User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Ginkgo

One only has luck in determining what it means to practice conservatism, whether practicing is a state of mind or an agenda coming full swing.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    News article about scientific study
    Sorry, but I think that study and ones like it are irrelevant, because they depend upon using a very context-specific definition of what a "conservative" or "liberal" is. Unless they used "self-described" as the qualifications to determine whether liberal/conservative, and then still I'm not sure if the lack of coherence would let it stand on its own.

As the OP article points out right off the bat, the first issue is defining it in a way that can be applied in many contexts and still be coherent. It naturally ends up being vague if it accomplishes that, but something can still be said about it, simply as an "inclination" or "tendency" rather than a set of beliefs.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Moral realism and evolution denial. This is really just religion without its proper name, right?
    If that's what you think there's not really much I can do for you.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

In essence, the conservative person is simply one who finds the permanent things more pleasing than Chaos and Old Night. (Yet conservatives know, with Burke, that healthy “change is the means of our preservation.”) A people’s historic continuity of experience, says the conservative, offers a guide to policy far better than the abstract designs of coffee-house philosophers.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    I'm a Kirk fan
    Picard > Kirk

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

In my experience, core conservative principles shared by those of all flavors:

- The essential role of law is to ensure that people can trust one another
    - In most circumstances, stasis is preferable to change
    - Traditions and practices have developed in response to conditions or challenges that may not be easily perceivable in the present
    - These should therefore not be overturned without consideration
    - Humans are not perfectible, and have certain tendencies that no amount of social conditioning will change
    - Consequently, efforts at creating utopias are invariably folly
    - The best we can hope from government is one that is minimally pernicious
    - Those with power are generally scoundrels, even (especially?) those with the best interests of others in mind
    - Mitigation of the consequences of personal decisions on a societal scale generally leads to unforeseeable societal harms
    - Socially unacceptable behavior must be punished as a deterrent to others
    - All roles in society are of equal dignity, provided that they contribute to social well-being as a whole
    - Some roles will entail greater privileges, as a consideration toward the greater responsibilities commensurate with those roles
    - Humans are essentially tribal, and the primary goal of foreign policy should therefore be to prevent attack from other countries
    - The primary social unit is the family, no matter how families are defined in a country
    - Policy should therefore promote the formation and perpetuation of families, or at least refrain from harming them
    - Structures should ensure that those with authority over others are suited to the role
    - Authorities should be respected and obeyed, but only if legitimate
    - There are things that are sacred by their very nature, and ought to be outside of human control

I'll modify if I think of more

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    Sorry, but I think that study and ones like it are irrelevant, because they depend upon using a very context-specific definition of what a "conservative" or "liberal" is. Unless they used "self-described" as the qualifications to determine whether liberal/conservative, and then still I'm not sure if the lack of coherence would let it stand on its own.

As the OP article points out right off the bat, the first issue is defining it in a way that can be applied in many contexts and still be coherent. It naturally ends up being vague if it accomplishes that, but something can still be said about it, simply as an "inclination" or "tendency" rather than a set of beliefs.
    Yeah, I don't have a problem with conservatives who recognize the value of science and who wish to coexist with others. The problem is most conservatives are tribal savages who only want their in group to thrive. The rich conservatives look down on and use those lower on the totem pole for their own ends. I don't understand why they continue to show loyalty to them.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    The problem is most conservatives are tribal savages
    The problem is you are a close minded idiot.

Lurk more, and grow up.

Ginkgo

I live in a liberal city. LA's a very hard place to be unless you have people there that love you. It can be very, very lonely, and it can eat you up if you don't take care of yourself. In LA, nobody wants to talk to each other, everybody's giving each other catty looks.

~ Scarlett Johannson

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    The problem is you are a close minded idiot.

Lurk more, and grow up.
    I was one of you people once. I know your kind from the inside. The little jokes you make, the rationalizations to cover up your fears. Hell Disco, I was you... when I was 16 Why don't you grow up?
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.