User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 53

  1. #11

    Default

    See reading some of those links made me a bit furious, I hate this guy, I can honestly say despite never having met him and not being likely to that I hate him, usually I'd be indifferent to people who simply seem to be dickheads online but that guy is something else. I dont actually like feeling that way because I know the guy is in all likelihood a sad asshole who would only be getting the desired response by my feeling that way. This is how trolls function and what they need to function.

    I sort of wish he'd get hit by lightening or eat a poisonous burger or something. Short of that I really would hope that people learned their history, in particular Capt. Boycott and the Irish, and shun the asshole. Let him be like Stalin or some other dictator and at the point they collapse and die not a soul is going to look near them, throw them a life line or mourn them. I hate gobshites like that.

  2. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Typoz View Post
    Okay, that's a different scenario indeed. That can get annoying. Earlier the whole school would know something, now the whole world. I wonder if posting pictures of others' without their consent is allowed by law, I've heard cases where pictures were taken down. Although, I think it's not allowed only if you're making money. But yea, I don't think posting embarrassing pictures is appropriate (if the embarrassment is cause by others), but then again, I don't think physical damage is appropriate too. Of course it depends on the level of embarrassment. Personally, I've in mind extreme cases. And anyway, if it's something you've caused by yourself, it's your fault (stupidity, lack of self-control, etc.), you shouldn't complain about it. If it's something of low degree, something that wouldn't cause a permanent damage, you shouldn't complain about it either.

    What's the point of getting the little of it if if someone wanted to, he could get to you anyway? The main reason for privacy and anonymity is the government, other reasons... Well, most of them are very unlikely (.0001%) or stupid (paranoid).
    What do you mean the main reason for privacy and anonymity is the government? What sort of a society are you living in China?

    Privacy is an individual right and isnt just about the state and the individual, you are likely to have privacy right now from your neighbours, unless you live in a glass house without drapes or curtains or blinds, you are even likely to have privacy from your parents, siblings, room mates whatever.

    In the UK at least you can be prosecuted from taking pictures or footage of people unawares, using the same to embarrass or otherwise torment is going to be prosecutable too. In the UK people have been sentences to jail time for simply posting offensive things on facebook or engaged in criminal incitement at times of crisis on social media sites.

  3. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Are you serious? Also do you have children or have you ever looked after children? I'd question your ability to if you seriously hold this view.
    So having children obviously gives your opinion more weight.

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    637

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Are you serious? Also do you have children or have you ever looked after children? I'd question your ability to if you seriously hold this view.
    You mean the fact that kids use words like fuck, shit, cock, etc. instead of what in writing would appear as space? That's what I dislike. For the reason that I saw no reason to curse (people here curse in different language, by the way, so it sounds absolutely retarded), I was even odder at high-school. The rest, most of them insert something like that every 2-3 words, and I'm not overemphasizing here. Takes trice as long to listen to what they have to say too...

  5. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tessertime View Post
    So having children obviously gives your opinion more weight.
    Is that what you read? Just want to be clear here because I'm making a judgement about your comprehension which will influence whether I think its worth my while to engage you in discussion.

  6. #16
    Emperor/Dictator kyuuei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    13,877

    Default

    I pretty much agree with the quoted. Anyone can say almost anything they want and be free to do so. And anyone else can say they're a punk for thinking that way and get away with that also. And someone can say, "Sorry, I don't hire racists" if they hear that person spouting racism out and it's not illegal. Free speech is the freedom to say anything without GOVERNMENT consequences. The government cannot arrest you, or fine you, for saying just anything. (Exceptions involving the safety of citizen lives do exist, like shouting fire in an establishment when none is there) But society can hear what you say and react as they will. And saying something online does not protect you from your own words. It isn't a magic shield--just a convenient one.

    Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    Some thoughts, concerns and tin-foil hat material from someone who admittedly hasn't read many of the articles in the OP:

    1) are trolls really that bad? Really? Or are they just a convenient excuse?
    No doubt they are used for that as well.. but I recall some pretty awful things said to mere children just because there's an anonymous screen there.. Things that have caused children to commit suicide. So, yeah, it can get bad. Its not the norm.. but it can get there.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

    Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

    In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

  7. #17
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    And if you require any further proof, read Soraya Chemaly’s nausea-inducing Huffington Post piece on “The 12-Year-Old Slut Meme and Facebook’s Misogyny Problem.” In it, she takes on Facebook’s famously blind eye to pages that intimidate and exploit underage girls, notably the “12-Year-Old Slut Memes” page that’s so chock-full of hilarity about pubes and virginity that it gives new meaning to the word “gag.” It’s the brainchild of two self-described 19-year-old males, and to get a sense of the tone, consider a post from last month declaring “Fuck all you people that had a cry and reported us because we put your slutty fucking photos up, got fucking banned from facebook for a while you cunts, had to make a new account. If you post slutty fucking shit on facebook expect your photo to end up on here, then tagged in, then ripped to shreds by 120 thousand people. Chaos will continue. Go die.” There you go, girls. Doesn’t get clearer than “go die.”

    What is it about young girls that’s so incendiary? That could make “Jailbait” for a time the second most popular search on Reddit, that would ever put the words “12-year-old” and “slut” together? This BS – this dehumanizing crap – can’t just be chalked up to the inherent budding attractiveness of youth and freshness. This goes way, way beyond that particular can of worms. I think it has a whole lot to do with just how deeply engrained the hatred of women is in our culture.

    It’s not a coincidence that it’s right around the age of 12 that a girl begins to come to an understanding of her potential for power. Not just her sexual power. But her intellectual and physical mettle as well. She’s still very much a child – a child in need of support and protection – but early adolescence is the beginning of a girl coming into her own as an independent person. With a brain and a body she’s going to control. How terrifying that is for the hateful, misogynistic jerks of the world. (And I’m not letting sabotaging, self-hating females off the hook here for their bullying and divisiveness either; they’re a huge part of the problem too.) They pick on girls because it’s easier than dealing with adult women; that’s how weak they are.

    I look at my own 12-year-old daughter and I see so much possibility in her. So much strength and wisdom and beauty. And some days, I feel like apologizing to her for everything on the Internet that doesn’t involve tiny pigs. I wish I could write off the likes of Michael Brutsch as one isolated, disturbed individual. And he’s exceptional; a king among trolls, to be sure. But he exists because there is a strong and vocal community of little creeps who are simultaneously aroused and hateful and scared to death of everything that a young girl represents. Who look at her and feel so bad about their own pathetic selves they want nothing more than to tear her down and make her feel ever worse about herself. My dear daughter, I am so sorry these morons are out there, and that you and your friends are in their cross hairs. That they don’t see you as a person but a threat.

    But I hope they’re right. I hope you and your friends grow up to be everything that scares the crap out of these idiots. I hope you all stay loud and strong and refuse to be pushed around by dirty weirdos hiding in their basements, anonymously trying put you down, rewarding each other with encouragement and bobbleheads. I hope you change the world. I hope you all can stay brave and autonomous and bullyproof and be their worst nightmare. Because they’re been trying to be yours for way too long.
    This is pretty much Facebook's attitude and why it deals with this page and assorted others by adding [Humor] to titles. As a result, according to Facebook's interpretation and adherence to its own policies, they will not take down Boobs, Breasts and Boys who love them, unless the boys are babies since they do take down photos of breastfeeding mothers. They will not take down [Controversial Humor] rape pages, but they will remove a photograph of a woman crossing the street in New York City because she is topless (legal in New York, but not the sovereign state of Facebook). Obscene being defined by Facebook as a breast not in service to a man. Maybe it's not a breast problem at all, but a nipple issue. Maybe Facebook lawyers are scared or put off by nipples. This isn't offensive. At best it is sloppy and stupid and incoherent and, at worst, overtly sexist and misogynistic.
    It's hardly surprising when you consider its origins. Boycott Facebook!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  8. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Typoz View Post
    You mean the fact that kids use words like fuck, shit, cock, etc. instead of what in writing would appear as space? That's what I dislike. For the reason that I saw no reason to curse (people here curse in different language, by the way, so it sounds absolutely retarded), I was even odder at high-school. The rest, most of them insert something like that every 2-3 words, and I'm not overemphasizing here. Takes trice as long to listen to what they have to say too...
    I'm sort of not understanding what you're meaning here, I dont believe that obscenities in daily speech arise because kids pick it up from books. Although that's a bit odd to think that.

