User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    According to Corey Feldman, a similar dynamic is in play in Hollywood....I'm not saying I believe or disbelieve him, but considering the support Roman Polanski recieves, I wouldn't be very surprised if its true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised either. I think probably anywhere you get an insular, self-serving community of privileged people, there's likely to be some kind of shenanigans going on that they want to keep covered up.
    Truth. I could never understand why sooooo many people made, and continue to make, excuses for Roman Polanski. I don't give a shit how brilliant you think his work is! This does have parallels to that and I've never heard of Jimmy Savile until this thread.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Truth. I could never understand why sooooo many people made, and continue to make, excuses for Roman Polanski. I don't give a shit how brilliant you think his work is! This does have parallels to that and I've never heard of Jimmy Savile until this thread.
    I think people also made excuses for Roman Polanski because they felt sorry for him because his wife and unborn child were killed by the Manson family, and they're not accustomed to holding two opposing ideas in their minds at the same time (e.g. he can be a victim AND a perpetrator at different times or in different contexts).

I think people also made excuses for Roman Polanski because they felt sorry for him because his wife and unborn child were killed by the Manson family, and they're not accustomed to holding two opposing ideas in their minds at the same time (e.g. he can be a victim AND a perpetrator at different times or in different contexts).
    Good point. I think the public at large really does struggle with character incongruity.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    According to Corey Feldman, a similar dynamic is in play in Hollywood....I'm not saying I believe or disbelieve him, but considering the support Roman Polanski recieves, I wouldn't be very surprised if its true.
    It's amazing the stuff that goes on which people don't know about.

Recently the PlayStation 3 was hacked wide open by a few guys that managed to find the encryption key or whatever, so all lockout codes can be bypassed. This means that Sony has basically no way to stop piracy on the PS3 now. They can't make any of the existing PS 3 consoles secure since any updates will have to use the old key, so even if they attempt to make a new one, hackers will just decode it with the old key and obtain the new one.

The guys who first found this had the knowledge for a long time but they were not going to make it public, but another hacker group got hold of it and tried to use it to sell software and firmware for the PS3 and make money off it, but the guys who originally discovered the key were not having that so they felt forced to release it publicly to prevent anyone from trying to sell it.

What do people really know that they keep secret until it comes out?

MBTI
    INTP

Thank you, Ivy. A good post.

I had expected someone would mention Polanski in this context.
    His deed was deplorable. There is no excuse.
    However.

What is to be said of people who fail to see the difference between Roman Polanski and Jimmy Savile?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

nobody did anything to stop him except tell children in hospitals to feign sleep when he visited.
    From the context I can't be sure if that's to protect them from abuse...or facilitate it.

Either way it's beyond chilling.
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    What is to be said of people who fail to see the difference between Roman Polanski and Jimmy Savile?
    13 y/o girls everywhere probably couldn't tell the difference...

MBTI
    xxTP

I haven't followed the case too closely. I was out on the night of the Panorama doc. But the devils advocate in me says innocent until proven guilty and that trial by television of a dead man is not very honorable. Also that a lot of the claims may be compensation induced - it's quite strange that so many now claim it once he's dead, but no-one did while he was alive.

Also "paedophile" (the correct spelling) is someone who is attracted to pre-pubescent humans, not someone who had sex with an underage but sexually developed girl. That would be a sex offender.

Otherwise someone hwo in Britain has sex with a 16 y/o, in another country is a paedophile because the legal age is 18.

Hyperbole + hysteria = lynch mob.

Ughhhhh.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Che Parla View Post
    I haven't followed the case too closely. I was out on the night of the Panorama doc. But the devils advocate in me says innocent until proven guilty and that trial by television of a dead man is not very honorable. Also that a lot of the claims may be compensation induced - it's quite strange that so many now claim it once he's dead, but no-one did while he was alive.

Also "paedophile" (the correct spelling) is someone who is attracted to pre-pubescent humans, not someone who had sex with an underage but sexually developed girl. That would be a sex offender.

Otherwise someone hwo in Britain has sex with a 16 y/o, in another country is a paedophile because the legal age is 18.

Hyperbole + hysteria = lynch mob.
    1. Either spelling is permissible and I prefer mine.

2. Charges were brought against him in 2009, but were not pursued.

3. It didn't come to light when he was alive because he payed people off, threatened or blackmailed them. (And also because of people like you who prefer to prejudge the victims rather than the perpetrators of sexual assault.)

4. You seem to be suggesting that "sex offender" is a less grave offense than being sexually attracted to children. A sex "offender" is someone guilty of a sex crime. A pedophile may not be (unless we're counting thought crimes).

5. Ignorance + thoughtlessness = your post