User Tag List

12 Last

F CK all I need is U ilikeitlikethat's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so

Default Freefall from the edge of Space - sky dive.

14th October 2012.

Man jumps from stratosphere.

your resident asshole

When I first heard of this I wasn't too impressed, but then I saw a small clip of it on the news and was really amazed. I didn't realize how high up the guy really was until I saw the video. It's so beautiful up there.

Thanks for posting it.

MBTI
    INFJ

I remember when he was planning to do this from a while ago. I was waiting to see this actually happen.

Not only did he jump from so high up but he also hit mach 1.24 the way back down. He went faster than the speed of sound at that altitude. That's a big deal.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Not only did he jump from so high up but he also hit mach 1.24 the way back down. He went faster than the speed of sound at that altitude. That's a big deal.
    Yeah, I saw that... what was it, 833mph or something?

That is just unimaginable. Can you mentally envision flying that fast? Wow. Like a bullet.

I think Star Trek beat him by two years (with the trio air-dropped onto the planet-sized mining drill), but.... yes, pretty amazing stuff. I can't imagine falling for over four minutes without hitting anything.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Yeah, I saw that... what was it, 833mph or something?

That is just unimaginable. Can you mentally envision flying that fast? Wow. Like a bullet.

I think Star Trek beat him by two years (with the trio air-dropped onto the planet-sized mining drill), but.... yes, pretty amazing stuff. I can't imagine falling for over four minutes without hitting anything.
    I think it was 729, but at the altitude he was at, sound is is a little bit slower. At the same speed on sea level it wouldn't break the sound barrier, but at the height he was it does break the sound barrier. It's epic fast regardless.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I think it was 729, but at the altitude he was at, sound is is a little bit slower. At the same speed on sea level it wouldn't break the sound barrier, but at the height he was it does break the sound barrier. It's epic fast regardless.
    I knew I saw the other figure somewhere. Not sure which is correct. Here's Salon, from noon today:

Yesterday, Austrian skydiver Felix Baumgartner dropped down to Earth from 24 miles, reaching 833 miles per hour. He is the first human to break the sound barrier without the aid of a space shuttle or supersonic jet.
    http://www.salon.com/2012/10/15/feli...peed_of_sound/

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ

I knew I saw the other figure somewhere. Not sure which is correct. Here's Salon, from noon today:

http://www.salon.com/2012/10/15/feli...peed_of_sound/
    Yeah they probably didn't do their research and just grabbed the number from the sea level calculation of sound.

Speed of sound is dependent on temperature, humidity, and air density. It travels slower when the air is cold, thin, and dry - basically the higher up you are, the less speed you need to have for a given mach number.

your resident asshole

At one point he was tumbling out of control and there was a fear that he could have lost consciousness during this because he was falling and spinning so fast. Thankfully he didn't black out.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    At one point he was tumbling out of control and there was a fear that he could have lost consciousness during this because he was falling and spinning so fast. Thankfully he didn't black out.
    Yeah I was looking at that and going "Wow. That really can't be good for him. Oh good, he's stabilized now." It's pretty amazing that he was able to keep it together through that. It had to be hard on his body.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Yeah I was looking at that and going "Wow. That really can't be good for him. Oh good, he's stabilized now." It's pretty amazing that he was able to keep it together through that. It had to be hard on his body.
    How many jumps overall has he made? Over 2000? I can't imagine dealing with what he was dealing with here -- I mean, you're confined in the suit, you're feeling like you're not moving visually although you are moving very quickly, you're probably experiencing some type of vertigo and disorientation, then you start spinning... what a wild ride. (I get ill enough in certain rides that spin around, enough to puke...)

He did have emergency chutes that were supposed to trigger at a certain height but that would be pretty scary to pass out and hope they work... plus be unable to guide your own landing.