User Tag List

View Poll Results: How will the popular vote and electoral college be split?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Obama wins both.

17 54.84%
  • Romney wins both.

2 6.45%
  • Obama wins the electoral college and Romney wins the popular vote.

11 35.48%
  • Romney wins the electoral college and Obama wins the popular vote.

1 3.23%
First 1234513 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Are you suggesting that conservative voters are THAT pathetic? That they would just go by the first round to judge whether or not their candidate can throw a punch, even if he fails in the next two rounds?
    Conservative voters were already voting for Romney (i.e. anybody but Obama); its the swing voters, unhappy with Obama but unsure about Romney, who changed their mind after the first debate.

Also, while Obama was credited with an overall edge in the next two debates, they were fairly close overall, and Romney even came out ahead (by wide margins) on the economy, according to instant polls.

As for predictions, I have none; the race is simply too close to predict at this point, particularly in light of highly divergent polls. It all comes down to the partisan breakdown of voters, either nationally or state-by-state; if Democrats fail to match the atypical 2008 results, then Romney's lead among Independents and white voters will carry the day. If the hopes of Democratic strategists are correct and there are substantially more minority voters this year than in 2008 (pretty much the only way for the Democrats to match the 2008 partisan electorate), then Obama wins.

MBTI
    FREE

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Conservative voters were already voting for Romney (i.e. anybody but Obama); its the swing voters, unhappy with Obama but unsure about Romney, who changed their mind after the first debate.

Also, while Obama was credited with an overall edge in the next two debates, they were fairly close overall, and Romney even came out ahead (by wide margins) on the economy, according to instant polls.

As for predictions, I have none; the race is simply too close to predict at this point, particularly in light of highly divergent polls. It all comes down to the partisan breakdown of voters, either nationally or state-by-state; if Democrats fail to match the atypical 2008 results, then Romney's lead among Independents and white voters will carry the day. If the hopes of Democratic strategists are correct and there are substantially more minority voters this year than in 2008 (pretty much the only way for the Democrats to match the 2008 partisan electorate), then Obama wins.
    From your wording it is clear that you think Romney will win the election. Just be straight about it and vote in the poll. I mean c'mon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    From your wording it is clear that you think Romney will win the election. Just be straight about it and vote in the poll. I mean c'mon.
    I can't say with any confidence that the hopes of Democratic strategists are false, though 'predictions' would certainly be a far more nuetral term than 'hopes', which as you correctly note indicates a bias toward predicting a Romney victory.....unfortunately, I'm aware that its a bias I strongly want to believe, which ironically makes me more cautious about embracing it-especially since the polls have been all over the place on this very issue.

As for 'atypical', that's simply a recognition that 2008 was an outlier in terms of the partisan breakdown of the electorate as far as modern Presidential elections are concerned, and as such its an appropriately nuetral term.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Yes. Because women are always the safest whenever a full-scale social revolt is on hand and people are looting in the streets and there are roving packs of teenage males running around.

Even the TV show Revolutions figured this out.
    Nah, I was coming to think that the revolutions I was thinking about is that there will be a revolt, but the revolt will quickly turn in to a full-scale 24/7 national guard policing their respective states from getting out of control, or at least the most problematic areas. For the area's where the NG can't handle, there will be more self-policing. If those people policing your place turn out being like Golden Dawn revolutionaries, than good luck with you.

For the groups that are for and against revolution, both will beef up military by conscripting all "healthy" men into the force as the first thing that occur. Some of them will flee from conscription (like Romney.) If a full bloody war does occur, we'd be the first to die.

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

Obama to lose popular vote but win electoral college. Falcarius can't see Romney winning Ohio, Iowa and Wisconsin. Falcarius thinks Electoral college will end up 275 to 263 for Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

MBTI
    xxTP

Romney will win, faith in FREEDOM i.e. christian western free market democratic family-based society, will be restored. The "progressives", - soil-less, bloodless, leftist pariahs, ragged, roaming, outcast vagabonds that they are, - will perish in the very flames of hell as the full wrath of righteous christendom is unleashed on them. FUCK YEAH!

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    I haven't voted in the poll yet because I still see it as too close to call. Too confusing. And yes, it really matters who votes.

I do have to say, the minority drumbeaters are BANGING that drum hard. Michael Baysden (popular black radio show host) has been pushing his audience for weeks/months to get out and even vote early, trying to undo any damage by Obama's support for gay marriage, reinforcing how disillusionment with Obama's first term is no reason to let a less-sympathetic leader (Romney) come into power, etc. And here in Maryland, a lot of my friends (who are Democratic) have already voted in the first few days of voting, since we have an early vote here.

I really just don't have any idea. And we're down to maybe 15% of the states mattering at this point, if the rest go as comfortably projected.

Still, I feel I need to share this public service message with you guys who have decided to support the Zomney apocalypse. I know you all respect Joss Whedon of Avenger's fame. Do you really want to see the country overrun by Spam-eating zombie monsters? I am sure you do not. Think about the children!

Ah. Satire. The best part of any election. The actual ads are usually just boring.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

You guys are hilarious
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    I think Obama will take both but it'll be a squeaker
    I agree. When people are pushed into a corner with indecision, familiarity is a safe refuge.

MBTI
    INTP

You know, not to be crass, but its occured to me that the hurricane makes the third option more likely, in the event that Obama wins the electoral college; it won't impact the electoral results in affected states, but it will probably depress turn-out in those states (which are solidly in the blue column), thereby decreasing Obama's percentage of the popular vote.

Edit: if Northern Virginia was hit (either by the storm itself or by power failures), it could affect the electoral college as well.