User Tag List

Default Time Warner complains about Google Fiber

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201...dvantage.shtml

Here is a summary:
    Time Warner is complaining that Google has an unfair advantage over other ISPs for trying to get Google Fiber into Kansas City. Insofar, other ISP companies have been irritated that Google has begun the process of getting Google Fiber into Kansas City.

There are some hypocritical statements at play here.

1: ISPs are already given government subsidies to build better infrastructure. Some cities and more rural areas have not seen that subsidy gone to any use. Some rural communities near where I live don't even get 56k let alone an internet connection.

and

2: Due to the government, ISPs that have bought neighborhoods where they can stake their ISP essentially have a monopoly in the neighborhood they serve. This means that even though I want a different service provider besides AT&T, I am not allowed to because it is my only ISP in this spot.

The notion that there is an unfair advantage because the city is giving Google the ability to place fiber around Kansas City, while the other ISPs have wasted $1.2 trillion dollar in subsidies while not even touching fiber is one of the biggest hypocritical statements there is when it comes to an ISP company of any kind.

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Our dial-up here is 28.8...max.
    Sooo, we got a hotspot. I think that's what it's called. It was that or satellite and everybody said that it sucked.
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by PuddleRiver View Post
    Sooo, we got a hotspot. I think that's what it's called. It was that or satellite and everybody said that it sucked.
    how do you survive with 28.8(or did you?)

Satellite has decent download but horrendous upload speed. It usually costs about or more than Cable/DSL (which can do better.) So yes, in a way, it does suck. Not to mention if the weather gets bad, there goes your internet.

I'm guessing you mean Wi-Fi? Depending on how many people you share with, it can get faster or slower depending on the day, but it can definitely be better than 28.8 >.<...... But a dedicated connection all to yourself would definitely be better.

MBTI
    INFJ

We're not in Kansas anymore. Oh, wait, no. We are in Kansas. Damn. Or wait, maybe we're not? Kansas City is in Kansas and Missouri! Which side of the river are we on?

Seriously though. How is this still going on? Sounds like something out of the 90's.
    Cables don't magic themselves into place. Somebody has to do it and they can't complain if they aren't the ones.

I remember waiting for cable, and was all like "Put yo cable right down here! I don't care who you are as long as you got it!" I was one of the first to get cable internet from some local provider. I was pwning the noobs in Quake with a two digit ping before anyone else had one. Got me kicked off servers lol.

So yeah, anyway. Nobody wants to venture if there aren't customers. They should be glad that Google is taking a step, possibly for areas that don't get much service because frankly almost nobody lives there. Companies tend to be reluctant to roll out a cable for like five people.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Quote Originally Posted by PuddleRiver View Post
    Jesus christ! I was complaining about my 17 mbps connection O.O
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    INTP

Whenever a telecom giant makes a statement, assume the exact opposite is the truth

Unlimited data? The exact opposite is true

Competitive business practice? Code word for monopoly

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

As far as I know (which isn't a hell of a lot) we have it all to ourselves (hotspot thingy) through the cell phone tower that's not far from the house. I just plug it in and shazaam! The internets!

28.8 kbps was hell.
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~