User Tag List

View Poll Results: Non-Americans, who would you vote for?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Romney

1 3.23%
  • Obama

30 96.77%
First 910111213 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

T'ank ya. T'ankyabeddymuch.

"Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

and probably the popular vote too with the population-heavy blue West Coast states still counting their ballots
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

F CK all I need is U ilikeitlikethat's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Since it came up here -- one of my right-wing high-school evangelical friends posted an Obama smear piece about the W.C. bust he sent back to England. I Snopes'd it but only the attribution was off (it wasn't by the British press, it was by some US military guy).

Anyone have more info on what exactly happened here? What Obama did, why the bust was sent back, and what's up with all that? Just curious to hear about it from a non-US source.

Thanks.
    He redecorated his office and it wasn't to his taste.

You'd expect me to care -- (I wonder)?
    I, as patriot as I am British; who still feels kinda' pissed off that NBC didn't show the memorials at the Olympic 2012 Opening Ceremony, does not care that he did that.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

God bless America. Land of the confused.

Let's give the top job to the black guy, but let's not actually allow him to do anything useful with it. 'Cos that's been working out so well for us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    CRZY
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    It's funny. I was just thinking how tiresome it was that the BBC was trying so hard to be balanced. It's basically a competition between a sophisticated intellectual... and an ape. How does one approach that with balance?
    The endless quandary of the (true) journalist. Try not to be biased, try to be balanced, but sometimes, it's just a little like "Holy hell, what can i POSSIBLY write about this person that ISN'T negative?! .... Uhhh, he has nice shoes?"

Terrible things happen to good people every day.
    Consequentially, I am not one of the good people.
    I am one of the terrible things.

Conclusion: Dinosaurs

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    The boy who got his tongue stuck on a metal pole was kind of entertaining, actually.

They interviewed him, and said his friends dared him to do it, and then they interviewed a couple of his friends who purportedly told him "NO DON'T DO IT!" ... then cut to the firefighters who "rescued" him + their warning about tongues in cold weather and metal objects, and finally a cut back to the boy who says, "I'll never do THAT again!"

His tongue was intact.

This was the 6 o'clock news too ... part of the "serious" news hour lol!
    Tho I dont think that that is a bad trait of America alone. Every country has more serious and yellow press news broadcasters, with the yellow press having the most viewers cause there news aint boring. As long as they keep the news channels separated into serious and not serious its ok that way. I just hope they havent mixed that in the States.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

One of my European friends on FB was pretty offended that Obama said the U.S. is the "greatest country on earth". She is more liberal than Obama, so I suspect she would prefer him over Romney, but she was pretty angry. That is what Americans like to hear, but I can see how arrogant it is.

Although, I wonder how much is also cultural, having the expectation that every leader of every country would say that. Every high school football team certainly thinks they are the greatest, and that is the topic of every cheerleader's phrase.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

^ Just as a reference: saying that in Belgium is guaranteed to get you chuckles and outright mocking as well as sarcastic comments.

It is kind of like a child going: 'I'm awesome!' and actually *mean* it quite seriously. In essence, it gets you padded on the head or mocked.

Now, granted, Belgium *would* look ridiculous if it said that to the world with a serious face. But even when nations like the US, China and Russia say it, it makes us roll our eyes and laugh. Coz, seriously, what are you, 5?

That and the 'God bless America'-line gets us every time, no offense.

Then again, knowing only two lines of our national anthem is actually something I (and many others in my country) am proud of. We have a cultural heritage of despising every government and every notion of rulers and country in every way, since we were occupied by pretty much everyone in Europe and were only founded to act as a buffer between the big fat egos of France, Germany and the UK. National sports include mocking the government and evading taxes. Patriotism is only found wrt ones city of birth, usually pertaining football matches.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    One of my European friends on FB was pretty offended that Obama said the U.S. is the "greatest country on earth". She is more liberal than Obama, so I suspect she would prefer him over Romney, but she was pretty angry. That is what Americans like to hear, but I can see how arrogant it is.

Although, I wonder how much is also cultural, having the expectation that every leader of every country would say that. Every high school football team certainly thinks they are the greatest, and that is the topic of every cheerleader's phrase.
    I didn't hear the context, but should I be offended if someone says, "I have the greatest family on earth"? Are they saying my family sucks?

The "God Bless America" has become such a contrivance, it's now commonly used in films to express the duplicity/insincerity of the politician saying it.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post

I would have thought most countries simply don't take themselves so seriously, and laugh at those who do, rather than feel genuine annoyance.

We had a similar slogan once but failed to drink the koolaid. It didn't last very long.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.