credit where it's due. My critique is probably more to do with semantics in deciding how much personal investment to pay an outdated pep rally slogan more than anything. Ultimately, many nations have traits that set them apart and provide international personality; the phrase is a goofy and serves to invigorate a voter base probably unaware of the inaccuracies - some startling - that the phrase actually conjures.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    Even if not annoying, it's certainly alien(ating). And not alienating people is usually a sensible move, politically speaking.

(or so I've heard)
    'merrica-hatin' commie eurotrash
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Do you realize, though, that there are tons of really nasty spam e-mails going around through the religious communities here over dumb crap... like (1) when Obama DOESN'T say it [he must be ashamed of God / isn't really a Christian], or (2) didn't wear a flag lapel pin like Bush did [he mustn't be patriotic], and various other assorted and sundry? For you guys, it sounds like people just assume, "Oh, he still has his values and beliefs, he's just focusing on doing his job and not imposing his personal values on others," but over here people are very different in how they perceive it.

And it's not just people whispering or mere bad-mouthing, it is the type of back-biting gossip and discontent that results in a candidate like Mitt Romney running and actually having a chance to win. They circulate these kind of rumors to disparage the president's moral values and character and faith over such stupid little things, and also to kind of arm-twist any moderates within the religious community so that they feel they need to go along with the crowd.

It's pretty sick stuff. These groups are shameless.

I fully expect to see / receive e-mails like this within the next week, about little cues Obama did not give that proves he is just some kind of Muslim sympathizer and not a Christian, and doesn't care about America, and how awful things are that people would vote for this kind of immoral human being.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft