User Tag List

First 2101112

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Capitalism needs charitability as the market can not fulfil all functions and needs, it is an incomplete picture
    Then it is just as I said: Capitalism does not need charitability, it creates the need for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I dont think that Smith was "wrong", his position was virtually the same as Marx when it comes to the question of the vagaries of "human nature" they were both enlightenment humanists.

I'm not sure how you're interpreting the invisible hand, it was a point about spontaneous order, repeated by Hayek and Marx would not have argued with that. Although he would have suggested that the spontaneous order had more to do with class struggles than either organicism and tradition (conservatism) or individuality and innovation (liberalism).

Smith thought that benevolence arose from the manner in which markets could harness individual self-interest or selfishness for the common good, which is fine so far as it goes but does not take account of how class struggles will eschew the theory or practice.
    My interpretation is much the same as this one.

Smith opens Moral Sentiments thus:
    How selfish soever man may be supposed, there are evidently some principles in his nature, which interest him in the fortunes of others, and render their happiness necessary to him, though he derives nothing from it, except the pleasure of seeing it.
    In this assumption he was hopelessly optimistic, and wrong. There are plenty of people who derive no such pleasure, and indeed, sociopaths triumph under capitalism. Hence, the corrupt financial practices which have directly led to the current global recession.

Marx was more cynical about human nature and accurately predicted that capitalism would always devour itself. Which so far, has been repeatedly born out by experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    This is pretty funny, given your next comments ...

yeah, I don't think you're NP.
    You might like this though...

Wut?
    This has nothing whatsoever to do with evolutionary or sociological pressures.
    Most women prefer sex with an experienced man because it's (usually) more pleasurable (for obvious reasons). However, few women would consider paying for that experience. Most well-adjusted/ sexually competent men prefer sex with a (somewhat) experienced woman for similar reasons. Since this transaction is purely about pleasure (and not mate selection), this is the only factor to consider. Only inexperienced/insecure/sexually incompetent men desire virgins. Unless having your partner bleed/be in pain and not have a good time is necessary for sexual enjoyment. (In which case, all those labels still apply.). But we are talking about men who have to pay for sex. So it's unsurprising. Let's not pretend this is "normal" or adaptive behaviour though.

That's a weak response. If you meant "The Theory of Moral Sentiments", the only thing that links those books is the author. Try harder.
    Or don't.
    wrong. bored now.

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    Only inexperienced/insecure/sexually incompetent men desire virgins. Unless having your partner bleed/be in pain and not have a good time is necessary for sexual enjoyment. (In which case, all those labels still apply.). But we are talking about men who have to pay for sex. So it's unsurprising. Let's not pretend this is "normal" or adaptive behaviour though.

That's a weak response. If you meant "The Theory of Moral Sentiments", the only thing that links those books is the author. Try harder.
    Or don't.
    right from a 'this is my opinion' perspective. It is an opinion I by the way share.
    Wrong based on how the world actually works from a statistical perspective.

You're mixing your opinion and facts. Who you want to be condescending to is irrelevant to the topic.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    wrong. bored now.
    right from a 'this is my opinion' perspective. It is an opinion I by the way share.
    Wrong based on how the world actually works from a statistical perspective.

You're mixing your opinion and facts. Who you want to be condescending to is irrelevant to the topic.
    Put up or shut up. You provide no facts, only your own opinion, which doesn't carry the weight you seem to think it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.