First 678910 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    He wasn't explicit there, but the absurdity of it is that PBS costs extremely little. It is a totally irrelevant part of the budget. It's a red herring as an example of government waste, and it's totally impractical as a source of spending cuts.
    But of course. He needs to provide facts to back it up though.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    He wasn't explicit there, but the absurdity of it is that PBS costs extremely little. It is a totally irrelevant part of the budget. It's a red herring as an example of government waste, and it's totally impractical as a source of spending cuts.
    I don't think you know what impractical means. That's like saying taking one step in a marathon is impractical.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    All the election promises.... Does anybody ever capture them and compare them to what happened?
    No. No one ever does that on the Internet.

Obviously the problem isn't "holding people accountable," it's being smart enough to sift through all the competing arguments about what or what wasn't really accomplished. After awhile it all becomes noise. I feel bad for the bulk of the voting populace that is hit by so much competing data, they have no idea how to sift through it accurately. No wonder so many people say "screw it" and just vote for the guy they like the most or vote for someone who models their ethical ideals; it's the only stable anchor they can find in a political process full of noise, lies, and half-truths.

EDIT:

"Breaking News:Unemployment falls to 7.8%, lowest since Jan. 2009"

Yeah. It's only ABCNews. What the hell do they know? No one holds anyone accountable anymore.

Now we just have to figure out how to interpret this nefarious piece of data.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    If you need help making this bearable...

Ouh thats going to be an expensive evening
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

So aside from all the pundits, has anyone seen any polls that might show impact from the debate? Just curious.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    So aside from all the pundits, has anyone seen any polls that might show impact from the debate? Just curious.
    Ppppolls has Obama down by only one point in VA comparing pre and post debate polls.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Ppppolls has Obama down by only one point in VA comparing pre and post debate polls.
    Thanks. I haven't had a lot of time to research it yet, I was just curious what people might have heard.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

So Romney is now a Democrat. I wonder if he'll be a Republican again next week.

Obama did a horrible job of refuting Romney's claims. He seemed woefully unprepared.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I said I'd believe it when I see it. Now I've seen it, and I believe it.

Electoral map with toss ups.

Electoral map without toss ups.

As you can see, Obama is not exactly losing right now, but the margin of projected votes he has lost from before the debate is worth considering. In the toss up map, Ohio went from leaning Obama to toss up, costing him 18 votes. The no toss up map, which is more extreme and spurious, has seen Obama lose Florida and North Carolina, costing him 44 votes. Virginia is verging on Romney's side.

Chuck Krauthammer's assertion that Romney is now up "two touchdowns" is a big exaggeration. He's still behind. He is not, however, as badly behind. This in and of itself is not doom for Obama, but if it gets worse his campaign will be entering the red zone. The damage has to end here. He needs to win the next debate. Hopefully the VP debate won't go badly in the mean time. Also, I suspect his campaign is going to run with the 7.8% unemployment rate all the way to the 16th, and I think they should.

For the record, this change in most of those stats was created by a few percentage points. Basically around two percent lost in each. That probably makes it sound a bit less dramatic.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I don't think you know what impractical means. That's like saying taking one step in a marathon is impractical.
    There are plenty of small items in the budget that could all be removed and it would hardly help at all. And a politician's decision to cut those in no way signals that he or she will actually cut anything else. Romney, like so many other avoids mentioned what substantial portions of the budget he'd cut. Starting with the smallest stuff and working your way up is basically the worst way to do it. Many relatively cheap parts of the budget exist practically as a matter of necessity, and there's the fact that there's a correlation between the cost and inefficiency (this should be obvious). The most expensive items in the budget are the ones making the poorest use of their funding, dollar for dollar. It makes sense to go after them first.

If someone says they want to cut PBS, it's a red flag that there's something they don't want you to know. It could be that the math of his or her plan does not add up at all, or it could be that he or she really intends to decimate medicare, or something else nobody likes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    So Romney is now a Democrat. I wonder if he'll be a Republican again next week.

Obama did a horrible job of refuting Romney's claims. He seemed woefully unprepared.
    That's pretty much exactly what I thought.

I'm a bit pissed at Obama for doing so badly, but I will at least cut him some slack for that. I'd have a hard time debating somebody who did a 180 on most of their policies and developed a case of amnesia right before the debate too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    "Breaking News:Unemployment falls to 7.8%, lowest since Jan. 2009"

Yeah. It's only ABCNews. What the hell do they know? No one holds anyone accountable anymore.

Now we just have to figure out how to interpret this nefarious piece of data.
    Conservative media has already begun a dubious offensive claiming these numbers are cooked by the administration.
    Go to sleep, iguana.