User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Results 61 to 70 of 162

  1. #61
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SmileyMan View Post
    It's maybe a bit sophisticated.


    Convoluted? Yes.

    Sophisticated? No.

    Horrible? Absolutely.

  2. #62
    FigerPuppet
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post


    Convoluted? Yes.

    Sophisticated? No.

    Horrible? Absolutely.
    It pains me that you cannot appreciate my attempt to redshift my brain waves in an effort to place them in a spectrum that is perceivable by average intelligences.

  3. #63
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SmileyMan View Post
    It pains me that you cannot appreciate my attempt to redshift my brain waves in an effort to place them in a spectrum that is perceivable by average intelligences.
    Perhaps if the fundamental purpose of cleaning chemicals was to kill children, I could actually believe this.

  4. #64
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Give men the option to irrevocably give up all rights and responsibilities with respect to the fetus during the time period under which an abortion can be legally performed and this isn't an issue.

    Women can abort and put children they don't want up for adoption. Men do not have that option. That is the source of this problem, inequality under the law.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  5. #65
    FigerPuppet
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Perhaps if the fundamental purpose of cleaning chemicals was to kill children, I could actually believe this.
    It is a chemical in a plastic container labelled according to one of its possible applications, which is to remove spots. Another of its applications - or rather, capability - is to look interesting enough to children that they drink it and subsequently are poisoned.

    Reproduction is the purpose of sex, just like the removal of a wine spot from a carpet is the purpose of a cleaning product, but I wouldn't want to call reproduction the fundamental purpose of sex, since most people do not stop wanting it even while they/their partner is pregnant. The purpose of the act is attributed by the people in the moment, and both people can attribute different purpose of the act in that moment - therefore this thread.

  6. #66
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    You know how, when you're looking forward to travelling to a place far away, and right before the trip, it's cancelled?
    It doesn't mean the trip won't ever happen, but if things come up, and it's better to not go, (and you have the means to not go...lol), then, why not not go? It's only best you not go...

    The converse being, he stays on the trip (doesn't go), (or if he does, he's liable, in money, which is a different area)...

    His liabilities, though, have limits, as his decisions factored into it less.

    That's what he'd be protecting...

    Whether financial liabilities or otherwise.
    I have no idea what you're talking about.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Give men the option to irrevocably give up all rights and responsibilities with respect to the fetus during the time period under which an abortion can be legally performed and this isn't an issue.
    get snipped and it's not an issue.

    Women can abort and put children they don't want up for adoption. Men do not have that option. That is the source of this problem, biological inequality under the law.
    FYP.
    If you don't like it, go figure out a way for your own body to be parasitised / jeopardised for 9 months in order to bring new life into the world.
    Otherwise, STFU. You get off lightly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  7. #67
    FigerPuppet
    Guest

    Default

    If you don't like it, go figure out a way for your own body to be parasitised / jeopardised for 9 months in order to bring new life into the world.
    Otherwise, STFU. You get off lightly.
    That is the price you pay for having complete control over the reproductive process. If you don't like it, get snipped.

  8. #68
    darkened dreams labyrinthine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    8,595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SmileyMan View Post
    That is the price you pay for having complete control over the reproductive process. If you don't like it, get snipped.
    There is often this assumption that people are not allowed to complain or express frustration. People generally do not choose which role they play in the reproductive process, so "paying a price" is imposed upon people. There is at least a third option here: do not get snipped, maintain complete control over the reproductive process, and complain about it. A person can desire to reproduce without desiring the specific role they play, so it is reasonable and honest to express frustration. Why is this not "allowed"? and who isn't "allowing" it?

    Some of the old-timey "Protestant" ethics like "don't complain" are just silly and often not entirely honest.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

  9. #69
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    get snipped and it's not an issue.
    Let's build upon your logic: Women don't need a right to abortion because they could get a hysterectomy.

    If you don't like it, go figure out a way for your own body to be parasitised / jeopardised for 9 months in order to bring new life into the world.
    Otherwise, STFU. You get off lightly.
    We're talking about unwanted children here. Women have all of the power and they can make men effectively their slaves (in the US), but that's okay with a misandrist like you. They deserve it, right?

    As for this biological inequality, artificial wombs are coming. Then women will be obsolete as well.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  10. #70
    FigerPuppet
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    There is often this assumption that people are not allowed to complain or express frustration. People generally do not choose which role they play in the reproductive process, so "paying a price" is imposed upon people. There is at least a third option here: do not get snipped, maintain complete control over the reproductive process, and complain about it. A person can desire to reproduce without desiring the specific role they play, so it is reasonable and honest to express frustration. Why is this not "allowed"? and who isn't "allowing" it?

    Some of the old-timey "Protestant" ethics like "don't complain" are just silly and often not entirely honest.
    I agree. I was simply pointing out the usual absurdity of Salomé's argument. According to her, no men - especially not white men - are allowed to complain about anything.

Similar Threads

  1. New drug promises to help peanut allergies
    By Tellenbach in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-06-2016, 01:47 AM
  2. [NT] Time to move out? Is it time to give up?
    By sowhatnow in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-17-2012, 01:38 PM
  3. Chemical Castration drug used to treat Autism
    By InsatiableCuriosity in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-02-2010, 07:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO