User Tag List

12 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default Is it possible or even a worthwhile goal to try and make the world a saner place?

Just wondering, its something which I think has been a kind of unconsious goal or at least something I've read a lot about without examining in the first instance.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Define "sane"!

Do you mean to reduce mental illnesses?
    Do you mean to get people to act less on impulse and/or emotions? Because irationality seems to be deeply rooted and even has some evolutionary benefits.
    Do you mean to make people act more reasonable? If so, by whose standards? When it comes to ideologies, one man's obvious truth is another man's madness.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    Define "sane"!

Do you mean to reduce mental illnesses?
    Do you mean to get people to act less on impulse and/or emotions? Because irationality seems to be deeply rooted and even has some evolutionary benefits.
    Do you mean to make people act more reasonable? If so, by whose standards? When it comes to ideologies, one man's obvious truth is another man's madness.
    And only one of those men is right.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    And only one of those men is right.
    I find it more likely that neither are right.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

It is definitely a worthwhile goal, and I find it begins with oneself. It is possible to have a "sane" influence on others. It often involves remaining calm, having a thick skin, but a soft heart. The human mind is vulnerable to distorted thinking, but with sincere desire, reason can be a light.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

If you work toward a more empathetic world, people will seem much more sane and tolerable to you.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    I find it more likely that neither are right.
    That'd make you wrong. Gravity really exists. For you're welfare I'd recommend you dont test it as opinion.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    It is definitely a worthwhile goal, and I find it begins with oneself. It is possible to have a "sane" influence on others. It often involves remaining calm, having a thick skin, but a soft heart. The human mind is vulnerable to distorted thinking, but with sincere desire, reason can be a light.
    I agree with that, I also agree with Ghandi's idea that you have to be the change you want to see in the world too.

The Work of Children

The work of children is play, and the purpose of play is to learn the difference between the imagination and reality.

Unfortunately many don't have the opportunity to learn the difference between imagination and reality, and so they confuse imagination and reality as adults.

Religion is the perfect example of the confusion of imagination and reality. And we have to look no further than mbti to see the confusion between imagination and reality.

So we can make a saner world by creating safe places for children to play to learn the difference between imagination and reality.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

I think so. It has to be enforced physically like in the book Everfree where humans are infected with a virus that causes them to release dopamine, serotonin, and oxytocin when they do kind things for others.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.