User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INtP

Do you plan to vote in the next election?
    Yes -- although I don't always vote in primaries / small elections, I always do on the 2-year major election cycle.

What do you believe is at stake in your next election?
    For me, it's a matter of doing what I can to limit the damage that plutocrats (I don't call them conservatives, as they're not) are pushing for.

Do you know where to go to vote on an eligible day of voting?
    Yes, my polling place is an elementary school a couple of blocks from my house.

What good might come about if the things that you vote for come to pass or the people you vote for become elected?
    Probably not much. It's more a matter of preventing things from getting worse at a faster pace. The folks that I'll vote for may try to turn things around, but it's unlikely that they'll go far enough to do what I believe is helpful. But they're far, far better than the alternative.

Do you know when on an eligible voting day you will go to vote?
    Yes -- I'll stop by the school on my way to work.

What do you have to differently from your normal day to vote?
    Not really too much differently -- I'll go to the school to vote before work, which might make me late, might not. Nobody in the office will likely know/care if I'm a little late, and if I explain that I stopped off to vote, there won't be a problem at all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post

What do you believe is at stake in your next election? (In the U.S., it is not just about the president, but the House and Senate. Many states have propositions, and measures too. In California, there is the much talked about Proposition 30 regarding education funding).

What good might come about if the things that you vote for come to pass or the people you vote for become elected?

What do you have to differently from your normal day to vote? (Will you have to take time from work?, Will you have to wake up extra early? Will you have to go to an alternative polling place if you are not voting on election day?...)

*Although, the US election is the one on my mind, this can be about any election around the world.
    I always vote, every opportunity I get, in every way I get, not just political elections.

When I was in the ROI I registered as a voter there and cast votes, when elections take place in NI I vote every single time and if I can I get my poll card to take home and put with the others I've collected over the years (one or two were torn by the people working in the polling station).

I know there are people who would want to stay home, who'd like to deprive me of a vote, I know that there is institutional corruption too which will impact upon even cast votes being effective and that's before the party system, money, the deep state, the secret state and geopolitics mess up the gears but I think voting is the least, the very least, I can do to try and influence the state, political life and how those things impact upon public life, culture and social norms.

What do I do? In NI I have to go early or late to the polling station, sometimes its held in protestant schools or locations which will be unfamiliar to me, I'll walk past the armed police, they dont have body armour, machine guns and soldiers in support these days, unless there is a threat in progress and probably groups of campaigners, political supporters and leaflet passers on the way (who in the past may have grabbed your polling card or asked your name to try and form a view as to your community background), sometimes they are joined by evangelists who will tell me that my community background predestines me to eternal life in hell fire, I cast my vote and go home.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post

What do you believe is at stake in your next election? (In the U.S., it is not just about the president, but the House and Senate. Many states have propositions, and measures too. In California, there is the much talked about Proposition 30 regarding education funding).

What do you have to differently from your normal day to vote? (Will you have to take time from work?, Will you have to wake up extra early? Will you have to go to an alternative polling place if you are not voting on election day?...)
    Yes.

The Supreme Court, and by extension the entire notion of a federal government whose power is practically limited through Constitutionally enumerated powers. Also, the economy and the deficit.

Yes.

For me, its more about limiting the damage done by the progressive wing of the Democratic Party, especially as far as Judicial appointments are concerned.

That depends on whether I find employment between now and then.

I live about three blocks away from my polling place, so it generally requires no special effort beyond setting aside an hour or two (depending on the time of day); in fact, I'm usually out in less than 15 minutes for non-Presidential elections.

I think the future of the US is a Tea Party dictatorship.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Yes.

What do you believe is at stake in your next election?

Whether we take steps to increase or decrease political and economic equality.

I live in Indiana. Mitch Daniels has been our governor. He has been privatizing everything he can get his hands on. He's been working really hard at privatizing public education. We voted in property tax caps a few years ago which has resulted in education and other cuts. Daniels is term-limited, so he's out no matter what. I'm hoping that between discontent and having both a Libertarian candidate and a Tea Party candidate, the Democratic candidate has a chance.

In the senate race, Republican Senator Lugar lost to a Tea Party candidate in the primaries. Once again, a Libertarian candidate is also running, so it's possible a Democratic candidate has a chance.

Yes, the local National Guard armory, conveniently located next to my children's high school.

At this point I'm just hoping for a little damage control.

I'll probably go around 4PM because that is when my husband will be awake for the day and we can go together.

What do you have to differently from your normal day to vote?

Not much besides just go there.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I always vote, every opportunity I get, in every way I get, not just political elections.

When I was in the ROI I registered as a voter there and cast votes, when elections take place in NI I vote every single time and if I can I get my poll card to take home and put with the others I've collected over the years (one or two were torn by the people working in the polling station).

I know there are people who would want to stay home, who'd like to deprive me of a vote, I know that there is institutional corruption too which will impact upon even cast votes being effective and that's before the party system, money, the deep state, the secret state and geopolitics mess up the gears but I think voting is the least, the very least, I can do to try and influence the state, political life and how those things impact upon public life, culture and social norms.

What do I do? In NI I have to go early or late to the polling station, sometimes its held in protestant schools or locations which will be unfamiliar to me, I'll walk past the armed police, they dont have body armour, machine guns and soldiers in support these days, unless there is a threat in progress and probably groups of campaigners, political supporters and leaflet passers on the way (who in the past may have grabbed your polling card or asked your name to try and form a view as to your community background), sometimes they are joined by evangelists who will tell me that my community background predestines me to eternal life in hell fire, I cast my vote and go home.
    I confess this is more exciting than the casting of my vote. All I have to look forward to is sunshine and barbequed sausages.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I confess this is more exciting than the casting of my vote. All I have to look forward to is sunshine and barbequed sausages.
    I'd trade with you.