User Tag List

View Poll Results: Non-Americans, who would you vote for?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Romney

1 3.23%
  • Obama

30 96.77%
First 89101112 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Sigh. Check THIS out....

http://news.yahoo.com/paul-ryan-says...-politics.html
    No one is out to undermine "western values."
    Ryan probably thinks those involve cowboys and injuns...

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I have no doubt our devout Christians would insinuate or just explicitly declare that those men are charlatans and not people of real faith. For the devout religion is all encompassing, and religion is the most important thing to live up to, and a person who picks and chooses when to push religious values must be someone who doesn't believe religion is all encompassing, meaning he or she has failed to do the most important thing by living up to the religion.
    Cromwell was a Puritan.
    One advantage of having some history is that it's packed with salutary tales.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcarius View Post
    ''England [sic] is just a small island. Its roads and houses are small. With few exceptions, it doesn't make things that people in the rest of the world want to buy. And if it hadn't been separated from the continent by water, it almost certainly would have been lost to Hitler's ambitions. Yet only two lifetimes ago, Britain ruled the largest and wealthiest empire in the history of humankind. Britain controlled a quarter of the earth's land and a quarter of the earth's population.

For what it is worth, Romney is not anti-British but rather a bit politically unsophisticated.
    Is Romney suggesting that the death of Empire was a bad thing? And is he proposing that it was the English Channel that won WWII and not the intervention of his great nation?
    The same can not be said for for Obama as he really does have some kind of complex with Britain. Seriously, Obama's Presidency is littered with insults towards Britain; from days after taking office when he sent the bust of Winston Churchill back, siding with Argentina over the Falkland Islands, his laughable DVD gift to Gordon Brown, and Obama administration’s relentless campaign against BP after the Deepwater Horizon oil spill.
    And we still prefer him to that grinning idiot he's up against! What does that tell ya?

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    the top news stories were a man cutting his lawn in the snow and a boy who got his tongue stuck on a pole.
    That barely qualifies as entertainment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    Even New York?
    To be fair, I was seriously jet-lagged / hung over most of the time I was there, so that colours my recollections. Also, I wound up (accidentally) in a dodgy part of Harlem and thought I'd wandered onto the set of Shaft.
    We don't really do ghettos over here. Quite the culture shock.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Since it came up here -- one of my right-wing high-school evangelical friends posted an Obama smear piece about the W.C. bust he sent back to England. I Snopes'd it but only the attribution was off (it wasn't by the British press, it was by some US military guy).

Anyone have more info on what exactly happened here? What Obama did, why the bust was sent back, and what's up with all that? Just curious to hear about it from a non-US source.

Thanks.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    To be fair, I was seriously jet-lagged / hung over most of the time I was there, so that colours my recollections. Also, I wound up (accidentally) in a dodgy part of Harlem and thought I'd wandered onto the set of Shaft.
    We don't really do ghettos over here. Quite the culture shock.
    You should see Detroit. It's positively post-apocalyptic.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INFP

Careful where your votes go!

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Cromwell was a Puritan.
    One advantage of having some history is that it's packed with salutary tales.
    I know Cromwell was a Puritan. Most Americans don't know who Cromwell is.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I know Cromwell was a Puritan. Most Americans don't know who Cromwell is.
    Just as well, they'd probably elect him President.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Lol. The ZDF (German public television) just stated that 90% of Germans support Obama, 3% would vote for Romney. Im not sure how reliable that number is, but is probably isn't too far from the truth. Of course we too have conservatives and right wing parties, but the evangelical right and the tea party are just soooooooooooo damn far right and completely beyond good evil that they really caused a lot of damage to America's international reputation which is a pity because there are good people in the GOP. I can admit that even if I don't agree with them. So far, the documentaries and talk shows on US poltics that I have seen today (both French and German productions) are so openly pro-Obama that it is starting to be annoying. It's just bad journalism.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

It's funny. I was just thinking how tiresome it was that the BBC was trying so hard to be balanced. It's basically a competition between a sophisticated intellectual... and an ape. How does one approach that with balance?

TG for Mock the Week

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

That barely qualifies as entertainment.
    The boy who got his tongue stuck on a metal pole was kind of entertaining, actually.

They interviewed him, and said his friends dared him to do it, and then they interviewed a couple of his friends who purportedly told him "NO DON'T DO IT!" ... then cut to the firefighters who "rescued" him + their warning about tongues in cold weather and metal objects, and finally a cut back to the boy who says, "I'll never do THAT again!"

His tongue was intact.

This was the 6 o'clock news too ... part of the "serious" news hour lol!
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

F CK all I need is U ilikeitlikethat's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so

Obama won.

I have a restored faith in America, again.