User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    Unfortunately, with our wonderful two party system we only really have two choices. Call yourself an independent if you want, but it's really a moot point; you still have to choose Republican or Democrat. I vote Republican, not because I hate science, or love religion, but because I hate the Democratic party more and the Republicans represent my views better albeit not perfectly...
    It's that thinking that perpetuates the 2-party system.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    It's that thinking that perpetuates the 2-party system.
    I'm sure that wasting my vote voting Libertarian would be a far superior choice.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

They have no power in that party.
    no, but when you talk about the Republican Party, you are talking about everyone in the Republican Party and I'm sure a large percentage of them do not hate science.
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I'm sure that wasting my vote voting Libertarian would be a far superior choice.
    Well, there are actually some modifications to the electoral system that would make third parties viable. The proper thing to do is not vote for a third party but make electoral reform an issue when pressuring Republicans and Democrats and deciding who to vote for. Unfortunately, very few Americans seem to be that informed or imaginative.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    no, but when you talk about the Republican Party, you are talking about everyone in the Republican Party and I'm sure a large percentage of them do not hate science.
    In practice, there is no difference between hating science, voting for a science hating politician, or voting for a non-science hating Republican who will allow a science hater to join the House Science committee. The result is the same. They are enablers.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

In practice, there is no difference between hating science, voting for a science hating politician, or voting for a non-science hating Republican who will allow a science hater to join the House Science committee. The result is the same.
    You're simplifying things far too much.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

It's only a wasted vote in the most cynical sense. Someone has to start the defection.

I honestly cannot stand people who take positions like yours. You think you're being practical, but you're really just being lazy.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

You're simplifying things far too much.
    Elaborate.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

It's only a wasted vote in the most cynical sense. Someone has to start the defection.

I honestly cannot stand people like you. You think you're being practical, but you're really just being lazy.
    Oh? Me cynical? No way!

That's great though, I can't stand people like you either. Looking down on others for holding a different perspective.

I don't think I'm being practical, and I'm not quite sure why you'd assume that. The lazy choice would be not to vote at all rather than to help those that are closer to your views.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Elaborate.
    A vote for a politician is like buying a grab bag of DVDs. It doesn't necessarily mean that you like all of them, rather, it means that you saw some you liked and decided to put up with the extras. There is no politician that perfectly represents anyone's views other than his or her own, you're going to have to put up with some views you don't agree with. Pretending that voting for someone means that you are supporting everything they stand for is just... nonsense.