User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it possible or even a worthwhile goal to try and make the world a saner place?

Things carry on as they oft do.

I don't know if you meant anything towards this, but the world is more sane today than it ever has been.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    That'd make you wrong. Gravity really exists. For you're welfare I'd recommend you dont test it as opinion.
    I certainly know people who believe that the existence of gravity is an obvious truth, and nobody who believes it is madness. So my statement (which was made about likelyhood) would not even be applicable.

Can you enumerate the things that some people find obviously true and others find to be madness, and count what percent of these situations in which both were found to be wrong?

I made my own list:
    Different religions
    Different economic philosophies
    Different hypotheses regarding the mechanism underlying phenomenon

In most of the cases I've come across, I have found that both sides of the debate have been wrong. Perhaps one side less so than the other. But the history of human belief is a history of being wrong and correcting ourselves.

Considering the probability of being wrong is so high, I find it likely that two people are wrong. If they are disagreeing, I think the chances are higher that both are wrong...which is amusing, because we are disagreeing. That is the great thing about probabalistic statements. These kinds of statements get averaged out rather than becoming self-contradictory, like definitive statements tend to.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

I don't think humanity will ever be sane, unless we evolve into higher lifeforms that proves to create what you may call "sanity".
    For all we know, we may even become more insane, whatever the subjective definition of that is.

I don't see the point to trying to create that goal. You don't even have a foundation in which to build it. First, you need to define "sane" and "insane". Is it the majority's definition? Is it Mr. Whiskers, the cat next door's definition? Maybe it is Joe Bloe's, who survives on ramen noodles and water?
    Second, you have so many hurdles to get through that it is actually impossible to do so, unless you have a machine that can change the mindsets of people to your own definition of sanity. Even that may not solve the issue. The best you could probably do is make a minute difference that will likely be erased. You could do better if you reach a magnitude, like Martin Luther King Jnr. But if you look at him, insanity (or sanity?) caused his downfall.

Those are my thoughts to ponder on.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    And only one of those men can be is right.
    Fixed. For the most part I agree with ygolo. If two people are arguing over something, it is generally because there is insufficient information available to prove either postulate, and thus probably insufficient information available for either one of them to have come to the correct conclusion to begin with (save for those instances of a binary nature): "Is this right or wrong?", "Which one of these plans is better?"***, etc.

***This, of course, requires a clear definition of what it means to be better.