First 23456 Last

Thread: storm thread

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

So far not a lot to look at -- just grey, dreary, light rain, a few small wind gusts but otherwise preternaturally still.

Looking at the updates, the storm made the turn (gotta love it when the jetstream and other fronts conspire to shove that monster right over top of us). Landfall is expected around 6pm today.

Time to cook.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

You know I can live without seeing all of my fellow dorks here for a day and a storm of epic proportions on the side to witness in totoal and complete darkness should exceed the excitement of most apocalyptic movies and don't forget that they year is indeed 2012 so don't lose your minds in surprise if worse weather comes later.

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    I live in Boston. First I got a notice that my employer was pre-emptively shutting down the core servers (source code control system, wiki, etc), then I got a notice that all NE employees should stay home. I'm hoping the power stays on, and it'll be like a gaming vacation day. We'll see.

Also hoping the roof drain doesn't clog, so I don't have to clamber around the (admittedly flat) roof in rain and wind.
    YEAH BOSTON.

Roommie and I dragged all our porch furniture into the apartment and filled up some containers with fresh water. Charged batteries of all sorts, dug up a flashlight. We have tons of food in the house, so I don't think we'll starve. It's kind of windy right now, some light rain, I don't think the storm is upon us fully quite yet. We are both doing some work, then going to watch Downton Abby (which I now can spell and pronounce properly), provided the power holds out.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    and for those not yet living under a rock, prepare for a change of address.
    XD i kinda thought something like this when I typed that, but I didn't make a joke out of it because it was an OP. still funny though :P

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    So far not a lot to look at -- just grey, dreary, light rain, a few small wind gusts but otherwise preternaturally still.

Looking at the updates, the storm made the turn (gotta love it when the jetstream and other fronts conspire to shove that monster right over top of us). Landfall is expected around 6pm today.

Time to cook.
    same here pretty much, staring out the window at the drizzle while listening to benny and the jets and waiting for water to boil. looks like an internet day XD

PS: cooking without music is not cooking :3

EDIT: also, i saw on facebook that the tomb of the unknown soldier guards are still standing out there through this 0.0 if its true, those guys are awesome
    Enneagram: Type 5, Dual Wing, SX/SP Instinct, Tritype 5-3w2-9w8
    MBTI: INTP

Like a Baws

Introverted (I) 57.14% Extroverted (E) 42.86%
    Intuitive (N) 63.16% Sensing (S) 36.84%
    Thinking (T) 70.37% Feeling (F) 29.63%
    Perceiving (P) 56.61% Judging (J) 43.39%

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by acronach View Post
    EDIT: also, i saw on facebook that the tomb of the unknown soldier guards are still standing out there through this 0.0 if its true, those guys are awesome
    Yeah. I'm not a traditionalist or overly patriotic in terms of my overall personality, but that kind of thing to me is very awe-inspiring and meaningful to me... the sense of responsibility and the resilience to maintain one's mission in the face of adversity.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

These are the days when I love the faux invincibility that comes with owning an AWD vehicle. Sitting in a coffee shop watching the rain for a few minutes before making a quick grocery run.
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

You all sound pretty chilled about it. I might be more worried than those of you in the affected areas. I have a feeling that scary weather freaks me out partly because I don't experience it very often. Well, I'm glad everyone posting here seems to be prepared.

/neurotic, anxious type 6
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    You all sound pretty chilled about it. I might be more worried than those of you in the affected areas. I have a feeling that scary weather freaks me out partly because I don't experience it very often. Well, I'm glad everyone posting here seems to be prepared.

/neurotic, anxious type 6
    Same for me, re: the bolded. The only reason why I'm not freaking out is that all my friends from coastal, scary-weather-prone areas (e.g. south Florida and Louisiana) aren't freaking out. Even my own parents are certain that if I stay indoors and have enough food, then everything will work out fine.

Of course, it's not so bad in DC right now -- more like a really bad rainstorm than a hurricane. My roommate just walked a mile or two to get her computer repaired, and came back unscathed.

We're thinking of ordering Chinese food delivered tonight, if anywhere'll still be open!

Quote Originally Posted by acronach View Post
    =EDIT: also, i saw on facebook that the tomb of the unknown soldier guards are still standing out there through this 0.0 if its true, those guys are awesome
    I saw that too. Amazing. I'm not sure if my nationalism would be strong enough for that.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    YEAH BOSTON.
    Represent!

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Roommie and I dragged all our porch furniture into the apartment and filled up some containers with fresh water. Charged batteries of all sorts, dug up a flashlight. We have tons of food in the house, so I don't think we'll starve. It's kind of windy right now, some light rain, I don't think the storm is upon us fully quite yet. We are both doing some work, then going to watch Downton Abby (which I now can spell and pronounce properly), provided the power holds out.
    Yeah... so far isn't too bad, but building is already swaying more than it did in the couple of (minor) earthquakes we've had here over the years. I hoping the power stays on, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    Represent!

Yeah... so far isn't too bad, but building is already swaying more than it did in the couple of (minor) earthquakes we've had here over the years. I hoping the power stays on, too.
    Are you high up? We are fortunately in a three-story, so not so bad.

The most dramatic thing is that there are leaves EVERYWHERE.
    Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    We're thinking of ordering Chinese food delivered tonight, if anywhere'll still be open!
    AHH don't give me any ideas!