    Most people who oppose censorship do so because they believe they will be censored themselves or something they may be interested in would be censored and they would be prevented from enjoying it, they dont think about what they would like to protect others from viewing or the possible harm it could cause if it were freely available to and viewed by them.

    Parents and carers are more likely to understand that need to protect from harm, whether its witnessing something especially violent, scary, terrifying, pornographic or otherwise transgressive of universal or familial norms and mores of thinking and acting. Why? Because they care, they're not negligent or neglectful or abusive. There's an appreciation for development stages, age appropriate messages, comprehension etc. and an awareness of the vulnerability which violation of any of those can create.

    Although to be honest I'm a little disappointed these points dont just occur to people. That I've actually got to type them out like its totally new information.

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    637

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    What do you mean the main reason for privacy and anonymity is the government? What sort of a society are you living in China?

    Privacy is an individual right and isnt just about the state and the individual, you are likely to have privacy right now from your neighbours, unless you live in a glass house without drapes or curtains or blinds, you are even likely to have privacy from your parents, siblings, room mates whatever.

    In the UK at least you can be prosecuted from taking pictures or footage of people unawares, using the same to embarrass or otherwise torment is going to be prosecutable too. In the UK people have been sentences to jail time for simply posting offensive things on facebook or engaged in criminal incitement at times of crisis on social media sites.
    I'm talking about online privacy here. When I hear "online privacy" I think of your geographical location (which is only your country and city in most cases), your IP (a bunch of numbers), your name, age, sex, etc. IF you enter it somewhere (you can use fake details, therefore it's your fault). Same goes for your email. So the only reason why you wouldn't want to give your IP and city you live in is if there'd be someone to get you (a hacker, there's a reason if you're in that situation, which is your fault) or if you do something illegal (hacking, torrenting, etc. - again, your fault).

    You're talking about offline privacy, which is a totally different matter. The first thing that comes to mind is the drones and cameras, and the other examples I've given earlier.

    As for the UK laws - that sounds like great laws.

  10. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Is that what you read? Just want to be clear here because I'm making a judgement about your comprehension which will influence whether I think its worth my while to engage you in discussion.
    Let me introduce to you an appetizer: Your attitude thus, and your attempt at trying to make me angry concerning your view of my "competence", doesn't phase me. Am I supposed to me upset here because you are questioning my level of intelligence? I suppose that would be a confict between Ti and Te, and Fe and Fi. I am actually not surprised you took that out of the woodworks; my best friend is an ENTJ, and he can be very Fi about that kind of thing when it comes to debates. It isn't about the wording, but about the person.

    The main course: Internet censorship is not predominantly the domain of singles or parents; it is a shared domain, therefore a conflict of values will occur. You are clearly in the ballpark with those of parents, thereby you will "think of the children" first without concern for what should be a universal right. You are biased.
    I can see both sides of the story, and both sides have merit. Censorship is bad, because it implies control by select individuals who can abuse such control. The internet in particular is so complex, so powerful, and such an influence in our daily lives as nothing ever has been, that to manipulate it via censorship is to control the flow of knowledge and ideas, values and expressions, etc.
    However, on the parenting side, the internet could be said to be the wild-wild-west (www) with its share of stalkers, pedophiles, trolls, etc, that can ruin a person's lives. There was a canadian girl who, earlier this month, committed suicide due to a cyber bully. She was only around 15. Because of our dependence on the internet, it can ruin us. Cyber-bullying, identify theft, and more are always a risk.
    The internet can be a cesspool, yet it can also be a symbol of hope. Unfortunately for society, leaving it as it is favors one side. Internet as an entity will be contested more than once; attempted to be censored; as not everyone favors the state it is currently in (the status quo).

Similar Threads

  1. Yet another Islamist atrocity against religious freedom and free speech...
    By lowtech redneck in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 11-13-2010, 09:01 PM
  2. Free Speech under assault in Latin America
    By lowtech redneck in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-28-2010, 10:13 PM
  3. Europe's war on free speech and its consequences
    By lowtech redneck in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 95
    Last Post: 02-08-2010, 07:07 PM
  4. Forget Big Brother: Facebook, Corporations, and the End of Free Speech
    By speculative in forum Academics and Careers
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-23-2009, 11:40 AM
  5. [INTP] INTP as internet trolls?
    By callmemigs in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: 08-15-2009, 10:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO