User Tag List

Default I seriously do not see what is wrong with this cartoon

I cant believe this is banned and the reasons why, especially given things like South Park's Jew baiting and starving marvin character.

I'd looked for this video for a long time and believed it lost, given that it was reportedly so on the wiki too, I love the poem of which this story is derived and I remember seeing the cartoon in its complete form recorded on an old VHS when I was a kid after a longer feature called Tubby The Tuba and then later in an abridged format on a TV show featuring Rolf Harris drawing cartoon characters and then playing clips from animation.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Well, here's a thread on another forum that I found that discusses various banned cartoons (and this one is mentioned).
    http://www.toonzone.net/forums/showt...s#.UHtdv8XhrkY

The issue seems to usually be racial stereotyping of some sort, and the Muslim/Middle-Eastern thing seems to be the new area nowadays where there's a lot of tension (as opposed to past issues with black and then Asian stereotyping).

As far as South Park goes, that is explicitly parody and the racists (like Cartman) are actually being made fun of and shown to be buffoons as well (it's self-deprecating), whereas these cartoons are more straightforward in their humor and seem to just be making fun of those from other cultures. In this case, I guess depicting Abdul as a bumbling fat bearded villain (similar in design to other cartoon villains of the day) is causing it to draw fire from critics.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

This reminds me of the episode of Drew Carey where he got sued for sexual harassment because he displayed the following cartoon in his cubicle:

For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    INFJ

One thing I can think of is that some are a bit sensitive about "Abdul" because that isn't even a name in itself, and using it as a singular stereotypical name can be seen as culturally insensitive, especially since it is so prolific. Some times it even bugs me when a character is given the name "Abdul" by itself. It's a compound that roughly means "servant of" so it's always paired with the actual name, it's not a stand alone.

It's akin to naming a Chinese character "Ching Chong Ching". It's insensitive.

Edit: and yeah, now and then there's somebody who accepts Abdul as their given name in English, but it's actually not proper.

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    One thing I can think of is that some are a bit sensitive about "Abdul" because that isn't even a name in itself, and using it as a singular stereotypical name can be seen as culturally insensitive, especially since it is so prolific. Some times it even bugs me when a character is given the name "Abdul" by itself. It's a compound that roughly means "servant of" so it's always paired with the actual name, it's not a stand alone.

Edit: and yeah, now and then there's somebody who accepts Abdul as their given name in English, but it's actually not proper.

Its from a poem/musical piece though.

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post

Its from a poem/musical piece though.

Anyway, I dont see it as racist, anymore than I see the leprechaun in Simpsons which tells Ralf Wigham to burn things as being racist against Irish people, I loved that cartoon and I remembered it from childhood as being about two of the greatest of two opposing armies fighting, the bit at the end in which both are immortalised mid-duel in the water spout proves no clear victor either. Although the original poem does that too and was meant to be a warning against personal hubris, although perhaps it is more pro-Russian and less pro-Arab but it dates from the time when world war one was fought.

Although I understand that the west is self-censoring in the face of the craziness which is going on in the middle east, in some ways I think Public Enemy's rerecording of Eve of Destruction (moving the focus more from China to the Middle East) is pretty apt. Maybe its just a matter of time before some crazy idiot is dispatched from a destabilised or disintegrating state with a suitcase nuke or something like that with a vague grievance about cartoons.