User Tag List

View Poll Results: How will the popular vote and electoral college be split?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Obama wins both.

17 54.84%
  • Romney wins both.

2 6.45%
  • Obama wins the electoral college and Romney wins the popular vote.

11 35.48%
  • Romney wins the electoral college and Obama wins the popular vote.

1 3.23%
First 5131415161725 Last

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Election day should absolutely be a federal holiday.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Oops. Election is over, guys.

The Carolina Panthers beat the Redskins in Washington on Sunday, which should translate into a win for Mitt Romney on Election Day, if history is any indication.

How do we figure? It's the remarkably accurate Redskins Rule that forecasts the result of presidential elections.

Here's what the Redskins Rule means: If the Redskins win their last home game before the presidential election, then the incumbent party retains the White House. If the Redskins lose, then the incumbent party is voted out.

The Redskins Rule has been correct 17 of 18 times.

The Panthers, who entered Sunday with a five-game losing streak, won 21-13 at FedEx Field thanks in part to four sacks of Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III...

http://www.thepostgame.com/features/...t-obama-romney
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Oops. Election is over, guys.
    I wonder who the first person to observe this was.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Wind-Up Rex View Post
    I wonder who the first person to observe this was.
    I don't know, I first heard about it from Cracked.com:
    http://www.cracked.com/article_20139...-election.html

Edit: apparently, its somebody named Steve Hirdt

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

The prediction markets at Intrade now have Obama winning with a 72.3% chance. At this point I'll be surprised if there is even a recount. Looks like Obama has it. (I guess I'll have to wait til tonight to see if I'm wrong.)

http://www.intrade.com/v4/markets/co...tractId=743474
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Well, tbh, based on your recent posts, I figure you're gunna completely disagree with this, but I think there should be voter ID laws.
    Last time I walked in to vote and flashed my ID, and they told me I didn't need to, I was like

I also hadn't realized that early voting was so widespread and lasted for so long.

I don't think that should be the case; opens the election up for too much fraud.

Polls open for weeks and no ID required... you gotta be fucking kidding me.

That's gotta be the worst-designed system for preventing voter fraud.
    I had to show my ID and voters registration card. They found me on a big list, checked my card and ID and crossed me off. I don't really see how proving that you are a registered voter and you are who you say you are is suddenly making it a privilege, infringing on anyone or placing the burden of proof on the voter. If that were the case, why bother having people register to vote in the first place?
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    I had to show my ID and voters registration card. They found me on a big list, checked my card and ID and crossed me off. I don't really see how proving that you are a registered voter and you are who you say you are is suddenly making it a privilege, infringing on anyone or placing the burden of proof on the voter. If that were the case, why bother having people register to vote in the first place?
    Why did the US have voter registration before there were modern IDs? It clearly served some purpose otherwise they wouldn't have done it.

I think the issue many Democrats have with voter ID laws is that Republicans will use it as a tool for voter intimidation and to keep certain legitimate voters from voting.

My issue with it (beyond the fact that I don't trust any political party to play fair) is that some Americans don't have documentation to prove that they're Americans, and I'm not talking about immigrants. I'm talking about people born in rural areas where many births didn't take place in a hospital. There are Americans living today who don't have birth certificates. I know that sounds crazy in a time when we have iPhones constantly recording our location, but it's the truth. That's why I want reasonable exceptions put in place for those people.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

I went to vote thinking it was gonna take an hour and I'd be late for work but I was in and out in 5 minutes. and no id check. I live in an extremely liberal precinct though so I feel like it doesn't matter all that much.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Why did the US have voter registration before there were modern IDs? It clearly served some purpose otherwise they wouldn't have done it.

I think the issue many Democrats have with voter ID laws is that Republicans will use it as a tool for voter intimidation and to keep certain legitimate voters from voting.

My issue with it (beyond the fact that I don't trust any political party to play fair) is that some Americans don't have documentation to prove that they're Americans, and I'm not talking about immigrants. I'm talking about people born in rural areas where many births didn't take place in a hospital. There are Americans living today who don't have birth certificates. I know that sounds crazy in a time when we have iPhones constantly recording our location, but it's the truth. That's why I want reasonable exceptions put in place for those people.
    I understand what you are saying. I mean, I can be furious that I couldn't get my drivers license changed when I got married without documentation for every single step of my life. From birth to right now. My marriage license was NOT enough. Should there be exceptions for me and all women? I need my ID to work, to drive, to take my kids to the ER (and some doctors) to write the rare check...etc. How many of these people without birth certificates or proof of identity of any kind do you believe there are? Maybe we should look at that problem instead of registered voters. For the record, I agree with you about any political party's ability to play fair.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    I understand what you are saying. I mean, I can be furious that I couldn't get my drivers license changed when I got married without documentation for every single step of my life. From birth to right now. My marriage license was NOT enough. Should there be exceptions for me and all women? I need my ID to work, to drive, to take my kids to the ER (and some doctors) to write the rare check...etc. How many of these people without birth certificates or proof of identity of any kind do you believe there are? Maybe we should look at that problem instead of registered voters. For the record, I agree with you about any political party's inability to play fair.
    I don't know how many there are. I don't think there's a simple solution to this problem. I find myself agreeing with many arguments presented by both sides.

According to the Brennan Center for Justice, 11% of eligible voters do not have government issued photo IDs. I know that's not birth certificates, but this statistic is probably more relevant to the issue.

http://www.brennancenter.org/content...egory/voter_id
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."