User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Default Republicans hate science. Don't try to deny it.

Paul Broun's beliefs are ridiculous, but the fact that the Republican party put this idiot on the House Science Committee is infuriating. I want to punch an evangelical in the face.

Rep. Paul Broun (R-GA) tore into scientists as tools of the devil in a speech at the Liberty Baptist Church Sportsman’s Banquet last month.

“All that stuff I was taught about evolution and embryology and the Big Bang Theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of Hell,” Broun said. “And it’s lies to try to keep me and all the folks who were taught that from understanding that they need a savior.”

According to Broun, the scientific plot was primarily concerned with hiding the true age of the Earth. Broun serves on the House Science Committee, which came under scrutiny recently after another one of its Republican members, Rep. Todd Akin (R-MO), suggested that victims of “legitimate rape” have unnamed biological defenses against pregnancy.

“You see, there are a lot of scientific data that I’ve found out as a scientist that actually show that this is really a young Earth,” he said. “I don’t believe that the Earth’s but about 9,000 years old. I believe it was created in six days as we know them. That’s what the Bible says.”

Broun — a physician, with an M.D. and a B.S. in chemistry — is generally considered to be among the most conservative members of Congress, if not the most. He drew national attention in 2010 for saying he did not know if President Obama was an American citizen.

In his speech, a clip of which was provided to TPM by The Bridge Project, a non-profit progressive tracker, Broun credited his literal Biblical interpretation with driving his approach to government.
    The full 47-minute speech, posted by the Liberty Baptist Church, can be found here.

“What I’ve come to learn is that it’s the manufacturer’s handbook, is what I call it,” he said. “It teaches us how to run our lives individually, how to run our families, how to run our churches. But it teaches us how to run all of public policy and everything in society. And that’s the reason as your congressman I hold the holy Bible as being the major directions to me of how I vote in Washington, D.C., and I’ll continue to do that.”

TPM reached out to a spokeswoman for Broun, but did not immediately receive a response.
    http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/20...it-of-hell.php
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Honestly, though, isn't this old news?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

The Republican party is a disgrace. I don't know what else to say.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

It's not so much the political group as it is the "religious nutjob" group. Unfortunately these two groups overlap in the states far, far, FAR more than those two categories ever should.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI

It depends if you mean real Republicans who believe in the traditional conservative values or these evangelical and corporate whackjobs who've hijacked the party and are corrupting conservative political terms for their own ideological gain.

Cause those guys hate science, yes, but insofar as I was when I was just a standard conservative, I didn't hate science at all. I hate science more now as a libertarian than I did as a conservative
    "Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away." -Ekaku Hakuin
    http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...psdunkqmep.png
    5w4 . IEI . Chaotic Good
    Right-Libertarian Minarchist

MBTI
    INTP

Opposition to critical thinking is canon policy.

Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values
    clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based
    Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging
    the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority.
    From page 12

http://s3.amazonaws.com/texasgop_pre...form_Final.pdf

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post

From page 12

There was an entire thread on this already.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Devil's talk, science is, all of it. You want to distract yourself from the REAL issues at hand to explore things like embryology (lolz who cares about embryos??? hippies, thats who, dirty hippies) go right ahead. But when your kids suck at life don't come crying to me.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post

From page 12

and they still get votes despite these shenanigans
    Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    St. Stephen took rocks and St. Sebastian took arrows. You only have to take some jerks on an internet forum. Nut up.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

I don't understand why you guys never hesitate to lump all republicans together, but when some idiot of a democrat shows up he's automatically some kind of fringe member that doesn't represent the party at all...

There are idiots in both parties, while it's true that there are trends, it's simply annoying how you all seem to act as if things like this are true of all republicans...