User Tag List

View Poll Results: How will the popular vote and electoral college be split?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Obama wins both.

17 54.84%
  • Romney wins both.

2 6.45%
  • Obama wins the electoral college and Romney wins the popular vote.

11 35.48%
  • Romney wins the electoral college and Obama wins the popular vote.

1 3.23%
First 303839404142 Last

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

i was bored and actually turned on the television, to have some back ground noise. it was quiet in the house. i had it on discovery channel, one of those stations, where they have the show, "how they do that?"

they were showing a factory that produces sandwiches. those ones in vending machines and in the packages when you walk into those crappy convenience stores in the middle of the night, after you have driven x number of miles and you are away from any real restaurant or grocery store.

in the factory, there were 2 lines, one side sandwiches were being made by machines, doing all the work and closing up the sandwiches and the other were people who were wage workers, doing everything by hand. seeing both the machines work one side, it was obvious that the workers on the other side could easily be replaced.

just got me thinking, really depressing how those people stand in line just placing bread on sandwiches all day, a job that really does not require much of anything. investing soo much of their own time and their own lives and when times comes, those people get layed off, they wont have anything to show for it, just that they can make a sandwich.

i worry, really do that there are many people in the us, that get stuck in those jobs because obviously they have to work but just walk away with nothing to show. i really hope there can be some kind of reform, where everyone learns some kind of skill when they leave high school or wherever to fall back on.

but companies wont be able to benefit with out having unqualified low wage workers, an so maybe it works out better if not everyone gets an education for them, maybe?

romney was a dead end

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

damn you for double posting

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    In this day and age surely it wouldn't be too difficult to come up with some non-partisan computer algorithm to divide up districts based on population? It could produce eg 7 possible models and both parties get to strike out 3 options each that they don't like, with the last option standing being the new district divisions. Or 9 models, or 13, or whatever. Pipe dreams I know, but at least it stops the practice of putting people into new districts specifically to suppress their vote.

This is why I generally avoid politics threads.
    There's the Shortest Splitline Algorithm.

1: Start with the boundary outline of the state.

2: Let N=A+B where N is the number of districts to create, and A and B are two whole numbers, either equal (if N is even) or differing by exactly one (if N is odd). For example, if N is 10, each of A and B would be 5. If N is 7, A would be 4 and B would be 3.

3: Among all possible straight lines that split the state into two parts with the population ratio A:B, choose the shortest. If there are two or more such shortest lines, chose the one that is most north-south in direction; if there is still more than one possibility, chose the westernmost.

4: We now have two hemi-states, each to contain a specified number (namely A and B) of districts. Handle them recursively via the same splitting procedure.

5: Any human residence that is split in two or more parts by the resulting lines is considered to be a part of the most north-eastern of the resulting districts; if this doesn't decide it, then of the most northern.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Kind of irrelevant now, but I just saw it and was amused by it... I think those who have played old Street Fighter and earlier games might find it funny as well.

"Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP

^ Collegehumor usually has great animated shorts and song parodies....I never could get into their live-action skits, though.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    It's worth noting that this, like an electoral map, looks more red than it really is simply because larger but less populous states are generally more Republican.
    I don't know if someone will duplicate the concept for 2012, but I think back in 2004, someone took the purplish map and also stretched/shrunk the geography to reflect population distribution (to even out the pop). Let me see if I can find it...

EDIT: Here's a page full of various maps from 2004... I find the pop density maps most interesting.
    http://www.princeton.edu/~rvdb/JAVA/election2004/

Here's the geographically distorted map to even out the pop density:

The whole goal is to show the country unified in its diversity, rather than this horrible either/or, black/white (red/blue) polarized view, and also that it's not about a few states of one color surrounded by a sea of another... we're actually very blended.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by gasoline View Post
    i was bored and actually turned on the television, to have some back ground noise. it was quiet in the house. i had it on discovery channel, one of those stations, where they have the show, "how they do that?"

they were showing a factory that produces sandwiches. those ones in vending machines and in the packages when you walk into those crappy convenience stores in the middle of the night, after you have driven x number of miles and you are away from any real restaurant or grocery store.

in the factory, there were 2 lines, one side sandwiches were being made by machines, doing all the work and closing up the sandwiches and the other were people who were wage workers, doing everything by hand. seeing both the machines work one side, it was obvious that the workers on the other side could easily be replaced.

just got me thinking, really depressing how those people stand in line just placing bread on sandwiches all day, a job that really does not require much of anything. investing soo much of their own time and their own lives and when times comes, those people get layed off, they wont have anything to show for it, just that they can make a sandwich.

i worry, really do that there are many people in the us, that get stuck in those jobs because obviously they have to work but just walk away with nothing to show. i really hope there can be some kind of reform, where everyone learns some kind of skill when they leave high school or wherever to fall back on.

but companies wont be able to benefit with out having unqualified low wage workers, an so maybe it works out better if not everyone gets an education for them, maybe?

romney was a dead end
    Obsolescence is a long term issue that neither party is addressing well. If we continue our technological advancement, it is inevitable that we'll reach a point where manual labor is no longer necessary. I know some people will be able to earn a living through entrepreneurship, art, and the like, but many people aren't built for that. What happens to them? We can't expect Wal-Mart to hire 100 million greeters or have 100 million people entirely dependent on the government with no hope of contributing to society in a meaningful way.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Obsolescence is a long term issue that neither party is addressing well. If we continue our technological advancement, it is inevitable that we'll reach a point where manual labor is no longer necessary. I know some people will be able to earn a living through entrepreneurship, art, and the like, but many people aren't built for that. What happens to them?
    I've thought about this so much over the years. It's part of the reason that I have a theory that after a certain point, technological advancement begins to have a negative effect on general human well-being. I don't quite advocate everyone turning Amish, but I think we passed that turning point sometime in the second half of the 20th century. I know that everyone's first counter-argument would be medicine, but I think that medical advancements prolong the elder years with questionable quality of life as much as they improve the well-being of younger people. From a pragmatic standpoint I don't think you can reasonably argue against the fact that an increase in the population of limited-capacity elderly people is a problem.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INTj

I tried to vote, but it seems like the poll is closed.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Obsolescence is a long term issue that neither party is addressing well. If we continue our technological advancement, it is inevitable that we'll reach a point where manual labor is no longer necessary. I know some people will be able to earn a living through entrepreneurship, art, and the like, but many people aren't built for that. What happens to them? We can't expect Wal-Mart to hire 100 million greeters or have 100 million people entirely dependent on the government with no hope of contributing to society in a meaningful way.
    This is basically the most negative way of looking at what ought to be a good thing. Any situation where technology makes laborers obsolete altogether should be a situation in which we can afford being extremely generous in terms of social welfare. The short answer is that we would be in a world where people could happily live without being salary workers.
    Go to sleep, iguana.