User Tag List

View Poll Results: How will the popular vote and electoral college be split?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Obama wins both.

17 54.84%
  • Romney wins both.

2 6.45%
  • Obama wins the electoral college and Romney wins the popular vote.

11 35.48%
  • Romney wins the electoral college and Obama wins the popular vote.

1 3.23%
First 21293031323341 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Do you know why Clinton was able to work with a Republican congress and get shit done? Because he moved to the center after losing the mid-terms in 1994. Obama refused to do that, and was at least as stubborn and uncompromising as the Republicans throughout any and all negotiations, as Bob Woodward documented.

We'll see....its still unpopular, and its more likely that there will be at least two more years of stop-gap budgets (and increasing deficits) before the issue is the focus of yet another mid-term election, in the meantime running up pointless costs until a bipartisan solution is reached.
    I don't follow American politics that closely, but my impression was that the Republicans kept blocking moves to fix the economy because they knew it was their best hope of winning these elections. They could say that he was incapable of fixing the economy and if he protested that they were blocking him from doing so they could use that against him too: if he were a better president he could somehow overcome their intransigence. Even if he'd attempted to adopt their positions they probably would've blocked him over some pretext or other. Didn't that actually happen a number of times?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    I don't follow American politics that closely, but my impression was that the Republicans kept blocking moves to fix the economy because they knew it was their best hope of winning these elections.

Even if he'd attempted to adopt their positions they probably would've blocked him over some pretext or other. Didn't that actually happen a number of times?
    That's certainly the Democratic narrative, anyway....

What times were those?

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    That's certainly the Democratic narrative, anyway....

What times were those?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N86FadHSsUY
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2085622.html

"No Compromise" is the theme song of the Republicans...and I picked the videos that the Republicans think show them in a good light.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INTP

How would tax increases (not on the middle class, of course, even though a European-level social welfare state kinda requires them....at least until there are too many dependents per worker, and cutbacks have to be made) fix the economy if the (temporary) revenue increases are used for unsustainable social programs or jobless 'stimulus' spending rather than deficit reduction and job growth? It didn't seem to work while the Democrats had a super-majority....in fact, the unemployment rate rose to higher levels than the administration warned would happen without the stimulus. Its almost as if the Republicans had reason to think Obama's agenda would not actually fix the economy....

And yet Boehner went out on a limb, at great political risk, to reach just such a compromise, only to be screwed over by Obama at the last minute....

Btw, how many Democrats, much less Republicans, actually voted in favor of any of Obama's budget proposals over the past two years? Seems like those dastardly Republicans weren't the only ones keeping him from 'fixing' the economy.

Edit: incidentally, I'm in favor of higher income tax increases under current circumstances....so long as it includes the middle class (where most of the aggregate money is), is accompanied by strategic coporate tax cuts and tax breaks on small-business (so that jobs and economic growth are not threatened), and new social programs with exponentially increasing costs are put on the back-burner until the economy actually IS fixed (at which time actual bipartisan solutions can be explored).

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by gasoline View Post
    uhm no, thats the reason why he lost
    I know it is. The newscaster just reminded me how insane I find Republican viewpoints.

FigerPuppet

Wow.. While Obama winning is good news, the best news is without doubt that Colorado and Washington have legalized marijuana.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    Well, on another note... Bring on the Israel-Iran war. Not that any democrats care about Jews anyway.
    Are you actually trying to be entertaining?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by SmileyMan View Post
    the best news is without doubt that Colorado and Washington have legalized marijuana.
    Well, I agree that's good news, at least.

FigerPuppet

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Are you actually trying to be entertaining?
    No, unfortunately he's not.

My biggest fear is that given the chance Obama will give the American people exactly what they want and the desires of the American people are mostly petty and self-serving.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it