User Tag List

View Poll Results: How will the popular vote and electoral college be split?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Obama wins both.

17 54.84%
  • Romney wins both.

2 6.45%
  • Obama wins the electoral college and Romney wins the popular vote.

11 35.48%
  • Romney wins the electoral college and Obama wins the popular vote.

1 3.23%
First 3456715 Last

Quote Originally Posted by LEGERdeMAIN View Post
    Has there ever been an election that didn't involve voter fraud?
    Nope, lol

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Has there ever been an election that didn't involve voter fraud?
    It's less a matter of whether there has been some kind of fraud and more a matter of whether it's negligible or not. If fraud is widespread enough, it can change an election.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    It's less a matter of whether there has been some kind of fraud and more a matter of whether it's negligible or not. If fraud is widespread enough, it can change an election.
    That was my point. Usually fraud happens on a small scale. It's usually negligible or, at least, undetected.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

That was my point. Usually fraud happens on a small scale. It's usually negligible or, at least, undetected.
    I think people naturally worry about the "black box" of electronic voting, since it seems very easy to tamper with electronic data especially if the manufacturers are beholden to one side or the other, without proper audit channels set up -- and not just audits for the data, but audits for the programming and machinery.

We've also had some very tight elections in swing states where a small number of fraudulent votes could swing a state or national election. So even small amounts of fraud can have large impact.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

I think people naturally worry about the "black box" of electronic voting, since it seems very easy to tamper with electronic data especially if the manufacturers are beholden to one side or the other, without proper audit channels set up -- and not just audits for the data, but audits for the programming and machinery.

We've also had some very tight elections in swing states where a small number of fraudulent votes could swing a state or national election. So even small amounts of fraud can have large impact.
    This right here. There is connection between these machines and some people up there. The fact that some swing states are using these electronic booths make it suspect.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I'm baffled by how the current, dominant theme in the media is that Obama is an underdog and he only has a few days left to change everything or lose. Most people who are actually doing statistical analysis of the race are giving Obama the greater likelihood of winning. It's not by a big margin mind you, but it's not negligible. They're saying you'd be wiser to place your bet on Obama. So it really doesn't cooperate with this narrative about Obama trying to rescue a burning zeppelin.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    This right here. There is connection between these machines and some people up there. The fact that some swing states are using these electronic booths make it suspect.
    Okay. I just voted (in Maryland).

They use computer touchscreens and save your ballot on a smartcard.

Problems already:

1. While I got a screen review of my ballot (and it was accurate), I have no idea what got saved to the card.

2. I handed my card to some worker rather than dropping it into a box (by their design), so for all I know, it went into his pocket or in the trash. Technically, the guy could go home with them and do whatever.

3. I don't even know if my card was working correctly.

I'm sure I could come up with more security issues.

Maybe it's paranoid to see all the system stress points, but hey I've worked in computers my whole career, and I have no knowledge of their physical safety procedures regarding the cards -- where they are stored, when they are tabulated, how easy it is to tamper with them, what kind of data checks they do, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I'm baffled by how the current, dominant theme in the media is that Obama is an underdog and he only has a few days left to change everything or lose. Most people who are actually doing statistical analysis of the race are giving Obama the greater likelihood of winning. It's not by a big margin mind you, but it's not negligible. They're saying you'd be wiser to place your bet on Obama. So it really doesn't cooperate with this narrative about Obama trying to rescue a burning zeppelin.
    Even with the "big bad godless liberal media" out there disparaging poor conservatives for years and years, they can't seem to outspin the Republican machine. So who exactly is in control of the media again?

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Even with the "big bad godless liberal media" out there disparaging poor conservatives for years and years, they can't seem to outspin the Republican machine. So who exactly is in control of the media again?
    Oh, I'm sure painting Obama as the underdog is somehow exactly what the liberal media wants!
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Oh, I'm sure painting Obama as the underdog is somehow exactly what the liberal media wants!
    Gushdernit, those liberuls are crafty li'l buggers!

MBTI
    FREE

New polls are out which suggest a tightening of the national numbers and a shift in the electoral college in favor of Obama. In terms of this thread's poll, that means a shift from options 2, 3 and 4 towards option 1. Of course, this is only to the extent that the polling methodology and practices are sound. I'm so excited to see the results!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]