User Tag List

12 Last

Default Are you a a(n) (un)likely voter?

Do you plan to vote in the next election?

What do you believe is at stake in your next election? (In the U.S., it is not just about the president, but the House and Senate. Many states have propositions, and measures too. In California, there is the much talked about Proposition 30 regarding education funding).

Do you know where to go to vote on an eligible day of voting?

What good might come about if the things that you vote for come to pass or the people you vote for become elected?

Do you know when on an eligible voting day you will go to vote?

What do you have to differently from your normal day to vote? (Will you have to take time from work?, Will you have to wake up extra early? Will you have to go to an alternative polling place if you are not voting on election day?...)

*Although, the US election is the one on my mind, this can be about any election around the world.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Yes

What do you believe is at stake in your next election? (In the U.S., it is not just about the president, but the House and Senate. Many states have propositions, and measures too. In California, there is the much talked about Proposition 30 regarding education funding).
    Aside from the presidential election, prop 30, 32, and 37. And yes, I'll be voting yes on 30, no on 32 and yes on 37.

Yes, the same place I did my pre-voting.

What good might come about if the things that you vote for come to pass or the people you vote for become elected?
    Well, we are seeing changed districts in California. So the fact that there is a district that represents most of my city and county as a whole is nice.

30 would mean enough of the stupid tax cuts towards k-12 and especially higher education (where we've seen a ~200% increase in fees since 2000.)

32 is just a big sham that people are trying to capitalize on with Citizen's United. People that don't know that federal law trumps state law will not know that Citizen's United>Prop 32.

37 would mean there would at least be some label telling consumers that their food is genetically modified.

November 6th, right after class.

What do you have to differently from your normal day to vote? (Will you have to take time from work?, Will you have to wake up extra early? Will you have to go to an alternative polling place if you are not voting on election day?...)
    Nope

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Yes

There are two amendments to vote on in the state of Minnesota. I will be voting NO on both.

AMENDMENT 1
    RECOGNITION OF MARRIAGE SOLELY BETWEEN ONE MAN AND ONE WOMAN

Shall the Minnesota Constitution be amended to provide that only a union of one man and one woman shall be valid or recognized as a marriage in Minnesota?

AMENDMENT 2
    PHOTO IDENTIFICATION REQUIRED FOR VOTING

Shall the Minnesota Constitution be amended to require all voters to present valid photo identification to vote and to require the state to provide free identification to eligible voters, effective July 1, 2013?

Yes

I'm a strong believer that gays should be allowed to marry and have the same marriage rights that opposite couples do.

I'm politically liberal so I hope the candidates that share my views win and keep their promises.

Whenever the line is short.

What do you have to differently from your normal day to vote? (Will you have to take time from work?, Will you have to wake up extra early? Will you have to go to an alternative polling place if you are not voting on election day?...)[/b]

Nothing. I do happen to have part of the day off anyway which is nice.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

your resident asshole

Yes and this will be my first time.

Hmm...I'm not sure. There is a lot of talk about proposals 2 and 6. Proposal 2 regards collective bargaining rights between the public and private sectors while proposal 6 would require the Michigan people to approve any bridge to Canada before it is built. I plan on voting "yes" to these two.

Yes.

Well, I'm fiercely liberal, so I hope that Obama will keep doing everything he's been doing and then some. Gay marriage is also a nice thing.

Really, there aren't any big changes that I would expect to happen, though.

I won't be voting at any particular time.

Nothing. I actually don't have any classes that day.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    I won't be voting at any particular time.
    This is not a good sign (especially among first time voters). Often, the day just goes by with many more responsibilities and and things to take care of than anticipated...or if it a day off sort of situation, people loose track of time doing something they enjoy for a change, and miss their opportunity.

It get's stressful for me after the day has started, so I plan on voting early in the morning Nov. 6th (right when polls open). That way the rest of the day can go as normal. For me, the things I have completely made up my mind on are California Propositions 30 and 32. The rest, I am still wavering on. Like many elections, I will hold my nose, and vote so that my (albeit ambivalent) "voice" is heard.

It will be interesting come election day to see if you actually cast your vote.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

your resident asshole

This is not a good sign (especially among first time voters). Often, the day just goes by with many more responsibilities and and things to take care of than anticipated...or if it a day off sort of situation, people loose track of time doing something they enjoy for a change, and miss their opportunity.

It get's stressful for me after the day has started, so I plan on voting early in the morning Nov. 6th (right when polls open). That way the rest of the day can go as normal. For me, the things I have completely made up my mind on are California Propositions 30 and 32. The rest, I am still wavering on. Like many elections, I will hold my nose, and vote so that my (albeit ambivalent) "voice" is heard.

It will be interesting come election day to see if you actually cast your vote.
    Oh I won't miss voting. My parents are actually taking me and they never miss a year. I will be voting when they do. So I suppose they might have a particular time in mind, but I don't know when that happens to be.

Compulsory Voting

We have compulsory voting but 'compulsory' is a bit of a misnomer for on the one occasion I didn't vote, I received a letter from the Electroral Commission asking why I didn't vote and I wrote back saying I wasn't feeling well in the day. And that was all I heard about it.

So rather than have compulsory voting we have a democratic duty to vote.

This is a very popular duty across the whole of Australia. And if we wished to change this we could but we are happy to do our democratic duty and vote.

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

My husband and I voted today.
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

I always vote like mine is the only one will and will decide everything. The only election I've missed since registering to vote was a local election at an odd time to fill a recently vacated seat.

All kinds of stuff. I'm pretty much decided on all but 2 of the propositions (we've got 11). I think I do not yet know enough about those 2 to make a good decision.

Two blocks west, then two blocks north.

Perhaps something resembling fiscal responsibility.

First thing in the morning.

I will be working as a clerk at a polling place across town like I usually do.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

Junior Member LadyVioletBaudelaire's Avatar
    Enneagram
    4w3 sp/sx

I plan not to vote. I thought about, but when I found out I would have to go down there, I decided against. Besides I don't have any particularly coherent political opinions to vote for, so I'd probably just end up randomly ticking boxes.
    Not "Revelation"—'tis—that waits,
    But our unfurnished eyes—
    ~ Emily Dickinson