User Tag List

First 3456 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Typoz View Post
    Unless it was a serious group about hatred of pregnant women for whatever reason, it's a metaphor. And clubbing, etc. that you've mentioned says that it's not that kind of group.
    Clubbing? Wtf? I have no idea what you're talking about. Did you even read the article?

Other Facebook pages, with fans ranging from the tens to the hundreds of thousand, however, do. For example, "[Satire] Kicking a slut in the vagina and losing your foot inside" is still up and does not specify age of slut to kick and, as Cath Elliot pointed out in the Guardian last year, if "[Humor] Roses are red, violets are blue... I've got a knife, get in the van (and multiple variations thereof), is not "hateful, threatening or gratuitously violent, I don't for the life of me know what is." "Roses are red" is not controversial however, it's just plain [Humor], like these side-splittingly clever pages and communities: "Seeing a Pregnant Woman and Wanting to Punch Her In the Face" (47K); I just want to get drunk and punch the slut in the face; or, accompanied by a photo of a woman down on her knees, hair gripped in a man's hand..."got a sec you slut, Hit the deck you mut (sic)" (Note: this group appears to have been removed since the initial research for this post). "I'd Punch You if You Were a Woman" ("This is a Page fully dedicated to beating woman unmercifully! Haha kidding of course.") Then there's You are a Slut Get Hit by a Car and last but not least, in the less than 5 minute survey that I just undertook using search terms like "woman," "hit," "slut," and "punch," is the whole "Shut the F**k Up and Make Me a Sandwich" meme -- punctuated occasionally by hilarious photos of women bleeding and with blackened eyes and bruises.
    Um.. Yeah that's some funky "metaphors" right there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    Clubbing? Wtf? I have no idea what you're talking about. Did you even read the article?
    Nope, I just went with what you've given me in one of your posts.

This quote, though, is quite... horror-ish? Who joins those groups.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

"Hundreds of thousands" of metaphor lovers, presumably.

MBTI
    intp

That's not the point. People killed each other before they had guns... or planes to fly into buildings, so what do you do? Arm your enemy? Only if you're an idiot.
    I wasn't aware that the internet was going around shooting people or destroying buildings. This kind of hyperbole and emoting really has no place in a rational discussion.

Anyway, in keeping with your analogy, to censor the internet is to make all guns fire elastic bands, or ensure that no plane has enough mass to do damage on the ground. It stops any harm that could be used with the tool, but also renders it useless in the process. I have nothing against enforcing existing laws against libel or harassment, but outright censorship of the internet because people might use it to say mean things is preposterous.

What strange logic, anyway. Hate speech is only chilling when it's driven underground? When it's the norm and done with an "ironic" wink, it's just fine and dandy? And you're calling hate perps a "minority group" now are you? Just....bizarre.
    I'm afraid that you misread what I wrote. Censorship has a chilling effect toward legal but unusual behaviour. For instance, people who have unusual sexual fetishes, or who enjoy crude humor. Everyone in the world does not have tastes that conform to prime-time television, and these outliers suffer when their interests are deemed unacceptable by the rest of us.

However, is is good to have people spewing hate speech front and center. It gives the rest of us a platform for both understanding and rebutting what they have to say, and makes intervention to prevent actual harm from occurring. When these things are driven underground and not discussed, then they are also not addressed.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by dala View Post
    I wasn't aware that the internet was going around shooting people or destroying buildings. This kind of hyperbole and emoting really has no place in a rational discussion.
    You're right. Maybe I should start a Facebook page.

Anyway, in keeping with your analogy, to censor the internet is to make all guns fire elastic bands, or ensure that no plane has enough mass to do damage on the ground. It stops any harm that could be used with the tool, but also renders it useless in the process.
    Rendering guns useless? Unthinkable!
    I thought you didn't like hyperbole? So why employ it here? And not even mediated by metaphor...
    I have nothing against enforcing existing laws against libel or harassment, but outright censorship of the internet because people might use it to say mean things is preposterous.
    What about when existing laws enforce said censorship? You seem a bit confused. Or at least, your argument is.
    I'm afraid that you misread what I wrote. Censorship has a chilling effect toward legal but unusual behaviour. For instance, people who have unusual sexual fetishes, or who enjoy crude humor. Everyone in the world does not have tastes that conform to prime-time television, and these outliers suffer when their interests are deemed unacceptable by the rest of us.
    Ah. Excuse me while I go ahead and give no fucks about people who can't satisfy their "unusual" fetish of punching pregnant women in the face.

However, is is good to have people spewing hate speech front and center. It gives the rest of us a platform for both understanding and rebutting what they have to say, and makes intervention to prevent actual harm from occurring. When these things are driven underground and not discussed, then they are also not addressed.
    Why would you want to understand/rebut hate speech? What an exercise in futility. Making it socially unacceptable IS part of addressing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Typoz View Post
    If you mean something the person has told to someone else, it's still his fault. Or if the person let someone to take a picture of him say nude or in some odd pose, etc. voluntarily, it's still his fault.

Yes it is.

If you're worried about advertising companies (Google, Facebook included), just use an adblocker. I don't see the slightest problem here, unless you like ads... But if you like ads, ads tailored to your needs should be appealing to you. Personally, I've blocked any ads, popups, stats gathering systems, etc. everywhere without an exception. Main reasons - they are annoying and useless to me.

IP's available privately, to the admins. And what are they gonna do with it, hack my PC for a rude comment?
    Lol, trust me, I already have ad-block. And we are talking about people who had no part in the process having something brought into the web. The fact of the matter is, even if you have ad-block, they are still taking information about you. When you signed up for certain sites, you've agreed to essentially give people/companies free information about you. in most cases, your worth is maybe 32 cents.

IP may be available privately, but that is really not the only method to track someone. But lol, I doubt the admins would be that crazy, but if they are willing to, they can locate you near street level or at least know what city you are living in.

There are many ways to avoid this. Of which, like I said, I won't get into detail.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

All I have to say is: Bravo, Adrian Chen. Bravo, Anonymous.
    4w5 sp/sx EII

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    Lol, trust me, I already have ad-block. And we are talking about people who had no part in the process having something brought into the web. The fact of the matter is, even if you have ad-block, they are still taking information about you. When you signed up for certain sites, you've agreed to essentially give people/companies free information about you. in most cases, your worth is maybe 32 cents.

IP may be available privately, but that is really not the only method to track someone. But lol, I doubt the admins would be that crazy, but if they are willing to, they can locate you near street level or at least know what city you are living in.

There are many ways to avoid this. Of which, like I said, I won't get into detail.
    In most cases, it's the city. Rarely you can get the street name. In some smaller countries, you can't even get the city, by the way.

Anyway, that's the only thing that takes a tiny bit of what can be used to identify you. Where you click, where's your mouse, how long you stay on a page, etc., I don't see how that's harmful to you. I don't have a problem with that and I don't know why someone would.

I do get annoyed, though, when sites show information like browser version and OS to the public - why is my question. If I wanted to share something, I'd do it, and I don't want to share my OS and web browser. But again, I don't see a reason to not give this data anonymously, there's no harm done.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Related movie: Rowan Atkinson on section 5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gciegyiLYtY

I fully support Rowan Atkinson's words when it comes to freedom of speech.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    xxTP

Um.. Yeah that's some funky "metaphors" right there.
    If you look for reasons to be offended, you'll find them. I could find enough pages insulting men or other groups I belong to, if I cared enough to look for them, I'm sure. Some people enjoy feeling like a victim, hence the proliferation of identity politics (gender, race, sexuality, etc.) and class envy in the 21st century.

There is probably a psychological reason to explain it.