User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    Oh? Me cynical? No way!

That's great though, I can't stand people like you either. Looking down on others for holding a different perspective.

I don't think I'm being practical, and I'm not quite sure why you'd assume that. The lazy choice would be not to vote at all rather than to help those that are closer to your views.
    No, I look down on others for being lazy. Going with the flow is easy.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

A vote for a politician is like buying a grab bag of DVDs. It doesn't necessarily mean that you like all of them, rather, it means that you saw some you liked and decided to put up with the extras. There is no politician that perfectly represents anyone's views other than his or her own, you're going to have to put up with some views you don't agree with. Pretending that voting for someone means that you are supporting everything they stand for is just... nonsense.
    Whether you support their views or not is irrelevant. By voting for them, you are giving all of their views your approval. Period. End of discussion.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Whether you support their views or not is irrelevant. By voting for them, you are giving all of their views your approval. Period. End of discussion.
    So... you're suggesting if a politician has a single view that you don't support... it would be better not to vote than to put up with that one issue?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

So... you're suggesting if a politician has a single view that you don't support... it would be better not to vote than to put up with that one issue?
    Nope, you just can't pretend that your vote isn't giving approval. It is giving approval, even to the stuff you don't agree with.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Nope, you just can't pretend that your vote isn't giving approval. It is giving approval, even to the stuff you don't agree with.
    *sigh* I don't see it that way. I view a vote as a sign that that politician represents your views better than the other choice. Voting is frequently a lesser of two evils decision for me. I'd rather support the lesser evil than letting the guy I think is going to fuck up our country into office. It doesn't mean that I support everything that he or she stands for, it means that I believe that they will mess things up less than the alternative. There never has been, and I highly doubt there ever will be a politician that mirrors my views perfectly, so I continue to vote for the closest views available.

Actually, I think the view that a vote is giving approval to all views that a politician holds is part of the reason our country's politics are so messed up right now...

If you want to maintain that perspective of what a vote means, that's great, but I simply don't see it that way.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

You're simplifying things far too much.
    this
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

*sigh* I don't see it that way. I view a vote as a sign that that politician represents your views better than the other choice. Voting is frequently a lesser of two evils decision for me. I'd rather support the lesser evil than letting the guy I think is going to fuck up our country into office. It doesn't mean that I support everything that he or she stands for, it means that I believe that they will mess things up less than the alternative. There never has been, and I highly doubt there ever will be a politician that mirrors my views perfectly, so I continue to vote for the closest views available.

Actually, I think the view that a vote is giving approval to all views that a politician holds is part of the reason our country's politics are so messed up right now...

If you want to maintain that perspective of what a vote means, that's great, but I simply don't see it that way.
    Your choice is to vote for a party known for being "crazy" and a party known for being "useless." Pick one.

Second, ever understand the concept of a group?

Three, ever understand that committees often have a bigger voice than representatives themselves? Note: Science Committee.

Four. So I'm interested, what are these so called "views" that make you want to vote for a Republican instead. What makes you say that a Republican is so called the "lesser of two evils."

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    471 sx/sp

I don't see how we can jump from "this one politician doesn't agree with one theory in science" to "all republicans hate science." That seems unfair.
    <3 Icarus <3

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    Four. So I'm interested, what are these so called "views" that make you want to vote for a Republican instead. What makes you say that a Republican is so called the "lesser of two evils."
    You want me to explain everything I agree with the Republican party on over the Democratic party? Seems like that could take a while to try to find them all...

The big one, as I've explained before, is that I don't believe in large federal government. I'm more for state's rights and smaller federal government, which seems to be more of a Republican thing, with the democrats supporting larger federal government. This is kind of my large over-arching reason which covers many smaller reasons.

In general, I've never really been for the Democratic views of regulation of business, though that isn't a major point for me, it helps push me towards voting Republican.

Gun control... That kind of falls under my first reason though.

Of course, there are things that I agree with the Democrats on, but the things I disagree with them on tend to outweigh them in importance, in my opinion.

I hardly think my reasons matter though. Only my vote matters.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

There are a lot of republicans in science circles even in California a lot of people I meet in engineering, mathematics, physics, etc tend to be republicans, but I have noticed they tend to hold onto this mystical view from the past that biology and consciousness have 0 overlap. I think that particular form of resistance comes from thoughts like "if only these silly people had more self control/intelligence/drive then their problems would vanish." It's the lack of compassion, inability to place themselves in another person's shoes, and the arrogant ignorance that disregards the mounds of sociological, physchological, and neurological data that contradicts that "worldview" that disturbs me.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.