User Tag List

First 31112131415 Last

I give the edge to Obama, but I don't think it will mean much in polling the next few days because Romney did pound on Obama's economic record and there just wasn't anything for undecideds to be excited about.

Also, it was tough for Romney to debate two people. I actually expected Candy to not be as partisan as she was. Trying to make a factual correction (on a debatable point) in the middle of the debate was a huge misstep.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

The Iron Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    I actually expected Candy to not be as partisan as she was. Trying to make a factual correction (on a debatable point) in the middle of the debate was a huge misstep.
    I wish she had done it throughout on every point (both candidates of course). The news doesn't do enough of that, and they're supposed to be working for us. Maybe that was the only error she noticed.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    We regard Presidential elections with horror, for we don't vote for a leader, we vote for Parliamentary Parties and the Parliament decides on our leader.

It's plain to us that Presidential elections are personality elections. And why not - for both Presidential Parties are Parties of business - so there is nothing to choose between them except personality.
    We don't have a head of state here separate from the head of government. Our president must fill both roles, which is a tall order after our often nasty partisan campaigns. By analogy, imagine if you elected the queen.

You don't have to say anything bad about Australia when you are flying killer robots out of Adelaide, South Australia at night, and stationing the world's greatest killing machine, the US Marines, in Darwin, Australia.

And to add insult to injury you designate an Australian journalist, Julian Assange, an Enemy of the State and use subterfuge to render him to the USA.

Your actions surely speak louder than words.
    Exactly whose actions are you criticising?
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    I wish she had done it throughout on every point (both candidates of course). The news doesn't do enough of that, and they're supposed to be working for us. Maybe that was the only error she noticed.
    It was a debatable point not a fact.

i understand that it's not ideal to have two people lying to america for an hour and a half, but at least most reasonable people recognise they have to take everything said with a grain of salt. i can't think of anything worst than giving one person the standing as arbiter of "the facts" in a political exercise like this. it's just intellectual laziness to want the facts laid out in such a manner rather than piecing together the facts from the postdebate reporting from various sources and personal research.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    INTP

Also, it was tough for Romney to debate two people. I actually expected Candy to not be as partisan as she was.
    I didn't.

According to a CBS instant poll, Obama had a slight edge overall (37-30), but lost big on the economy (65-34). I don't know the how Independents viewed it.

I guess we'll see the effect (if any) after a couple of days when the pollsters start to do polls again. Full disclosure: I'm drinking and watching horror movies rather than watching the debates....I'm not going to change my vote based on debate performance, so why should I give myself an ulcer?

Things I've learned from Obama

1. It's constructive to call your opponent a liar, while not backing up why it is lie, except to quote hear-say or make a convenient generalization that may not even be remotely relevant.

2. It's okay to not answer questions, taking the opportunity to solely defame your opponent instead.

3. Intention matters more over facts. If it was your intent to create jobs, then you did, even if you lost more jobs in the process.

4. Clean energy is more important than first fixing the economy so that it can afford to invest in clean energy.

Ugh, although Obama was aggressive and passionate, he can not seem to debate Romney, constructively. I will be depressed if Obama wins; it'll be the equivalent of a beauty pageant. And I don't even really like Romney, but I'm starting to hate Obama.

The only thing Obama seemed to have Romney almost completely on was China regulations in favor of creating skilled labor. But then again, it's not like I know what Romney even means when he says 'cheating', as he didn't really explain that. But at least Obama was constructive and made his own point about this for once, instead of making a point to attack Romney's points.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    I guess we'll see the effect (if any) after a couple of days when the pollsters start to do polls again. Full disclosure: I'm drinking and watching horror movies rather than watching the debates....I'm not going to change my vote based on debate performance, so why should I give myself an ulcer?
    I watched Audition tonight instead of the debate, and you know what? I'm not sorry... not until one of the candidates starts cutting off body parts for theater's sake.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer
    I don't remember ever saying anything bad about Australia.
    You don't have to say anything bad about Australia when you are flying killer robots out of Adelaide, South Australia at night, and stationing the world's greatest killing machine, the US Marines, in Darwin, Australia.

And to add insult to injury you designate an Australian journalist, Julian Assange, an Enemy of the State and use subterfuge to render him to the USA.

Your actions surely speak louder than words.
    Thank you for agreeing with me (see bold), I'm glad we could concur on this matter in that I have not been insulting Australia when in fact you continue to insult my country on a habitual basis regardless of thread topic.

This is not the thread entitled "Judge/Condemn America," it's actually focused on our current run of Presidential Debates. You know the rules here.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I don't think your country wants my family.
    Why not give the Australian Embassy a ring and inquire about migration? You can have dual citizenship and the deadliest snakes and spiders await you, not to mention the salt water crocodiles and the great white sharks, all backed up by the deadlyist creature in the world the size of your thumb, the irukandji jellyfish.

But don't be afraid, I will stand between you and the snakes, the spiders, the crocodiles, the sharks and the jellyfish - for our economy is booming and we welcome migrants.

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    Things I've learned from Obama

1. It's constructive to call your opponent a liar, while not backing up why it is lie, except to quote hear-say or make a convenient generalization that may not even be remotely relevant.

2. It's okay to not answer questions, taking the opportunity to solely defame your opponent instead.

3. Intention matters more over facts. If it was your intent to create jobs, then you did, even if you lost more jobs in the process.

4. Clean energy is more important than first fixing the economy so that it can afford to invest in clean energy.

Ugh, although Obama was aggressive and passionate, he can not seem to debate Romney, constructively. I will be depressed if Obama wins; it'll be the equivalent of a beauty pageant. And I don't even really like Romney, but I'm starting to hate Obama.

The only thing Obama seemed to have Romney almost completely on was China regulations in favor of creating skilled labor. But then again, it's not like I know what Romney even means when he says 'cheating', as he didn't really explain that. But at least Obama was constructive and made his own point about this for once, instead of making a point to attack Romney's points.
    Are you a low-information voter?

Trying to make a factual correction (on a debatable point) in the middle of the debate was a huge misstep.
    "I am not an advocate of Enlightenment. On the contrary, I see it as a form of light pollution that prevents us from seeing the stars." You really mean it, hm?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

It was a debatable point not a fact.
    How was it debatable? The transcript from the address in the Rose Garden clearly showed him referring to it as an act of terror. Yes, it is debatable whether he meant in a general sense or was specifically calling it a terrorist act, but you can't debate whether he said the words.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/