User Tag List

View Poll Results: How will the popular vote and electoral college be split?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Obama wins both.

17 54.84%
  • Romney wins both.

2 6.45%
  • Obama wins the electoral college and Romney wins the popular vote.

11 35.48%
  • Romney wins the electoral college and Obama wins the popular vote.

1 3.23%
First 233132333435 Last

Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    The problem is that they think they are putting the country above party, and undermining the President's work is the way to combat his misdirection. But of course to everyone else, it looks like ignorant, egotistical, hard headedness.
    This sort of belief is the quintessential form of egotistical hardheadedness.

Do you really believe that people will go around saying, "I want to screw up the country so that I will be proven right"?

"I will sabotage my elected leader who I think is leading the wrong direction" is the closest anyone who doesn't explicitly believe themselves to be evil will come to stating the former. It is the result of subconsciously thinking "I want to screw things up, so the I will be proven right," while still wanting to see oneself as a semi-decent human being.

People need to learn how to "Disagree and Commit."

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

@Jennifer Yeah, that's how Kucinich lost his seat.

amen @ygolo
    Last edited by PuddleRiver; 11-07-2012 at 03:20 PM. Reason: i'm late, i'm late
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Sitting in muddy water, Isn't such a bad life
    If it ends after the first time

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Better than anything I had contemplated, Democrats make a net gain of 2 seats in the senate.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I have not investigated this particular claim I'm about to mention, but I saw a national-level activist describe how areas were rezoned by the Tea Party pubs after the 2010 census in order to ensure that they would maintain their seats / have better control in this election, and that they would have lost seats (kind of how we saw Michele Bachmann almost lose hers, plus another who did lose a seat) if the rezoning had not occurred.

IOW, the House would have been smacked up a bit more toward Dem if the rezoning hadn't been done.
    Yarp. 2010 was gerrymandering time and the Republicans were control for the most part, particularly in the big swing states.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    It should be noted that the Dems gained seats in the Senate, and it looks like the they will gain seats in the House too (though the Reps will still control the House).

Though still greatly divided, I think the majority blamed Congress more for the dysfunction than the president. Hopefully, this is enough to stop the "No compromise" rhetoric. Try _something_ already.

I saw the debt ceiling debacle as a hostage attempt by the Republicans. If we have a repeat of that regarding the fiscal cliff, then the Republicans may just created another Democrat.

To me, the Republicans have to show that they care more about the well being of the nation than being proven right. That they value truth over ideology. That they will do what works rather than what insisting only what they believe. That they will actually put country above party. Because, I think it has been the opposite for the last 4 years.

Thankfully the situation is reversed this time. The bush tax cuts will auto-expire UNLESS congress acts. I think Obama will play chicken with the fiscal cliff until the republicans agree to letting the tax cuts renew for all BUT the top 2%
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Florida...

MBTI
    INTP

This sort of belief is the quintessential form of egotistical hardheadedness.

Do you really believe that people will go around saying, "I want to screw up the country so that I will be proven right"?

"I will sabotage my elected leader who I think is leading the wrong direction" is the closest anyone who doesn't explicitly believe themselves to be evil will come to stating the former. It is the result of subconsciously thinking "I want to screw things up, so the I will be proven right," while still wanting to see oneself as a semi-decent human being.
    So let me get this straight....if Romney had won and Harry Reid constantly prevented him from implementing his 'tea party agenda' (such as defunding Obamacare in conjunction with a Republican House), would you believe it was motivated primarily by subconscious narcissism or primarily by principle and/or constituent demand? In other words, I'm asking whether your harsh judgement toward legislative gridlock through obstruction would be applied consistently, or only toward representatives opposing agendas that you simply can't imagine any reasonable, well-meaning person would be so strongly against?

Because I think its attitudes like the last which have made our national polarization become so dire in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    So let me get this straight....if Romney had won and Harry Reid constantly prevented him from implementing his 'tea party agenda' (such as defunding Obamacare in conjunction with a Republican House), would you believe it was motivated primarily by subconscious narcissism or primarily by principle and/or constituent demand? In other words, I'm asking whether your harsh judgement toward legislative gridlock through obstruction would be applied consistently, or only toward representatives opposing agendas that you simply can't imagine any reasonable, well-meaning person would be so strongly against?

Because I think its attitudes like the last which have made our national polarization become so dire in recent years.
    If Harry Reid had launched his efforts with the same sort of rhetoric. "There will be no compromise regarding Obamacare". "We want this president to fail". Then yes, I would ascribe the same sort of ideology-before-truth, party-before-nation, motives to Harry Reid as well. Subconscious whatever you want to call it.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INTP

If Harry Reid had launched his efforts with the same sort of rhetoric. "There will be no compromise regarding Obamacare". "We want this president to fail". Then yes, I would ascribe the same sort of ideology-before-truth, party-before-nation, motives to Harry Reid as well. Subconscious whatever you want to call it.
    Fair enough, then; fwiw, even I was discomforted by (almost certainly hyperbolic) claims by Republicans that they wouldn't accept tax increases, even if met with four times the amount in spending cuts (but then, my red lines are for Constitutional, not spending, issues).

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Nice article about Nate Silver, since he called all 50 states correctly, while going against the conventional pundit wisdom of the time.
    The push-back against Silver's success has already started. I've read articles saying anyone could have done what he did by averaging the polls or that he's only correct because the polls were correct Of course, he himself would agree that what he did wasn't magical to many statistically-inclined people, but what I find funny is that the people who criticized him for his predictions earlier, i.e the ones who put him on centre-stage, are the same ones who are poo-pooing his well-deserved fame.

I think one lesson to be learned in this election is the mis-understanding and misreporting of margin of error. The assumption by most media is that the race is a toss-up because the polls show a lead within the margin of error. That might be true if you have one poll showing an Obama lead within the margin or 10 polls showing 5 leads each for Obama and Romney. But if you have 10 polls and 9 are showing Obama leading by 1 point and the other poll is Rassmussen, well I think you're screwed...

Edit : Read the article linked and I was expecting his office to be in his mom's basement
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell