Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sp
    Socionics
    INTp

And Democrats, Libertarians and Greens are all geniuses; personal beliefs encroach into everyone’s view of the world and science, some to a greater level then others. He represents the people of his district well enough to get elected, and they are the only ones he needs to answer to, and if he is smart in one area and eccentric in another so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    I don't understand why you guys never hesitate to lump all republicans together, but when some idiot of a democrat shows up he's automatically some kind of fringe member that doesn't represent the party at all...

There are idiots in both parties, while it's true that there are trends, it's simply annoying how you all seem to act as if things like this are true of all republicans...
    Platform.

A rep that is less than one mile away from my district is part of the GOP. I'd say he is smarter than most, if not all, of these nutjobs in the GOP.

But like I said, the platform speaks a bunch about a group. Don't want to be part of that group? Change to an independent or something. Because whether you are part of the Democrats, GOP, libertarian, Green, P&F, etc, the group will speak louder than you. If you don't want to be part of that platform, change it or leave it.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Groups do have an identity. Why do you bother registering or identifying with a party at all if you disagree? Being anti-science is definitely more of a part of the Republican identity than the Democratic one. To be taken seriously in Republican primaries you essentially have to deny global warming, be open to creationism in schools, and oppose stem cell research. I'm sure there are more Republican young earth creationists in congress than Democrat ones, and apparently one is on the science committee. Being against abortion or hostile to homosexuality doesn't automatically come with poor scientific understanding, but it often does. You have people saying crap like Todd Akin did (also on the science committee). Does anyone remember when a book came out that said AIDS could be transmitted through sweat and tears, and then senate majority leader Bill Frist, who is a physician, refused to deny the validity of that?

I could go on and on. Saying the two parties are equally bad about science is patently untrue. Saying that those Republicans who are anti-science are irrelevant fringe members totally ignores their numbers, their rank, and the influence their beliefs have on party platform. If you're registered as Republican and you're pissed about being associated with them, you can do two things. You can spend your time trying to bring them down instead of bitching at the rest of us who try to bring them down, or you can stop registering as a Republican.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I find it strange and I think Chomsky has written some good stuff about this and the role of the emergent tea party and other libertarian strains, while the religious angle is popular with cultural conservatives, particularly those of a blue collar, liberal hating variety, the real constituency of the GOP, the uber richies, they dont want to live in a theocracy anymore than anyone else.

Although I'm not sure that some of the more ridiculous varieties of religious mania in the US arent big upped by the village athiests to score points, I know plenty of Texan or southern church goers who're nut crazy creationist wing nuts, wife beaters etc.

There was a good book brought out years ago by someone who'd written another book called Surplus Powerlessness on this topic which I loved, it was about religious strains in politics and how neither right nor left were correct about religion but that in particular, what passes for the left in the states just didnt want to know and was happy to throw the baby out with the bathwater and was more disturbed by the idea of religion which could be reconciled with science and wasnt the bogeyman of their favourite terrible tales.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    people like to stereotype, don't deny it
    True That.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

people like to stereotype, don't deny it
    The Republican Party put this science hater on the science committee. Why would GOP do that unless they approved of his views? And if the GOP is putting science haters on the science committee, claiming they hate science is not unreasonable. Given all the other crap this party has done, the evidence is overwhelming. The Republicans hate science. If you call yourself a Republican and you don't hate science, leave the party.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    The Republican Party put this science hater on the science committee. Why would GOP do that unless they approved of his views? And if the GOP is putting science haters on the science committee, claiming they hate science is not unreasonable. Given all the other crap this party has done, the evidence is overwhelming. The Republicans hate science. If you call yourself a Republican and you don't hate science, leave the party.
    I don't call myself a Republican, but I know plenty of intelligent Republicans who do not hate science (my neighbor right across the street is a Republican, and he's a rocket scientist)
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    The Republicans hate science. If you call yourself a Republican and you don't hate science, leave the party.
    Unfortunately, with our wonderful two party system we only really have two choices. Call yourself an independent if you want, but it's really a moot point; you still have to choose Republican or Democrat. I vote Republican, not because I hate science, or love religion, but because I hate the Democratic party more and the Republicans represent my views better albeit not perfectly...

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I don't call myself a Republican, but I know plenty of intelligent Republicans who do not hate science (my neighbor right across the street is a Republican, and he's a rocket scientist)
    They have no power in that party.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."