User Tag List

View Poll Results: How will the popular vote and electoral college be split?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Obama wins both.

17 54.84%
  • Romney wins both.

2 6.45%
  • Obama wins the electoral college and Romney wins the popular vote.

11 35.48%
  • Romney wins the electoral college and Obama wins the popular vote.

1 3.23%
First 273536373839 Last

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I wrote in a blog post about how I saw the Obama haters as fundamentally different from the Bush haters because the Bush haters seemed to perceive a tough, almost even battle within the united states over right and wrong against contemptible half of the population, while the Obama haters seemed constantly convinced that everyone was actually in the same boat as them and only a very tiny minority or some shady conspiracy was supporting Obama.

It's looking to me like that's just changed this week. From the highest profile pundits down to the random people commenting on news articles, there has been a change in the language. It seems that as of Tuesday night, far more Obama haters now realize there is a very large number of Obama supporters in the country, and the result is the utmost incredulous acrimony.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    while the Obama haters seemed constantly convinced that everyone was actually in the same boat as them and only a very tiny minority or some shady conspiracy was supporting Obama.
    Yeah, I wonder why that is. Even my conservative parents took this tone, and it's not like they follow politics or news religiously (or really at all, except the occasional Fox blurb.)
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INTP

I wrote in a blog post about how I saw the Obama haters as fundamentally different from the Bush haters because the Bush haters seemed to perceive a tough, almost even battle within the united states over right and wrong against contemptible half of the population, while the Obama haters seemed constantly convinced that everyone was actually in the same boat as them and only a very tiny minority or some shady conspiracy was supporting Obama.

It's looking to me like that's just changed this week. From the highest profile pundits down to the random people commenting on news articles, there has been a change in the language. It seems that as of Tuesday night, far more Obama haters now realize there is a very large number of Obama supporters in the country, and the result is the utmost incredulous acrimony.
    So, basically, you're saying the polarization has now reached a stage of mutual contempt?

I dearly wish I could disagree with that assessment....I think the worst part is the casualness and totality of the vitriol. People on both sides are not simply agreeing to disagree and awkwardly avoiding political discussions with friends and acquaintences anymore, they're seeing a different political choice as a massive character flaw worthy of unrestrained scorn.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by LEGERdeMAIN View Post
    I oppose Obama because his policies, and the bills he has signed into law, are decreasing the chances I'll be able to find a good job in the near future. Getting off your ass doesn't help much if there are no jobs available, or when a job opens up and there's 300 applicants, one of whom will receive an enormous 7.50 dollar per hour pay rate.
    This sounds remarkably like whiny pessimistic speculation to me to assume you won't be able to find work just because Obama got elected, before you even see what types of things are actually implemented and their actual effect is.... more unnecessary drama.

Your career is your own, and you'll be required to find work no matter who is president. I've lost jobs; I've worked hard and gotten jobs. It's not easy, but you just get a plan in place and work your ass off to make it happen, and don't give up.

Ah. Disillusionment. I think it's really hard when someone finally realizes that friends and loved ones are diametrically opposed to their own value set. What do you do with that, then?

Acrimony is not mandatory, mind you. I realized a long time ago that people I loved had a fundamentally different view of the world than me. It still hurts. But I try hard not to hate them when things happen where they seem to support rules and systems that are harmful to me and values I hold and other people I care about. It's hard sometimes. It's easier to accept differences when it's people you don't know nor care for.

EDIT:
    Well, look at this...
    http://news.yahoo.com/freaking-best-...-politics.html

Rush Limbaugh: "Surprising precisely no one, the syndicated radio host didn't take Tuesday night's decision well, saying Wednesday: "I went to bed last night thinking we're outnumbered. I went to bed last night thinking all this discussion we'd had about this election being the election that will tell us whether or not we've lost the country. I went to bed last night thinking we've lost the country. I don't know how else you look at this."

See, that's the thing. I've long been aware how large the forces opposing me are. It really bothers me that he has been in the business as long he has and hasn't realized how many disagree with him... or that he actually has lost the country a long time ago.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    FREE

http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-epi...12-nate-silver

This is a must watch. In particular, I'd like for those of you who voted Republican to watch it and give me your take.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

to the obama haters

(so sick of the whining)

MBTI
    FREE

You know, I was really annoyed with the Republican establishment dismissing the polls and analyses put forth by reputable people. I thought, just maybe, with the clear evidence of an Obama victory, that they would step back and reassess. But no, now they are blaming the loss on lazy, entitled minorities, and Obama's dirty campaigning. Fucking unbelievable. My ability to be accepting is waning... I want these people gone.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-epi...12-nate-silver
    In particular, I'd like for those of you who voted Republican to watch it and give me your take.
    Any particular time slot? You may understand that we're not exactly in the mood to subject ourselves to 30 minutes of Democratic gloating right now....

Without watching, here's my take on Nate Silver; he was right (and more importantly, so were folks at PPP and Marist). This indicates that polling (and exit polling) have vastly improved since 2004, and the traditional Democratic/Republican turn-out gap no longer exists (we'll need to wait until 2016 to determine whether that's structural or linked closely to Obama's appeal-I've recently heard that Obama's own campaign team thinks its the latter, but I have not yet investigated what they, rather than the headlines, said). If this was mostly Obama, then we might find ourselves in a reversed stuation four years from now, where polls with tighter likely voter screens are correct....but the Republicans should play it safe and proceed on the assumption that the turn-out situation won't change, and no longer assume a substantial difference between polls of registered voters and election outcomes.

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Any particular time slot? You may understand that we're not exactly in the mood to subject ourselves to 30 minutes of Democratic gloating right now....

Without watching, here's my take on Nate Silver; he was right (and more importantly, so were folks at PPP and Marist). This indicates that polling (and exit polling) have vastly improved since 2004, and the traditional Democratic/Republican turn-out gap no longer exists (we'll need to wait until 2016 to determine whether that's structural or linked closely to Obama's appeal-I've recently heard that Obama's own campaign team thinks its the latter, but I have not yet investigated what they, rather than the headlines, said). If this was mostly Obama, then we might find ourselves in a reversed stuation four years from now, where polls with tighter likely voter screens are correct....but the Republicans should play it safe and proceed on the assumption that the turn-out situation won't change, and no longer assume a substantial difference between polls of registered voters and election outcomes.
    really?!?!

immigration was a very big issues and obamas appeal came from his policies

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by gasoline View Post
    really?!?!

immigration was a very big issues and obamas appeal came from his policies
    ....and just the other day I was lambasted for allegedly assuming that illegal immigration policies were the primary factor behind hispanic support for Obama.

I agree that Obama's illegal immigration policies (as well as the rhetoric espoused by many Republicans on the issue, such as during the Republican debates when Rick Perry was skewered for his moderation on the issue) was a large factor behind Obama's hispanic support.....I recently said as much on the thread regarding the demographic profile of the United States in 2050. I don't think that's the biggest reason hispanics favored Obama, but I do think a hard-line on illegal immigration is what costs the Republicans enough hispanic voters to lose the election despite a 59% edge among 'white' voters.