User Tag List

First 1234 Last

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

A feeble attempt by the Democrats to somehow gain the whitehouse and possibly seats. It'll still fail miserably, since they are little more than a comedy act at this point.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Kucinich unveiled a list of alleged illegal and improper acts by Bush, including war crimes.
    This is all just a bit of pre-election political theater, the ruling class playing good cop/bad cop for the proles. Nothing will change; nothing has changed.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    This is all just a bit of pre-election political theater, the ruling class playing good cop/bad cop for the proles. Nothing will change; nothing has changed.
    Shhhh! The show is about to start!!!
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    TiSe

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticus View Post
    All true, but a waste of time. The Rs control the House. Bush will never be impeached.
    The last time I looked Nancy Pelosi was still Speaker, ergo the Democrats control the House. It is my understanding that they will proceed on the matter in some shape or fashion starting next week.

They may not be able to impeach him (them) as a sitting President, but they can go after him even afterwards and Executive Privilege cannot be enacted.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Shhhh! The show is about to start!!!
    I have a prediction for you: The US will maintain a military presence in Iraq for the rest of our lifetimes. If the Dems win the election they'll make a lot of noise and show about bringing the troops home, and they probably will bring a big fraction of them home, but the Green Zone or something like it will remain there and become a regular tour of duty for the US military, like Frankfurt or Okinawa or Seoul.

That's because, regardless of party posturing about the war, from a game theory point of view it's valuable for us to have our own base in the middle east... and so we will do so, just like we kept Guantanamo Bay during the administrations of Carter and Clinton.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

It's just a charge.

Given the timing of the whole thing, it sounds like a publicity stunt for Kucinich, but the charges are pretty fucking crazy. From the portion I heard, the CIA and Bush admin are funding terrorist regimes against Iran, and at the same time trying to use phony charges of terrorism to kick ass and protect its interests in the Middle East.
    I don't think the idea that the US funded terrorist organizations is crazy, at all. We probably have. But this government, regardless of who is in power, will never make such an admission, at least not until it's decades in the past (like the CIA admission of the overthrow of the Guatemalan government in the 50s). While similar accusations are often made, for a presiding administration to openly admit something like that...I don't think Congress would let it happen, regardless of party affiliation. It would be too damaging to the country.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I don't think the idea that the US funded terrorist organizations is crazy, at all. We probably have.
    I was using the word "crazy" in the sense that the behavior is atrocious rather than unbelievable.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I have a prediction for you: The US will maintain a military presence in Iraq for the rest of our lifetimes. If the Dems win the election they'll make a lot of noise and show about bringing the troops home, and they probably will bring a big fraction of them home, but the Green Zone or something like it will remain there and become a regular tour of duty for the US military, like Frankfurt or Okinawa or Seoul.

That's because, regardless of party posturing about the war, from a game theory point of view it's valuable for us to have our own base in the middle east... and so we will do so, just like we kept Guantanamo Bay during the administrations of Carter and Clinton.

Yes, I agree.

Read the PNAC document: Rebuilding American's Defenses (Sept 2000) folks, it is an eye opener. They spell it all out. Can't say they didn't tell us!

MBTI
    INTJ

I was using the word "crazy" in the sense that the behavior is atrocious rather than unbelievable.
    How do you think unconventional warfare works? Funding "terrorists" isn't anything new. Try Colombia, Laos, Nicaragua, Israel, Afghanistan, Palestine via Israel, etc. There is very little (if any) difference between militant guerilla groups and terrorist organizations. Really, the only difference between guerilla warfare and terrorism is the purposeful targeting of civilians. But hey, it worked for Israel.

Using local forces to destabilize a region to keep the rulers we like in power is nothing new for the U.S., whether its correct or not. It may make no sense in many cases, but Bush is hardly the first to do it.

Plus, impeaching Bush would accomplish absolutely nothing.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    How do you think unconventional warfare works? Funding "terrorists" isn't anything new. Try Colombia, Laos, Nicaragua, Israel, Afghanistan, Palestine via Israel, etc. There is very little (if any) difference between militant guerilla groups and terrorist organizations. Really, the only difference between guerilla warfare and terrorism is the purposeful targeting of civilians. But hey, it worked for Israel.

Using local forces to destabilize a region to keep the rulers we like in power is nothing new for the U.S., whether its correct or not. It may make no sense in many cases, but Bush is hardly the first to do it.

Plus, impeaching Bush would accomplish absolutely nothing.
    Without conceding that your facts are even correct, how does anything you said justify the atrociousness of the act or the hypocrisy in decrying terrorism, yet actively participating in it?