User Tag List

12311 Last

Thread: storm thread

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sx/sp

Default storm thread

For all who are living under a rock, there's gonna be a hurricane hitting the East Coast (USA) pretty soon, I didn't see any other treads about it, so I made this one.

(from East PA)
    so far, we just have some minor rain, it didn't really start yet. most of the schools around me are closed until wendsday because they're expecting power failures.

I got mah generator ready
    Enneagram: Type 5, Dual Wing, SX/SP Instinct, Tritype 5-3w2-9w8
    MBTI: INTP

Like a Baws

Introverted (I) 57.14% Extroverted (E) 42.86%
    Intuitive (N) 63.16% Sensing (S) 36.84%
    Thinking (T) 70.37% Feeling (F) 29.63%
    Perceiving (P) 56.61% Judging (J) 43.39%

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I'm along the southwest Baltimore beltway, right near where I95 hits it.

I work for the FedGov and OPM just closed us all down for tomorrow for sure. WOO HOO!

Not thrilled about the storm, or about losing power potentially, or the property damage or people getting hurt, I hope all that goes okay. But I've been sick since Friday and missed work then, and really didn't want to have to miss another day tomorrow or spend a sick day, so at least it's wonderful timing for my sake.

I just am going to pay some bills tonight and finish preparing for this. Right now I have all the plastic containers filled that I could, in my fridge, in case water goes out. Gonna look for my flashlights tonight. I have batteries. I also bought a flashlight I can recharge in my car if necessary. Bought enough canned and dry foods that I have something to eat, depending on how long power could be off, if I do lose power. And last Sunday my cat was really sick, but he seems to be fine now, so I'm glad that was last weekend and I could get him the care he needed.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

I live in Boston. First I got a notice that my employer was pre-emptively shutting down the core servers (source code control system, wiki, etc), then I got a notice that all NE employees should stay home. I'm hoping the power stays on, and it'll be like a gaming vacation day. We'll see.

Also hoping the roof drain doesn't clog, so I don't have to clamber around the (admittedly flat) roof in rain and wind.

I'm in MD, too. A bit North and west of @Jennifer. So far, a little bit of rain and a breeze. Everything is closed and shelves are empty of bread and water. Either people are preparing, or there's a torture dungeon nearby that I haven't noticed before. I'm planning to work tomorrow, as I work in the private sector. We'll see how that goes. I have batteries, chips, and beef jerky, so I'm prepared!

MBTI
    INTJ

I'm right outside Philly, and it's slowly progressing towards the main event.

I don't have batteries for a flashlight, but I have candles and some bread and water. PB&J and some cereal and milk if the power goes.
    The closer this thing has got, the less intimidating it has become, if I'm listening to the weather reports correctly.

I expect a lot of rain, and some wind, but in the end more hype and hoopla to stir up the economy.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1

VA, here.

Class is cancelled tomorrow (Monday), but our campus wasn't evacuated. Ah, homecoming.

Funnily enough, another school who is more out of the way of the storm's path was evacuated. We're pretty much directly in line to be hit, but we're still here. Truth be told, I don't think it matters much for me either way, but it inconveniences a lot of others if we're still here.

Especially if the basements are flooded again. That sucked last year.

I wonder what Florida's up to.

MBTI
    INTJ

If the stock market is open, work is open.
    And we're in the middle of fiscal planning. It's expected I'll risk my life tomorrow to make it in.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

DC area -- our campus is closed tomorrow, our classes are canceled tomorrow, and we will find out whether we'll have class on Tuesday by 12pm tomorrow.

I am not worried at all! There'll be rain and wind, sure, but in the safety of our dorms and apartments, I believe that my fellow students and I will get through it just fine. Worst that could happen would be some shattered windows, flooded lower level apartments (NOT including mine! ), and/or power/water outages.

Earlier today, I texted my friend who lives a few levels below me in the same campus-owned apartment complex, to tell her that she was welcome to stay in my apartment if her place flooded. But she and I both know that that's unlikely to happen.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by metalmommy View Post
    I'm in MD, too. A bit North and west of Jennifer. So far, a little bit of rain and a breeze. Everything is closed and shelves are empty of bread and water. Either people are preparing, or there's a torture dungeon nearby that I haven't noticed before.
    Are there some that you HAVE noticed before? ha

I know they exist. The girl I lived with over the summer spent the first month or two I lived there going out even during the week, to these underground bondage clubs, where they did some really crazy stuff -- the places where you need to know someone in order to get in. I considered going with her once just to see what it was like, but then she decided to move on with her life and maybe that was for the best...!

I'm planning to work tomorrow, as I work in the private sector. We'll see how that goes. I have batteries, chips, and beef jerky, so I'm prepared!
    Hope things go okay, or that (if they're bad) you end up being closed. What would really stink would be to get flooded/trapped at work.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    I live in Boston. First I got a notice that my employer was pre-emptively shutting down the core servers (source code control system, wiki, etc), then I got a notice that all NE employees should stay home. I'm hoping the power stays on, and it'll be like a gaming vacation day. We'll see.
    ROFL!

Yeah. If power stays on here, I'll either be watching some movies or playing more Aion -- it's a free MMO that seems pretty on par with WoW and with decent anime graphics, and it plays better than Tera does. And did I say it's free? I played until 3am last night (doh) leveling up my Gladiator wielding the polearm. I figure, again, that free (rather than $15/month) works for me if the game is decent enough. )

Quote Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
    I expect a lot of rain, and some wind, but in the end more hype and hoopla to stir up the economy.
    Yet one more chance for Obama to look Presidential, before the end approaches...

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    I am not worried at all! There'll be rain and wind, sure, but in the safety of our dorms and apartments, I believe that my fellow students and I will get through it just fine. Worst that could happen would be some shattered windows, flooded lower level apartments (NOT including mine! ), and/or power/water outages.
    It actually sounds kinda fun, in a group situation. Lots of stuff to do, hang out, watch the excitement, have an experience that you'll be recounting 20 years from now.

unless of course one of them catches the Zombie virus or you're trapped in your dorm for three weeks and suddenly are fighting over who eats whom to live.